Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cant open the engine lid...HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mchamner
Hi, does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to open my engine lid?my 1975 WTF.gif 914 been idle for a while and i was trying to start it back up again by putting a new battery in when.... The damn engine compartment lid knob/opener was stuck and now i cant open it! I tried greasing it and nada happend... please help!
mchamner
oh... if i jack the car up will the cable to open it be exposed? maybe i can just pull it from there and open it...thanks!
Elliot_Cannon
Hit the lid with the palm of your hand and press down while pulling on the knob. Might help. Might not but worth a try if you haven't already tried it.
Elliot
wbergtho
Open up the rear trunk and access the engine lid latch from the plastic cups located by each shock tower. Its no fun but doable.
highways
Put the car on a rotissery and shake it upside down. Ok, it's a joke.
GWN7
You can sometimes trip the latch from the top (Going thru the grill) by using a small screwdriver to push on the latch.
JPB
Just a small rap on the lid as you pull the nob will work. Leave the BFH alone for this one and don't forget to talk to it.

beer.gif Make shure noone is listening though specially on them four letter words like, heat,snow,rain,fuel,road,damn rubr........
JoeSharp
The latch open
Click to view attachment
The latch closed
Click to view attachment
Screwdriver in place to open the lid. Standing next to the car the screwdriver is pointed at your left foot, now push hard.
Click to view attachment
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
tod914
Open the rear trunk lid and trigger the latch with a screw driver. Easy enough to get in from there. Might want to hit the latch with wd40 or pb blaster if its stuck.
cooltimes
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 6 2006, 09:29 AM) *

Open the rear trunk lid and trigger the latch with a screw driver. Easy enough to get in from there. Might want to hit the latch with wd40 or pb blaster if its stuck.

This one gets my vote for the easy fast way.
BMXerror
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 6 2006, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 6 2006, 09:29 AM) *

This one gets my vote for the easy fast way.

This is what I did, but I couldn't open the trunk at the time. I just WD40ed the latch from above, then slipped a screwdriver between the engine lid and the trunk to minipulate the latch. At the time I didn't know how the latch worked, so I looked at the few pictures in the manual to figure it out, then went out and popped it in about a minute.
Mark D.
Air_Cooled_Nut
I found an unexpected way to open my engine bonnet just two days ago:
At a stop light, get some middle-aged, worn-out business man next to you in an older Lexus who keeps eye-balling you from the corners of his eyes while creeping forward at the light, trying to get the jump on you. It also helps to have a nice looking BMW behind you. When the light turns green, stomp on the accelerator and blow the doors off the Lexus. When you hit the other side of the intersection you'll shift into 2nd gear. That's when your engine lid will pop itself open rolleyes.gif

I can only hope everyone watching assumed it was an automatic wing ala Boxster to keep the car on the ground av-943.gif
GWN7
Either that or they went "Look!! parts are flying off that thing" wink.gif
mchamner
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 6 2006, 07:20 AM) *

The latch open
Click to view attachment
The latch closed
Click to view attachment
Screwdriver in place to open the lid. Standing next to the car the screwdriver is pointed at your left foot, now push hard.
Click to view attachment
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

thank you..this helps i ton... ima try it right now... ill let you guys know the verdict after! smile.gif
mchamner
what i failed to mention is that the back lid wont open because it was replace with a solenoid which can only be opend if the car is started...damn this situation sucks...
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Aug 6 2006, 12:34 PM) *

I found an unexpected way to open my engine bonnet just two days ago:
At a stop light, get some middle-aged, worn-out business man next to you in an older Lexus who keeps eye-balling you from the corners of his eyes while creeping forward at the light, trying to get the jump on you.

He wasn't trying to get the jump on you, he was hitting on you. Duh!
jwalters
OK, first off you need a special tool to be carried around at all times.

Do you like chinese food??? Cause that is where you get the tool from.

When you have your tool, you simply insert it ................................

drunk.gif
mchamner
YEAY! I got it open with the screwdriver eventually... The engine was cranking real nice but it wasnt turnin over... I could smell gas so its prob the spark plug... Ima tow it in to the mechanic this week... ill keep u guys posted...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.