Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Brass Oil lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sixnotfour
It's worth it. If you haven't plumbed anything or like me, what the right look, it's worth the bucks.

definately a pro set up.

chuck how does that coupling work near the jack post ?
Chuck Moreland
Here is some detail on the couplng. Note the hard lines thread through above the jack receiver, leaving plenty of room for the rocker cover down low. No clearance issues.

The tubes have a bead roll on the ends to retain the hose section securely. The hose allows for chassis flex and easy install/removal.

The hose is rated for oil and temperature, and we cap the ends to trim them out cleanly. The clamps are heavy duty, not wimpy worm drives.

Note too the grommets where the hard lines pass through the rocker ribs. This prevents any rattling or potential wear on the tubes. Grommets also rated for tempurature.
Chuck Moreland
Here is the bracket that supports the thermostat and back of the pipes.

Stainless with rubber isolation around the tubes.

There are 3 brackets total. 1 at the thermostat, 2 in the front well.
Chuck Moreland
Here is a shot of the thermostat mounting in the rear wheel well. Note the support bracket, which attaches to the existing suspension mounting hole.

This setup keeps the tstat out from under the car, easy plumbing underneath to connect the tank and engine case. Everything is tucked up tight, protected, and out of the way. No need to snake hoses down under the suspension, nothing vulnerable.
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 8 2009, 07:07 PM) *

It's worth it. If you haven't plumbed anything or like me, what the right look, it's worth the bucks.

definately a pro set up.

Chuck, sorry if it sounded like a slam in my prior post. It definately looks Pro-Built.

Question though - Why did you build it for the passenger side of the car vs the Drivers side which would be "Correct" to some people?

T.C.
RON S.

I have seriously looked into making my own set of -16 size brass lines for my /6r since this post was originally posted.

I want the finned brass for mine, and found that I could get the material.
Wolverine tube will sell it, and in Europe it can be had from Chrystin tube.

I have a set fabbed up and was ready to send them to be professionally cnc formed, and the vendor didn't wanna touch it.

I did talk to Chuck about buying raw material, but he was reluctant, and said that he only rec'd material once a year.
I assume that the lines he's selling are -12. which unfortunately would be too small for my app.

Good to see the thread is still alive.
thanks,
Ron
Chuck Moreland
A number of considerations drove the passenger side decision.

The tank being on the driver side would not allow the type of tstat mounting we did. Even if we put the tstat somewhere else, the plumbing to and around the tank would have been crowded and convoluted. Already you have the tank-to-case oil line to contend with, then to compound this with pipes going to the front and the tstat is just messy.

The front rib beneath the rocker panel is not the same on both sides. The passenger side is bigger and has room to squeak the pipes inside it. The driver side is shallower and would not allow this.

The original GT solution is definitely full of retro-coolness if you are building a faithful GT replica. But it looks like an add-on put together by a raceteam (eg. hoses through the footwell, chopping the rocker ribs, crowded hose routing front and rear). Our goal was not to replicate the GT system, but rather view it as we think the factory would have - as a prototype to be refined into a production solution.

We were striving for a GT inspired solution, developed into a production level system. That means minimal cutting of the car, no hoses in the cabin, no ground clearance issues, neat roomy hose/tube routing, clean factory appearance.
9146BRUCE
Hi Eric did you ever get the hard lines made.
Bruce
Eric_Shea
Prototype set is done. From what I understand the buck (which is an actual 914 longitudinal) had to be moved from the shop where it was. We have about 6 orders deep right now... I'm trying to get a date myself. I'll keep everyone posted on what becomes of it.
JmuRiz
Wish I had $2k to spend on lines, that elephant system is very cool and clean.

Then again, I'm not even sure I'll need a front cooler for a 2.7.
Socalandy
Chucks kit looks sweet and includes everything you need, not just the lines.

It will also work with the Setrab cooler I was planning on using. Funny that I was just looking at this setup today planning whats needed for the install. I would like to hear what a group buy would save us and how many orders we would need!!

I'm ready to buy a solution popcorn[1].gif
db9146
We have about 6 orders deep right now... I'm trying to get a date myself. I'll keep everyone posted on what becomes of it.

Eric, what sets are you working on and how much are they?

sixnotfour
If you want factory GT style wait, If you need a great system turn key ?
Buy the elephant kit.
Socalandy
based on that I may wait but how long are we talking about? I'm working full steam on my resto hoping for RRC 2012
sixnotfour
Yours are on the way ,, finally, Bruce up next
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.