Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anyone seen a scam start this way?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
No sign of the standard scam just yet, I'm trying to feel the guy out still.. what do you guys think? This came to me as a question on ebay, a few hours after I lowered my "Buy it Now" from $6500 to $6000.

Q: Hello I would like to buy the car now for 6000$ But I come from Denmark europe, so you have to change the setting on your auction to worldwide sale or else I am not allowed to make a bid. I asure you that I am a serious buyer. You will recieve your deposit imediatly after I recieve a confirmation email from you. In this email I would like a readable picture or scanning of the registration papers aswell as your full name and address, so I can arrange the car to be picked up at your home. Best regards Ken Falk

Is Falk a common danish name?

dflesburg
Why would anyone want an mg?
Lou W
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 10 2006, 06:10 PM) *

No sign of the standard scam just yet, I'm trying to feel the guy out still.. what do you guys think? This came to me as a question on ebay, a few hours after I lowered my "Buy it Now" from $6500 to $6000.

Q: Hello I would like to buy the car now for 6000$ But I come from Denmark europe, so you have to change the setting on your auction to worldwide sale or else I am not allowed to make a bid. I asure you that I am a serious buyer. You will recieve your deposit imediatly after I recieve a confirmation email from you. In this email I would like a readable picture or scanning of the registration papers aswell as your full name and address, so I can arrange the car to be picked up at your home. Best regards Ken Falk

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 10 2006, 06:21 PM) *

Why would anyone want an mg?

laugh.gif tough crowd

ok, why would they want a copy of the registration? sounds kinda wierd to me. dry.gif
McMark
I would offer scans of any pertinent info AFTER the money is received. It's cause for caution, but not necessarily a scam. It all depends on how he wants to transfer the money to you. PayPal would be safe, AFAIK.
Cap'n Krusty
"Falk" is Prussian. Call me, Royce. I may have a real buyer for you. The Cap'n
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 10 2006, 06:30 PM) *

I would offer scans of any pertinent info AFTER the money is received. It's cause for caution, but not necessarily a scam. It all depends on how he wants to transfer the money to you. PayPal would be safe, AFAIK.

Pay Pal works great in Europe.

Don't screw around with anyone, set the terms you want.
bondo
No way I'm doing paypal.. they take too much %, and if there's a problem they usually side with the buyer and just take the money out of your account. Sort of a guilty until proven innocent, and I don't want to go there.

I definitely won't give him any info until I at least get a deposit. I have no reason to believe it's a scam yet, but then if it were a scam that'd be a very good way to start it. smile.gif I'll get a dialogue going, and see if any scam indicators emerge. One thing that has me worried is that he has no feedback and just joined ebay a few days ago. Fortunately I have full control since I have overseas bidders locked out. If I get a bad vibe, no sale. smile.gif
swl
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 10 2006, 05:26 PM) *

ok, why would they want a copy of the registration? sounds kinda wierd to me.

Confirming the title? confused24.gif
kdfoust

These car deal guys are hilarious.... bs.gif

The picked up at your home thing would make me really suspicious. Can't you look up the buyer's feedback? If I thought the guy was legit I'd send him my phone number so we could talk about it.

If you think it's B.S. you could:
========================
Dear Ken:

I can't believe how fortunate you and I are. My younger brother, Dirk, is currently in Germany on leave after a very tough year serving in the middle east with the Marines. He's been looking for an excuse to do some partying in Denmark (hot chicks there we hear) with some of his buddies. I have already forwarded the MG's documentation to him and he can meet you to pick up the money and arrange shipment of the car. Please forward your address and phone number so Dirk can get the party started in Denmark!

Party on!
Bondo
========================
If he's dumb enough we can try to get a "miltary documentation import fee" out of him. happy11.gif

Later,
Kevin

Lou W
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Aug 10 2006, 06:54 PM) *

These car deal guys are hilarious.... bs.gif

The picked up at your home thing would make me really suspicious. Can't you look up the buyer's feedback? If I thought the guy was legit I'd send him my phone number so we could talk about it.

If you think it's B.S. you could:
========================
Dear Ken:

I can't believe how fortunate you and I are. My younger brother, Dirk, is currently in Germany on leave after a very tough year serving in the middle east with the Marines. He's been looking for an excuse to do some partying in Denmark (hot chicks there we hear) with some of his buddies. I have already forwarded the MG's documentation to him and he can meet you to pick up the money and arrange shipment of the car. Please forward your address and phone number so Dirk can get the party started in Denmark!

