Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Guys... What do we know about the "915" 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
Just wondering about diesel type fours in general and remembered reading about the "915" prototype diesel 914 in RMR PCA. Does anyone know anything about it? Or any other type iv diesel engines?
davep
I never heard a thing about it in thirty years. Doubt that a type 4 could be built as a diesel.
bondo
Did you by any chance hear about it in April? The first day of April specifically... biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
a guy in Idaho has a rabbit turbo diesel engine in his 914,
I didnt look to close, cause I didnt want to get diesel on me ,
53mpg he said.
funny when he took off seeing the black plume out the exhaust.
alpha434
No. They made diesel vanagons. I just don't know the years. I found a diesel type 4 for sale in G.B.

The 914 diesel is legendary like the Audi 945. The 944s with the audi gt 5 cylinder.

Back on topic. It was a factory prototype. They did two or three of 'em. It was cool. Etcetera.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 5 2006, 08:38 AM) *

No. They made diesel vanagons. I just don't know the years. I found a diesel type 4 for sale in G.B.

The 914 diesel is legendary like the Audi 945. The 944s with the audi gt 5 cylinder.

Back on topic. It was a factory prototype. They did two or three of 'em. It was cool. Etcetera.

The Vanagon diesel was an inline 4, and awsomely underpowered. You have documentation on the "945" and the "factory prototype" diesel 914? The first VW diesels appeared years later. The Cap'n
alpha434
Both were features in several issues of the Rocky Mountain Region PCA magazine. The 945 is also mentioned in Excellence. And many other sources.
alpha434
1972 VW Type 4 - Diesel Injection Engine: Chassis:
VW Diesel Inj. Hose

Found a store that sells parts for it.
DNHunt
I'm kind of skeptical but everyone loves a good show. Where is Troy? Come on Messix. popcorn[1].gif

Dave
Sammy
I've been driving and working on 914s for 28 years and I have never heard about a diesel type, 4, much less one installed in a 914.
If it existed it is one of the best kept secrets ever.
messix
i don't know type 4's well enough to really rail on him about this one. i'd be talking out my bootyshake.gif just as bad as he is.

it just doesnt seem likely that that 901 tranny would be able to live behind even a small smoker with the low end torque that they make. and with the vw and p car expertice that is represented here idoubt that alpy has discovered something new.

all though what about the elusive grasshopper le car?
alpha434
It's not something new. Porsche expiremented with Diesel power (among everything else). And type 4 diesels were common in their industrial versions. Is there anyone who gets and saves Panorama? It's in there within the last year. The article goes on about how some elderly woman owned one.
fiid
I doubt you could get enough compression with a type IV... for the same reason you can't run high-boost turbos on them - it's hard to get a tight enough seal between the heads and the cylinders.....

Compression ratio on a diesel runs between 14:1 and 25:1
alpha434
Weld the cylinders to the heads. Come on. Give me a hard one.
messix
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 5 2006, 11:39 AM) *

Weld the cylinders to the heads. Come on. Give me a hard one.

well this is to easy......... thats what your sister is for!

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
alpha434
Messix. Start a new thread for screwing around in the sandbox. You can make as much fun as me at you want there.

Besides. You WILL still own a teener in 6 years. Then it's open season.
bondo
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 5 2006, 11:50 AM) *

Messix. Start a new thread for screwing around in the sandbox. You can make as much fun as me at you want there.

What happens in six years?
messix
whats six years got to do with it?

scan the articals and come up with the documentation. shouldn't be so hard if you've already seen it.

if a bunch of old farts that have been around these cars since they where sold new and have had no knowledge of this revelation of old factory prototypes, you must be one hell of a geraldo revera!
Cap'n Krusty
Welding cast iron cylinders, or even "Nikies", is a challenge for even the best of welders ....................... Personally, I doubt the existence of even an experimental T4 or 914 at the factory level. Porsche apparently had a hand in the MB 5 cylinder diesels, and bought the company that made the tractors that were marketed as Porsche vehicles. Might look to "Excellence was Expected" for the answer. The author enjoyed unprecedented access to company archives.

"Show me." The Cap'n
Mueller
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 5 2006, 11:50 AM) *

you are doing a pretty good job yourself right here biggrin.gif hahahaha

JPB
Are ya shure it wasen't a T4 deutz engine? Deutz are cool but sound like they are flying apart and the fuel pump makes a buncha clangin. Hey, they are aircooled diesels though.

beer.gif Ahh yes, the legendary 915DD Deutz diesel. av-943.gif
wbergtho
I drove a parts truck for a truck dealership back in the eighties (I know I'm old) and I recalled it had a Deutz 5 cyl aircooled normally aspirated deisel engine. Oh...one more thing...In the same era, I thought I remember a friend's dad who drove a deisel rabbit...black smoke and all. Maybe this deisel 914 had an old deisel rabbit motor shoved in there...I wouldn't know why you'd do it other than for the gas mileage or if you were really fuckin bored. wacko.gif

Bill
dinomium
There is nothing in the Pano archives about a type iv or 914 with diesel fuel. The diesel line ended production in 1963 with the last model year of the tractors being 1964... The factory that produced the engines went into producing lightweight (?) deisels for NATO tanks, so the last of the tractors were assembled outside.
I do have me some MAD google skizzles YO!

and Alphy, you are not the boss of Troy! He can make fun of you anyplace and anytime... it is easy for him.
beerchug.gif
John
Both were features in several issues of the Rocky Mountain Region PCA magazine.

I believe I have the answer....

Rocky Mountain HIGH. smoke.gif

You are HIGH! Step away from the crackpipe.
grasshopper
..now we know what all those plants were when he posted the pic of the engine in his living room. idea.gif chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.