Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Filter Wrench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
Okay, let me just say up front that these are probably two lame questions.

1. What do you use to take the oil filter off?? I've got three f'ing wrenches in the garage and none of them work! Two of them you can't even get on the oil filter because of the location, and the other one (type that grips from the bottom) won't grab the Mahle filter. Not sure how in the hell I managed to get it off last time dry.gif

2. This one is really dumb, but I'll dare to ask it. My 914 spends a good part of its life in the garage. This is the first car I've owned that isn't a daily driver. So for changing the oil, how relevent is the 3 months or 3,000 mile thing? All my past cars, you just take in at 3 months or 3,000 miles - no big deal. Over a three month period, I may only drive it a couple hundred miles. Hell, I've only put on 1,500 miles since I bought it over a year ago. So for you guys in a similar situation, how often do you change your oil?

Thanks biggrin.gif
Matt Romanowski
I use the plier type wrench to take it off.

As far as frequency - drive more!! I would say you can go 3,000 miles or 6 months. After that long, the oil will start building higher acid levels and it can etch bearings, etc.

Some people will argue the 3,000 miles, but it is the number I use.

Matt
grasshopper
I take a screwdriver and stab the oil filter and unscrew it. chairfall.gif I'm completely serious. I'm a redneck. ar15.gif
ClayPerrine
I use a BIG ASSED pair of channel locks to grab the filter.

And I am not as much of a redneck as grasshopper.
jgara962
Nevermind. I was just about ready to call it quits for the night, and I found TWO more oil wrenches in my tool box. Both the clamping kind - one large and one small. You'd think I was running a Jiffly Lube out of my garage blink.gif No idea how I ended up with five different filter wrenches but oh well.
grasshopper
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 9 2006, 07:14 PM) *

I wonder which state has more redneck...GA or TX????? Naw, thats an easy one...Georgia by a LONG shot. chairfall.gif
SGB
Dang barbarians. I've got a big 16 (or wjatever) sided cup-like thing that uses a socket wrench and extention to take off the filter. I disagree with the redneck screwdriver method. Filters are made of such thin metal that the screwdriver well not rotate the filter, but instead tear and shred all the way downn to the base
SLITS
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 9 2006, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 9 2006, 07:14 PM) *

I wonder which state has more redneck...GA or TX????? Naw, thats an easy one...Georgia by a LONG shot. chairfall.gif

Nah, you got CRACKERS / PEACHES / PRALINES / ......

Texas has LONG HORNS / LONG NECKS / AGGIES.......

RedNecks are smarter than all of those.................
914fan
A LONG time ago when I worked at Seras. I bought an oil filter wrench that was the coolest thing ever. You put the retchet on it and as you turn left (remember lefty loosy) it clamps down from 2 sides with these V chanel things. When it has a good bite on it you just keep turning left and it will loosen the filter. The best part is the tighter the filter is on the car the tighter the thing grabs. I had it CRUSH a filter until the filter let loose. A great toy.

This would work,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...UseBVCookie=Yes
But this is what I have.
http://www.holden.co.uk/productimages/095_819.jpg
Except mine is Craftsman.

Good luck.
Bruce Allert
Pussies.....
ya jes' gab it wit yer hand & twist it off drunk.gif

.....b biggrin.gif
dlo914
i 2nd the screw driver technique. it's works just as well when i can't find the oil filter plier.
DBCooper
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:51 PM) *

i 2nd the screw driver technique. it's works just as well when i can't find the oil filter plier.

Be sure to lube the rubber gasket before putting the new filter on. If you don't overtighten it it'll come right off the next time. And I'd suggest that you use the screwdriver technique only as a last resort. What happens if you've jabbed the filter, the canister tears, and still can't get it off? Car's going nowhere. That may be an acceptable possibility if it's your own car and you like seeing it on jackstands in the garage, but it's totally unacceptable if it's a customer's car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.