Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shocks/ street koni/red orange in color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I have red / orange koni's set on full SOFT, with stock TBs. Its a five bolt 911 strut car with a V8 and a 930 transmission. I just sold a set of Bilstein shocks because they wouldn't fit my front struts. I have the type that has a cap with threads on the outside of the strut. What are the softest valved shocks for a set up like mine, and what is the name used to describe my front struts? help.gif

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
im not sure what year your suspension is...

PLEASE do not tell me they are "hydro-pneumatics" (some wierd shock offered on early 911's)
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 5 2006, 09:31 PM) *

PLEASE do not tell me they are "hydro-pneumatics" (some wierd shock offered on early 911's)

agree.gif Are you sure the threads are on the outside of the struts?

IIRC there was only a couple of cars that had that and they were earlier that ours..

Could be wrong (Probably am).
drive-ability
Well,
The Koni's fit fine, the strut has a "Cap" not unlike a pluming fitting looks like if you were to cap off a pipe. The "Cap" has a hole in the center just the right size for the shock piston. My old Bilstein shocks had a threaded insert which used threads inside the strut, so that wouldn't work. The threads are on the outside of the strut, that's for sure.
Mueller
Koni Yellows set on full soft....
drive-ability
The Question is still out there, idea.gif
1. Softest Valved shocks for 914 with 5 lug/911 strut ( see # 2 for details)
2. I have 5 lug and the strut is not Borg, so what is it?
The strut has a cap design and the threads are machined on the outside of the
strut housing, a cap is then screwed on with threads inside the cap.
What is that style / design identified as? wacko.gif

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
OK....

strut housings. 3 (4 really) kinds of housings.

A ) Boge. Black. 3" or 3.5" Spacing. Early vs Late respectively. available in both wedge pin, and thru bolt style ball joints. Strut inserts available are, boge, bilstein, koni, mulholland, Kyb, and more.... (MOST COMMON HOUSING)

B ) Bilstein. Green. 3" or 3.5" Spacing. ONLY inserts that fit are Bilsteins DESIGNED for bilstein HOUSINGS. Sport or HD available.

C) Koni housing - 3.5" only i believe. both early and late ball joint styles. only inserts that fit are KONI for KONI housings.....

what color are yours?
drive-ability
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 6 2006, 10:17 AM) *

OK....

strut housings. 3 (4 really) kinds of housings.

A ) Boge. Black. 3" or 3.5" Spacing. Early vs Late respectively. available in both wedge pin, and thru bolt style ball joints. Strut inserts available are, boge, bilstein, koni, mulholland, Kyb, and more.... (MOST COMMON HOUSING)

B ) Bilstein. Green. 3" or 3.5" Spacing. ONLY inserts that fit are Bilsteins DESIGNED for bilstein HOUSINGS. Sport or HD available.

C) Koni housing - 3.5" only i believe. both early and late ball joint styles. only inserts that fit are KONI for KONI housings.....

what color are yours?

Aaron,
The color of the housing is black, the ball joints are held in via wedge pin.
Aaron, I have red/orange koni shocks, they would be considered Street correct and would be softer than the koni yellow? confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
so you have black boge housings.

Koni reds are adjustable. the difference between a red and a yellow, is the amount of stiffness that can be dialed in. i believe they start at the same "reaaally soft" level. yellows can be dialed up waaay stiffer.

Set them on full soft and you are good to go.

what year are these struts off of? we need to know this...
drive-ability
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 6 2006, 10:30 AM) *

so you have black boge housings.

Koni reds are adjustable. the difference between a red and a yellow, is the amount of stiffness that can be dialed in. i believe they start at the same "reaaally soft" level. yellows can be dialed up waaay stiffer.

Set them on full soft and you are good to go.

what year are these struts off of? we need to know this...

I don't know what year the struts are, The parts for the conversion were assembled in 2000 so I think the struts are in that area of age. They were first installed by me and looked new in the last 2 years. They are adjustable and on the softest setting.
Aaron Cox
nothing after 1989 911 suspension parts do not bolt in....

snap a pic dude. we are guessing in the dark....
drive-ability
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 6 2006, 10:54 AM) *

nothing after 1989 911 suspension parts do not bolt in....

snap a pic dude. we are guessing in the dark....

IPB Image
drive-ability
I was thinking the picture would help you guys help me identify the strut housing design. Its a 5 lug 911 with threads on the outside of the housing not inside like the Borg style

IPB Image
sixnotfour
my 87 Carrera has the Boge strut you describe, threaded outside housing.
Aaron Cox
those are A calipers.... so 3.5" spacing.

jeff seems to have hit the nail on the head.....
so order inserts for 87 carerra struts (wont be valved for a 914 tho)
drive-ability
Guys thank you so much for the help, pray.gif I have Koni's on the car now and since it valved for a different car the rougher ride is now understood. Yes I like to have softer ride than almost everybody on this site I guess my Towncar has just spoiled me driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.