Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone with Type 3 experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
I'm bidding on this squareback to pull behind the RV. I figure it can't be that different than working on a teener. Right?

Nice Type 3
lapuwali
Looks nice, much nicer than my '69 Square. If the price doesn't climb too much more, that's also a good deal. Carbs were stock on the '67, but so was the swing axle rear suspension. In '68 or '69, they went to IRS and FI (similar, but not identical, to the D-Jet on the 914). They carry a lot, and will cruise nicely at 70mph. With FI, they get about 26mpg at that speed. I don't know how well they do with carbs.

They're generally pretty easy to work on. Valve adjustments are very slightly easier on the Type 3, as the HEs and the rear suspension aren't quite as much in the way. Check for rust in the floorpan under the battery (under the rear seat).
Cap'n Krusty
Great cars! I can tell you from personal experience you can roll 2 drums of oil int the back and still motor on down the highway! Better mileage than the bug, more comfortable, and much more stylin' I've owned more than a few in my time. The Cap'n
drewvw

I had a squareback in college....never really ran right but that was mostly my fault. I would definitely buy one....
Bleyseng
I have had 2, a 64 1500S SB and a 69 Fastback. The SB I hotrodded to a 1776cc with all the goodies and it flew. Used it for a DD and a ski rig cuz you could crawl in the back and sleep or go camping.

The 69 FB with Djet got 30mps easy and on the long hauls it got 40mpg in the gas crunch days.

Yep, look for rust under the battery and in the front body to pan areas under the wheelwells.

BenT
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 7 2006, 10:48 AM) *

I'm bidding on this squareback to pull behind the RV. I figure it can't be that different than working on a teener. Right?

Nice Type 3

I've been a serial Type 3 Owner. I owned mostly Notchbacks but had squarebacks as well. The Type 3 engine is essentially a Type 1 (bug & ghia) engine with the cooling fan on the tailend similar to the 914. The difference in the engine case is an extra hole for the rear mount and a hole for the dipstick at the bottom corner. Most Type 3 enthusiasts prefer the 67 because it was the first year for the dual port IIRC, last year for the swingaxle (factory sway bar was added to tame neg. camber). It was got the better balljoint suspension. The later IRS can be added with moderate difficculty. The whole rear trailing arm systems can be transplanted along with brakes, etc. Rear upper motor mount becomes obsolate but two side mounts need to be added. Oh yeah, teener wheel bolt pattern is the same. If you are ambitious, you can bolt up a Type 4 teener motor in the same bellhousing.

I once broke down in my 68 Type 2 camper in Sacramento Valley. It was full of furniture. My ex came up from SF with my 68 Type 3 wagon. We towed the whole shebang some 30 miles up to Lincoln, CA at about 65 MPH with the Type 3.

Type 3's do not accept tow bars up front as easily as the Type 1's. They have flat/squarish torsion bar tubes. If you plan to tow this behind an RV, you'll need to buy or make tow bars to fit the bumper mounts.

Go to Type3.org for more info.

BenT
vanagoncafe.com
Air_Cooled_Nut
Late models are even better IMHO. IRS (Independant Rear Suspension), more aerodynamic, better front disc brakes, and fuel injected (D-jet). If you look at getting an automatic you will NOT be able to tow it with the rear wheels on the ground, it WILL require a trailer...or else you can remove the axles if you insist on towing with the rear wheels on the ground sad.gif

T3-specific parts are more difficult to come by than Type I's and II's (Bugs and Buses)
Air_Cooled_Nut
Looks like it sold just shy of $4000. Without seeing the car it seems like a fair deal.
JoeSharp
Mike: I had a Squareback that I put 300K miles. 3 engines and trannys, towed a catamaran all over (S.F. the river Mexico). Great cars. Mine got 48 mpg once and it had a 22 gallon tank in the trunk above the stock one. Easer to mantain than any of the cars you have now.
:EPRMAGRIN: Joe
Mike D.
Joe, I figured you might chime in sooner or later. I let that go at the end, I know it was probably a good deal. But sight unseen and no PPI, eh, you know. I'd feel better inspecting one myself, maybe out at Pamona or something more local. I'd also rather have a later one with the FI. and IRS.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to keep looking, but no more e-bay...
JoeSharp
Mike: I'm with you. I like to see what I'm buying. When you want to look at a car let me know.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Air_Cooled_Nut
Additional model info:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78049
BenT
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 7 2006, 03:46 PM) *

Mike: I'm with you. I like to see what I'm buying. When you want to look at a car let me know.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

I feel the same way part of the time. It will depend on what I am buying and for what price. If someone told me they had a 1973 914 for $5000 I am going to want to see it. If someoe offered me a 1970 914-6 for $7500 w/o any dents, runs well, and currently registered, I would probably agree to buy it before seeing it. I did a couple of months ago.

I prefer the 69 Type 3 with vs. the 67. My point earlier was that most Type 3 enthusiasts are big on the 67.

BenT

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.