Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help near Costa Mesa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
If anyone has a 914 close by Costa Mesa and would be willing to let Neil at Performance Developments, 1643 Monrovia Ave. Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Phone. 949.646.7461, Fax. 949.646.7471, use it as a mule for measuring the harness placement for my trick 914 motor, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'll will pay for your time and gas to drop by Neil's for him to take the measurements. He said he only needed 10-15 minutes to get the key measurements.

These are the guys that do the Link Fuel Injection System.

As an added bonus who ever volunteers will get to see our dyno pull when we take the 2.4 engine down to Performance Solutions for the dial in.

Brad Roberts
I can measure one for him and give him the numbers, if you cant get anyone to stop by. We have 5-6 members in Costa Mesa.

B
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 14 2006, 03:35 PM) *

I can measure one for him and give him the numbers, if you cant get anyone to stop by. We have 5-6 members in Costa Mesa.

B

Mike M. has already measured it and Neil has done a CAD drawing; however, seeing one will make a big difference to him; hence the request.

Hopefully someone from CM will see this posting and be willing to help.

MattR
I'm near costa mesa, but I dont have a running 914 sad.gif

You need a 914 with fuel injection, right?
Randal
QUOTE(MattR @ Aug 14 2006, 04:03 PM) *

I'm near costa mesa, but I dont have a running 914 sad.gif

You need a 914 with fuel injection, right?

It doesn't have to be running and it doesn't have to be fuel injection.

FYI I'm going to be running TWM throttle bodies on CB intake manifolds, so Neil will be measuring the center points on the manifolds and then calculating the wire length to the injectors.
MattR
Do you need the factory harness? Or a longblock? I think I have a harness in my car that I'm not using. I can drop it off tomorrow during my lunch break if you need it.
Randal
QUOTE(MattR @ Aug 14 2006, 04:24 PM) *

Do you need the factory harness? Or a longblock? I think I have a harness in my car that I'm not using. I can drop it off tomorrow during my lunch break if you need it.

The factory harness doesn't help, Neil needs to see a car as his harness is very different from the factory.

But thanks so much for the offer.
JoeSharp
Randal: Just got off the phone with Niel and I can't help you right now. We have no 4's running here. Maybe I can get Thomas to go by later this week.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 14 2006, 06:04 PM) *

Randal: Just got off the phone with Niel and I can't help you right now. We have no 4's running here. Maybe I can get Thomas to go by later this week.

Later this week would be great. Please let me know.

Randal
Aaron Cox
i can be there friday.

AA

PS- carbed car if it matters....

Randal, feel free to call me. 951-833-5311
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 14 2006, 09:53 PM) *

i can be there friday.

AA

PS- carbed car if it matters....

Randal, feel free to call me. 951-833-5311

Thanks Aron for the Friday offer.

Joe is going to check with Thomas to see if he could stop by Neil's. If not I'll be pleased to accept your offer. I'll definately give you a call.

BTW I've never met Neil face to face but to tell the truth he is one of the most knowledgeable (engines/electronics) guys I have ever talked with on the phone. It is going to be interesting to see his electronics (Link injection) working on the Raby combination motor.

So.Cal.914
Is this the FI that CB Performance sells? I have been curious about that setup.

If this is the case please.......thread.......pics......needum.
Mueller
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 14 2006, 06:04 PM) *

I would think a /6 would work as long as he has the dimensions for a /4 as measured from the firewall and using the Centerline of the motor for 2 axis.
CHT
dizzy
intake location for the heads (you could use the location of the injectors on a stock FI motor, just add a few inches and you might need a height ref for the TPS)
Aaron Cox
talked to randall today. im gonna be out that way on friday for him.
Crazyhippy
Neil is incredible... Talked w/ him a few time getting my link up and running. I'm running a Link on a 2liter in my 914, and it is amazing... far more capable than this particular tuner is...

Oh yeah, it's installed on a wrx motor biggrin.gif

BJH
Twystd1
Randal,

I am on my way to Neil's shop to set up the time for Aaron and I to show up on Friday.

Will let ya know whasss up when I return.

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Aug 16 2006, 12:33 PM) *

Randal,

I am on my way to Neil's shop to set up the time for Aaron and I to show up on Friday.

Will let ya know whasss up when I return.

Twystd1

thanks dad.

AA
Aaron Cox
Randal,

Clayton just got back from neils shop. Said he was uber impressed with the shop and this guy's knowledge....

They brought up some things that need to be addressed.....

clayton and neal went over the drawing you gave neil,

Problem 1- doesnt show specific location of components in the engine bay and/or trunk, keep in mind, that the CDI box and the coil, can easily create RF interference with the ECU.... even using shielded cables for the ECU.

