Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift lever adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
My 73 has been giving me trouble shifting into 4th gear lately. Mostly after it has been warmed up awhile. All the bushings have been changed. I want to adjust the shift lever but have read two different procedures. The Pelican Tech. Site says to adjust the forward shift rod with the shift lever all the way to the left. Haynes and Pat Paternies book say to adjust it with the shift lever all the way to the right stop. Which is the correct method?
My new engine doen't like it when I shift into 2nd instead of 4th.
Cheers, Elliot
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 19 2003, 03:41 PM)
...Pelican Tech. Site says to adjust the forward shift rod with the shift lever all the way to the left. Haynes and Pat Paternies book say to adjust it with the shift lever all the way to the right stop. Which is the correct method?

the way that works ...

both those methods are good for getting you in the ballpark.

another way is - put the transmission in 2nd, put the lever in the middle, forward, tighten things down.
the documented procedures are just to provide a reference (a stop) and the associated transmission gear. after that, you just move the rod a spline at a time (if you have trouble matching the gates) or a bit forward or aft (if you have trouble fully engaging a gear set) until it all works with your car.
redshift
I always adjust in 2nd.

M
Elliot_Cannon
Thanks guys, It looks like a few different methods to do this. I'll just try them all till I find one that works.
Cheers, Elliot beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.