Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas smell in interior
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type4org
Ever since I had my '76 in the shop to replace all rubber fuel lines I have a gas smell in the car after it has been standing for a few hours. I don't smell anything outside, and just a little bit in the trunk - which could also be due to the old rubber lines for the evaporation circuit. At first I put it down to them spilling gas into odd places while removing/replacing the tank, but the smell isn't getting less.

Are there any "usual suspects" when it comes to gas smell in the interior after someone removed and reinstalled the gas tank? Are there any diagrams online that show how the lines are routed through the chassis tunnel?

blitZ
Check the gas fume canister and make sure the shop hooked it back up correctly. I would take it back to the shop immediately and make them fix it.
type47
there are plastic lines that run up the tunnel, i'd get a flashlight and look for cracks in the plastic lines and get under the car and look for drips.

have you heard about the 914 gathering in northern VA on sept 16?
type4org
QUOTE(blitZ @ Aug 15 2006, 08:50 AM) *

Check the gas fume canister and make sure the shop hooked it back up correctly. I would take it back to the shop immediately and make them fix it.

I'm going to replace the lines to/from the canister over the next couple days. Those are the only old rubber lines left on the car.

The shop told me to leave it overnight, they claimed they couldn't smell anything. This is my only car so I am trying to avoid that...
type4org
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 15 2006, 08:58 AM) *

there are plastic lines that run up the tunnel, i'd get a flashlight and look for cracks in the plastic lines and get under the car and look for drips.

have you heard about the 914 gathering in northern VA on sept 16?

It's dry under the car, and I don't really smell anything around it. What access hole do I peer through to see the plastic lines?

I know about the gathering, but won't be in town unfortunately. Otherwise I'd definitely go sad.gif
Tobra
I got this after I replaced the lines under the tank. I have not found any leaks, I think it is just the overflow vent thing on mine. I even got a new gas cap(same one as an old bug, go figure)
maf914
I have a '76 and at one time had a problem with the fit of the plastic filler neck/vapor recovery tank to the gas tank. It is held by a series of small bolts with a rubber gasket between. If the gasket is not positioned properly and the bolts are not uniformly tightened gas can leak from this connection. The fit of the bolt heads relative to the filler neck is not perfect and some are difficult to put a socket on the head, so obtaining a uniform torque can be tricky. I suggest you check the tightness of the bolts in case the mechanic fiddled with them or they have worked loose over the years. idea.gif
type4org
QUOTE(Tobra @ Aug 15 2006, 09:07 AM) *

I got this after I replaced the lines under the tank. I have not found any leaks, I think it is just the overflow vent thing on mine. I even got a new gas cap(same one as an old bug, go figure)

Well, the one day I start asking questions is the one day I get into the car and smell nothing. Darn! Well, I will keep watching it and any further advice on where to look is welcome wink.gif
type4org
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 15 2006, 09:27 AM) *
I suggest you check the tightness of the bolts in case the mechanic fiddled with them or they have worked loose over the years. idea.gif

Will do that as well. smile.gif
914nerd
I'm having the same problem on my '75 1.8
What other problems could cause this to happen?
Thanks,
Charles
Tobra
Holes in the hoses to the charcoal cannister(or the cannister itself) Crappy seal on the fuel cap, spilled or overfilled when refueled, totally full tank and some hard left hand turns(noted the overflow hose under the car had a drop or two of gas after hammering on it, presume it was gas sloshing around and getting out through it) running pig rich, non-firing plug, bad lines in tunnel or engine compartment, hmm...all that comes to mind
type47

[/quote]

It's dry under the car, and I don't really smell anything around it. What access hole do I peer through to see the plastic lines?

[/quote]

the only access i know is in the front, beneath the dash where the wires go into the tunnel; by the shifter; and at the base of the rear bulkhead under an access panel.
Brett W
I never could get my car not to smell like gas when I filled it up all the way. Even with two new caps, some custom seals on the cap, new hoses and gaskets around the lid and emissions cans. I just stop going past 3/4 tank. If I hadn't killed it I would have done something different for the cap arrangement. I like the 75 and later screw on cap design better.
Kirmizi
I had the same problem with my '75. The first place I checked was the fuel pump lines by removing the pump. Sure enough, one of them had split and had a slight leak. I replaced everything from the tank to the hard plastic line and haven't had any gas aroma since. You might want to double check the clamps and look underneath the tank to ensure the nipples from the tank didn't work themselves loose when the hoses were replaced. It doesn't take much gas to give off a lot of odor. Mike
brant
Jens,

please don't take this as a personal insult.
but perhaps a change of diet would help?

just kiddin
brant
jk76.914
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Aug 15 2006, 10:29 AM) *

I had the same problem with my '75. The first place I checked was the fuel pump lines by removing the pump. Sure enough, one of them had split and had a slight leak. I replaced everything from the tank to the hard plastic line and haven't had any gas aroma since. You might want to double check the clamps and look underneath the tank to ensure the nipples from the tank didn't work themselves loose when the hoses were replaced. It doesn't take much gas to give off a lot of odor. Mike

Ditto on my '76. The old rubber hoses that connect to the fuel filter had lost their elasticity, and started to seep. I tried cutting a few inches off to get to a fresh stump, but the whole hose was dried out. Had to pull the tank and replace.

Make sure these guys actually replaced the hoses under the tank.

Did they replace the sock on the supply line inside the tank? If so, did they use any seals? Can't remember if there's one or two? Somebody help!

Jim
type4org
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 15 2006, 02:53 PM) *

please don't take this as a personal insult.
but perhaps a change of diet would help?

Damn, I knew all that good Thai food would do me in one day! beerchug.gif
type4org
I got one step further today. Despite the fact that the smell seems to have gone (well, I'll trust that after a few more smell-free days) I did replace the rubber lines for tank venting. I wanted to do the engine bay one as well that hooks up to the charcoal canister, but ran out of 5mm ID hose. Darn.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(914nerd @ Aug 15 2006, 07:35 AM) *

I'm having the same problem on my '75 1.8
What other problems could cause this to happen?
Thanks,
Charles

Fuel lines from the tank to the plastic lines that run thru the tunnel fail often.
byndbad914
I had a weird one on my 72 - would smell gas after it sat a bit (especially overnight) and NEVER had a drop of fuel under the car. I pulled the tank finally and there is a pad that sits between the tank and the firewall right above the pedals. That had collected water over the years and caused the tank to rust through (pinhole size).

I asked around after that happened and it wasn't too uncommon apparently (according to shop guys I asked). The pinhole would leak gas into the pad (so it never leaked to the ground or elsewhere, just absorbed into the pad) and smell up the interior.

I just sanded it pretty clean and JB welded it until I was able to get another, good tank a couple weeks later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.