Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anybody done a Crane optical AND an MSD 6AL install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Well, Headrage and I have muddled thru the Crane install....the instructions SUCKED!!!!

NOW, the MSD Instructions suck worse....anyone BTDT?
TimT
Yes BTDT, about 10-12 years ago... I dont remember the details, but I do remember it was pretty straightforward
Joe Bob
OOpsie....
Joe Bob
We used the white wire and connected to the used to be negative lead from the coil from the Crane Optical unit....

We are also getting less than 12volt at the red wire which is switched power....
Flat VW
Where's SLITS when you need 'um? confused24.gif

John
john rogers
On the MSD box the small red wire has to have switched 12 volts. The white wire should feed to the yellow wire on the crane box if it is the old XR700 system and the red wire on the crane box should also get 12 volts of switched power. The multi pin plug on the crane box goes to the distributor and the other two wires on the MSD box go to the coil + and -. There will be three wires connected together at the power source.
Joe Bob
is there a way to self test the MSD box?
Matt Romanowski
Yes, It's in the instructions.

CHECKING FOR SPARK
If triggering the ignition with the White wire:
1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the “Off” position.
2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and set the
terminal approximately 1/2" from ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD White wire from the distributor’s
points or ignition amplifier.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. Do not crank the
engine.
5. Tap the White wire to ground several times. Each time
you pull the wire from ground, a spark should jump from
the coil wire to ground. If spark is present, the ignition
is working

You can find them at http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/frm23775_6520.pdf
Joe Bob
Ok...pulled the MSD and hooked it back to the Bosch CDI....we are only getting 6v switched power to the + side of the coil.....it runs...but that seems low.
Allan
Okay, just got home.

Thanks Mike for the help today. At least we got the Crane working. Talked to Slits on the way home and he says the optical trigger may need some adjustment to get the timing right.

I'm going to see if I can work on it tomorrow with a fresh head.

Mike, I don't remember if we were feeding 12 volts to the Crane directly with the MSD installed?

BTW, I hate electrical crap!!!
Joe Bob
Check yer email....John called back....
Allan
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 5 2006, 08:46 PM) *

Check yer email....John called back....

Which e mail? Home or office?

Home is agmoore4@sbcglobal.net wink.gif
Aaron Cox
if both the crane and msd need a switched 12v source, you need to split off the original coil + wire...
turboman808
Just took an MSD ignition off my car yesterday. Good ridance.
Aaron Cox
send it my way.

AA
Allan
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 5 2006, 09:50 PM) *

Just took an MSD ignition off my car yesterday. Good ridance.

Why do you say that?

Seems like a solid unit.

I'm just having a Z, er, I mean brain fart trying to hook it up....
Aaron Cox
sorry turbo....

but they do make a big difference on these cars......
multiple spark dishcarge below 3k and an amplified spark above that....

use it with a monster CDI coil, and you will feel the difference and NEVER foul a plug
turboman808
Took it off my civic. Didn't do anything except burn out coils and eat up the distributor caps really fast.

914 has coil packs. Wish I could get those for the honda as well.
Allan
I was re-reading the Crane instructions and on the first page is says that the XR700 needs a ballast resistor. On page ten it says that only the XR300 needs it. confused24.gif

I think I may just take Aarons advice and go with a Pertronix...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 7 2006, 05:18 PM) *

I was re-reading the Crane instructions and on the first page is says that the XR700 needs a ballast resistor. On page ten it says that only the XR300 needs it. confused24.gif

I think I may just take Aarons advice and go with a Pertronix...

Friends don't let friends use Pertronix .......................... The Cap'n
Dr. Roger
your voltage is supposed to drop only after it's been running for a while (ballast resistor keeps voltage high for better cold starts but drops voltage when it gets warm to save the coil.)

if it's 6V right from the get-go there could be the problem.

the picture depicts =-) a straight wire feeding the MSD and the MSD powering the coil... no ballast shown, right?

i ran a new switched power wire with a higher gauge and external ballast to my pertronix/coil setup. it will be going bye-bye soon for a HEI setup.
Allan
This is what I'm seeing:

Hook the Crane up using the weird 6 volt switched power and it runs. Can't get it to time, but it runs.

Throw the msd in the mix using the same weird 6 volt switched power and the crane wont fire.

I'm gonna take some pictures and let everyone take a look at exactly what I'm doing...
Cap'n Krusty
IIRC, the ballast resistors I've seen use a straight to the coil 12v while the car is cranking, and power through the resistor with the ignition switch in the run position. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't make me google it .....................! The Cap'n
Series9
The TurtleGirl project moved itself from ABQ to PDX with this arrangement.

We had a lot of trouble with the Crane optical trigger, so it's been replaced.
john rogers
With the MSD box, the switched 12 volts does not feed the coil, it should never touch the coil connections. The switched 12 volts feeds the MSD box and there are two other leads that feed the coil. If the voltage at the coil is only 6 volts without the MSD box installed and you hook in the MSD box, it will never be high enough to make the MSD box fire so the engine will never run. You will have to get a switched 12 volt source and then it will run. If you do take some picts, make sure they show the color of the wires please.
Aaron Cox
capt,

pertonix's work fine. dont leave the key on for 45 minutes without running.... and the ignitor II'shave that taken care of on their own...

Pertronix hall effect pickup > crane optical
Allan
Interesting info from the 911 guys on the bird board:

been using an xr3000 (next step up) for 5 years now with no problems. here's a few things to note...

first, call their tech line, they are very helpful, and friendly.

second, tach will need new guts. sine wave vs. square wave. old tach is not compatible without converter, and since you've run it, it's probably fried.

third, depending on the coil you are using, you can open up the plug gap. i run mine at .045" with a ps91 coil.

four, timing should be no different. yes, you may have to adjust idle fuel setting. you should either have the new model, with the LED which tell you when it is firing, or use the spark plug "hey, it's sparking" method to set the shutter on the dist shaft. either way, that sets the shutter to the gear, then go from there.

five, (double check this with the tech line) if you are using beru connectors, don't. they have a resistor in the ends that aren't compatible with the ignition. you'll have to switch to a modern low resistance wire set. (i'm not sure if the 700 works in tandem with the CD ignition, or replaces it. the 3000 replaced my CDI) same with the stock coil. there is a limit on the resistance.

SLITS
Those oversized fish eatin' sparrows seem to know some things...............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.