Clayton and Neil were kind of hoping that you wanted the ECU in the trunk, and the CDI box and Coil in the engine bay. (best case scenario)

therefore, clayton/myself want to 3way (laugh.gif) ((phonecall)) with you this evening to try and communicate the requirements for neil.
(i work till 9, PM inbound with my number, and claytons. let me know what time works for you)

clayton saw tons of his wiring harnesses, really awesome stuff, and nice guy to boot.

NOTE: Neil just finished a 4 cam porsche carrera motor from a 356 carrera ....
MattR
Thats not Neil that does Porsche 962 motors, is it?
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 16 2006, 03:05 PM) *

Randal,

Clayton just got back from neils shop. Said he was uber impressed with the shop and this guy's knowledge....

Problem 1- doesnt show specific location of components in the engine bay and/or trunk, keep in mind, that the CDI box and the coil, can easily create RF interference with the ECU.... even using shielded cables for the ECU.

Clayton and Neil were kind of hoping that you wanted the ECU in the trunk, and the CDI box and Coil in the engine bay. (best case scenario)

therefore, clayton/myself want to 3way (laugh.gif) ((phonecall)) with you this evening to try and communicate the requirements for neil.
(i work till 9, PM inbound with my number, and claytons. let me know what time works for you)

clayton saw tons of his wiring harnesses, really awesome stuff, and nice guy to boot.

Neil is really an amazing guy. No question.

As to your questions:

Mike Mueller actually did the drawing.

His plan was for the ECU to be mounted between the seats or on the firewall between the seats. His measurement assumes either of those positions. This also helps with the RF issues as the ECU is in the drivers compartment.

I was planning on mounting the coil and battery (12lb) on a special fixture right where the existing batter tray resides. Maybe on top of the existing tray.

The CDI is to be mounted on the right side of trunk sheet metal. The middle is taken up with my Accusump system. I'll try to do a picture.

Thanks again for all your help.

Randal
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 16 2006, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 16 2006, 03:05 PM) *

Randal,

Neil is really an amazing guy. No question.

As to your questions:

Mike Mueller actually did the drawing.

His plan was for the ECU to be mounted between the seats or on the firewall between the seats. His measurement assumes either of those positions. This also helps with the RF issues as the ECU is in the drivers compartment.

I was planning on mounting the coil and battery (12lb) on a special fixture right where the existing batter tray resides. Maybe on top of the existing tray.

The CDI is to be mounted on the right side of trunk sheet metal. The middle is taken up with my Accusump system. I'll try to do a picture.

Thanks again for all your help.

Randal

Here is a picture: You can see where the Accusump bolts in to the middle section. Was thinking about putting the CDI on the right side.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
ok....

sounds like most bases are covered smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 16 2006, 09:48 PM) *

ok....

sounds like most bases are covered smile.gif

Thanks to Aaron and Clayton for stopping by Costa Mesa to work with Neil on my custom wire harness.

I'll be real interested in hearing opinions on Neil's operation. He sure has been helpful with the Link system... Can't wait to get my motor on his dyno.

It is really impressive that someone can ask and get immediate help on this club site. I owe you guys.

Randal beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
dude... not a problem randal....

we went and did our thing, and musta spent 2+ hrs there....

totally great guy. 4 cam 356/550 motor etc...

thanks for the opportunity to give back to the club, and the chance to meet this guy smile.gif
McMark
Trunk looks great Randal. wink.gif Much better than before.
Twystd1
Randall,

You owe me nothing.....

In fact I owe you............... For the oportunity to meet a great guy (Neil) and an opportunity to do some possible biz with him...

This is what makes this club so very Kewl.

This is a rare place.... Indeed.

Let me know if ya need anything else....

Clayton

PS...Thanks for the reach around Aaron.....

Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 18 2006, 08:55 PM) *

dude... not a problem randal....

we went and did our thing, and musta spent 2+ hrs there....

totally great guy. 4 cam 356/550 motor etc...

thanks for the opportunity to give back to the club, and the chance to meet this guy smile.gif

I have always heard that the 4 cam motors are extremely tough to get right.

Don't know anything about why that is, just that you have to be pretty good to work on those motors.

Wonder how many hours they get on them in race situations, i.e., like in Historics?

Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 18 2006, 09:23 PM) *

Trunk looks great Randal. wink.gif Much better than before.

I was doing a quickie on the trunk, but as usual it looked so bad that I stripped the entire trunk and had Brandon do the paint.

Another one of those two hour jobs that take a huge amount of time.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.