Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on autocrossing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
idea.gif Got a question concerning the front end pushing through the corner -

Have factory stock front and rear sway bars and running cookies with 225-60 series tires.

My front end tends to push when cornered aggressively. Not too bad, but I can certainly detect a loss of weight transfer to the outside front. Seems as if my setup has the suspension too stiff, if that is possible.

What would be the outcome of disconnecting a bar altogether?? (front or rear)

Have tried adjusting air pressures and there is a very slight noticeable gain in traction, but slight non-the-less.

Gonna try out a SOLO II next month and am curious as to what the in-the-knows think. happy11.gif
DanT
sway bars....stock?

torsion bar size front, spring rate rear.

alignment settings

shock type....adjustable konis, bils, kybs?
JPB
My dad had a Buick Century which when hitting the gas and turning the wheel hard, the outside fender rolled way up and the other hard down and it seemed like the damn thing wated to role over.LOL It drove like a water bed! I hope you are saying your car runs to flat around corners.LOL If it rides to stable and I hope it does, since I will have the same setup, my suggestion is you are driving to slow!!!!LOL

beer.gif Hammer down till it slides!
ft.lbs.
Simple front sway bar adjustment.My fathers 914 was doing the same thing.
JPB
How do ya adjust stock bars?

beer.gif ?
Joe Ricard
You adjust them right out of the car. and get an adjustable one.

I did more streeting with the gas pedal last night on a wet Autocross course than I ever have before.
Hankook RS-2 rock in the wet.
Trekkor
You need to create more grip in the front.
It became very clear to me yesterday with lower treadwear compound tires on the rears. It was impossible for me not to oversteer.

That being said, you can try some of these ideas:

Run the tire pressures higher in the front/lower in the rear.
If you are on street tires, maybe 37/32 fr/rear or 35/33 if you want to be a little more conservative.

You can try disconnecting the front bar altogether.

Lower the front end.

http://rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html

KT
jwalters
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 6 2006, 05:47 PM) *

sway bars....stock?

torsion bar size front, spring rate rear.

alignment settings

shock type....adjustable konis, bils, kybs?

Yea stockers outta a '73 for bars

stockers for torsion

140# progressives on the rear

Factory alignment specs

Because it is a street driven ride I cannot do too much to it other than what it already has.
jwalters
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 6 2006, 05:47 PM) *

My dad had a Buick Century which when hitting the gas and turning the wheel hard, the outside fender rolled way up and the other hard down and it seemed like the damn thing wated to role over.LOL It drove like a water bed! I hope you are saying your car runs to flat around corners.LOL If it rides to stable and I hope it does, since I will have the same setup, my suggestion is you are driving to slow!!!!LOL

beer.gif Hammer down till it slides!

Hehe, reminds me of my buddies '72 Olds 442 with a full tilt 455 Rocket Propelled engine up front. He built it for the street. 675 dyno'd HP and 710 ftlb torquer BEASTY. His car's body has a permanent twist in it now ---------

Yea, my car has almost no body lean at all. Stays unreal flat around the curves ---
jwalters
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 6 2006, 07:08 PM) *

You need to create more grip in the front.
It became very clear to me yesterday with lower treadwear compound tires on the rears. It was impossible for me not to oversteer.

That being said, you can try some of these ideas:

Run the tire pressures higher in the front/lower in the rear.
If you are on street tires, maybe 37/32 fr/rear or 35/33 if you want to be a little more conservative.

You can try disconnecting the front bar altogether.

Lower the front end.

http://rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html

KT

When I got it aligned the body was neutral. I have it dropped about 3 inches up front (so much so I tore of the lower lip of my front flares from the tread eating it out <AND> has made steering HYPERSENSITIVE to say the least, gotta really concentrate hard when on the interstate going 90) My tires are those new generation high pressure ones. Mine calls for 45 psi normal. I have tried as low as 36 and the squirm was unreal so I had to go back up to 42. From that point I really cannot tell a difference between 42 and 45.
Trekkor
Well then, those tire may just be the limiting factor between you being able to drive to a higher limit at the a/x.

You cannot exceed the limit. None of us can wink.gif

KT
jwalters
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 6 2006, 07:49 PM) *

Well then, those tire may just be the limiting factor between you being able to drive to a higher limit at the a/x.

You cannot exceed the limit. None of us can wink.gif

KT

shocked[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jwalters @ Aug 6 2006, 04:44 PM) *

I have it dropped about 3 inches up front (so much so I tore of the lower lip of my front flares from the tread eating it out <AND> has made steering HYPERSENSITIVE to say the least, gotta really concentrate hard when on the interstate going 90)

there's your problem, you're running out of suspension travel ...

also, to make the front grip more, drop the tire pressure in the front.
or, make the rear more lose by adding some pressure in the rear ...

of course, these are all only bandaids until you get around to get the right (read: adjusteable) components and start from scratch (on your setup that is) ...

smile.gif Andy
jwalters
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 6 2006, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Aug 6 2006, 04:44 PM) *

I have it dropped about 3 inches up front (so much so I tore of the lower lip of my front flares from the tread eating it out <AND> has made steering HYPERSENSITIVE to say the least, gotta really concentrate hard when on the interstate going 90)

there's your problem, you're running out of suspension travel ...

also, to make the front grip more, drop the tire pressure in the front.
or, make the rear more lose by adding some pressure in the rear ...

of course, these are all only bandaids until you get around to get the right (read: adjusteable) components and start from scratch (on your setup that is) ...

smile.gif Andy

So true, so true
JPB
Schweettt! Those tires would be hell to use at an autoX. Okay, heavier front sway bar and hard springs in the back would be ideal but for stock, it might be good with them sticky tires? Hey just hoping here since thats what I got right now. We can still drown Miatas right?

beer.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 6 2006, 08:21 PM) *

Schweettt! Those tires would be hell to use at an autoX. Okay, heavier front sway bar and hard springs in the back would be ideal but for stock, it might be good with them sticky tires? Hey just hoping here since thats what I got right now. We can still drown Miatas right?

beer.gif

Dude, I went to one just to watch. I rolled up in BlackSabbath and heard mutterings of the like of:

"OH S*#T!"

"HOLY F#$K"

and the one I liked the most:

"Well that does it, lets pack it in before we get our asses handed to us"
happy11.gif

I thought it quite strange for such comments coming from dudes in vipers, a GT3R, about a dozen corvettes, a couple of ferraris, and a whole slewwwww of rice burners.

Hey, they don't know I am packing all of 85HP so who am I to point it out -

Was good to watch them in action tho anyway ---

JPB
"Well that does it, lets pack it in before we get our asses handed to us"
happy11.gif

I thought it quite strange for such comments coming from dudes in vipers, a GT3R, about a dozen corvettes, a couple of ferraris, and a whole slewwwww of rice burners.

av-943.gif Black Sabbath them back to their momas! aktion035.gif SChweeeeet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.