Party on!
Bondo
========================
If he's dumb enough we can try to get a "miltary documentation import fee" out of him. happy11.gif

Later,
Kevin

Great idea beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
Hopefully the Lucas Electrics won't burn up on the way over on the boat....
Gustl
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 11 2006, 03:10 AM) *

Q: Hello I would like to buy the car now for 6000$ But I come from Denmark europe, so you have to change the setting on your auction to worldwide sale or else I am not allowed to make a bid.

why shouldn't he be allowed to make a bid?
I often bid on items even if my country/continent isn't listed at the auction - eBay reminds me that it might be a problem, but it allows a bid ... idea.gif

Ken Falk doesn't sound very danish to me, but surely it's possible

wavey.gif Gustl
bondo

why shouldn't he be allowed to make a bid?
I often bid on items even if my country/continent isn't listed at the auction - eBay reminds me that it might be a problem, but it allows a bid ... idea.gif

Ken Falk doesn't sound very danish to me, but surely it's possible

wavey.gif Gustl
[/quote]

Ebay gave me the option of blocking bids from countries I don't sell to, so I selected "yes". I'm glad I did now. biggrin.gif
cbenitah
Falk is more Swedish, and it means Hawk in english..

They may use the Scandinavian countires more often now, since we are "harmful" I found an ad about a boxster for 6K so I wrote an email, got this in reply..

I told him I had family and friends where he lived, and said they could take a look at the car.. He ran pretty quick after that...

Hi there,
Thank you for contacting me regarding my car.
First of all i want to tell you that the car is in perfect condition, and
the price includes all the shipping costs and insurance so you will not
have to pay any extra charges.The car has a Clean Title wich will come
along with it. I moved to Sweden because i was sent here with
work. The car is in a perfect condition.It's a great car, I am devastated that I
have to sell it but I have to pay too much money to register it here,so I
decide to sell it. The car it is still registered in States but curently is located in Malmo , Sweden.
The car will be shipped with Lufthansa Air Cargo, and will be on your door in 5 max 6 days.
For our protection i will use for payment Craigslist ( a third party wich hold the payment until u receive the car ) . If you want to continue,please send me your full name and your shipping address ( and also phone # ) so I let Craigslist know that you are interested .You will receive an email from them instructing you about how to send payment and they'll release the funds to me only after you receive and inspect the car.When i will have the Craigslist confirmation,i will ship the car to you.
I think that this is a fair way to make business and I hope that you will agree. I don't touch your money until you receive and inspect the car.
Hoping that I have kept your attention and your interest is still on, I look forward for any questions that you might have regarding the car.
Regards
pfierb
That letter screams "scam" stay away... The guy sounds to anxious to part with his money.I'll bet he is from Copenhagen Nigeria.There was a rug dealer here in town by the name of Falk she was Lebanese.
GWN7
You blocked his ability to bid...he may be the real deal.....ask for his ebay ID and check his feedback. If it's new, less than 10 and all he bought were $0.99 items then flake.

As to him asking for a copy of the title, US Customs won't let a car out of the USA without a proper title. He may be protecting himself from you being a flake by listing a fake car.
DBCooper

I agree. If he's going to send a deposit (bank-to-bank wire transfer) and you're not going to let the car go before your receipt of the full amount (again by wire transfer) what's the problem? As long as the money's really in the bank, and that's confirmed in writing by your bank, he's running far more of a risk than you are. Lots of Europeans unexport cars by buying them back from the U.S. Doesn't mean all Europeans buying cars are from Nigeria. If you're at all uneasy ask for your bank's help, to keep out of trouble, and bail if anything begins to look spooky.
swl
For transactions like this it would be great if there was a trusted escrow service. Not sure if that is the right term but a middleman who receives the payment from the buyer then releases that payment to the seller when the buyer takes delivery.

With all the scams that are going on it is hard for the buyer and seller to trust each other on big ticket internet purchases.
pfierb
In his letter the "buyer" didn't ask or even hint at any question as to the cars condition....that in itself should set off all kinds of red lights.
My wife at one did business in Denmark and had many Danish friends....never heard any of them say that they lived in Denmark Europe.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 10 2006, 08:10 PM) *

Hopefully the Lucas Electrics won't burn up on the way over on the boat....

This shouldn't be a problem Z, Lucas doesn't make enough electricity to cause a spark...
DBCooper
QUOTE(pfierb @ Aug 11 2006, 06:07 AM) *

In his letter the "buyer" didn't ask or even hint at any question as to the cars condition....that in itself should set off all kinds of red lights.
My wife at one did business in Denmark and had many Danish friends....never heard any of them say that they lived in Denmark Europe.

Maybe, maybe not. I'd assume that the condition of the car was detailed in the e-Bay ad. But no matter, if you're able to confirm that his money is in your bank then where's the risk? That separates the scam artists from the people who just want to buy a car. There are a lot of U.S. cars that have been re-exported to Europe, and every one of those transactions started out with an inquiry similar to this one. So call his bluff, if it's a bluff, and have him send money. Won't be too hard to figure out then, but until then it's just speculation.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.