Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POP! goes the 1st gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sportlicherFahrer
I know my trans is bad now that it pops outta 1st and makes it hard to find other gears after that. If I dont go for 1st and drive like she's a 4-speed, I still get hard shifting, but the gears are there and easy to find.

I am believing it to be the cause of the main bearins going out. Trans has been noisey for the last year or so. It is like a loud gear whine. Pitch/volume go back down with each gear. Also seems to be "hanging up" when in gear sitting still. Earlier today the car would roll back on a slight hill FREELY when I had my foot on the clutch while in gear. Now with it in gear and clutch in, it kinda sticks and makes the car stop moving LIKE it had a bad caliper.

I am already workin on gettin another trans in there, but am wondering if my diagnostic sounds correct. Can the main bearings going bad cause Fuched shifting and the other symptoms? If not, what kind of other ideas are out there?

Just curious confused24.gif

Afterthought!!!
I know that the oil is ok. I changed it a few thousand ago and put in Lucas. I didn't run it low AT ALL.
Bleyseng
You are probably right about the bearings cuz when they are shot there is tons of slop and the mainshaft will flop around causing engaugement problems.

If you pull it and drop it off I could pull it apart and tell you exactly what is wrong with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.