Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Brass Oil lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
kckoch
Any body know a source where I can have these made? Does anyone make repros?

Eric_Shea
Guy out East that did Pete's car makes them... don't remember his name. Martin can chime in with the info. From what I understand, he may make them "occasionally" and in batches.
grasshopper
Hmm.. It looks like it would be possible to make you own.... Anyone have pipe sizes?
brant
deja vu'
Eric_Shea
Precision Automotive Restorations in Mass. actually. Mark Allin?
Mueller
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 09:30 AM) *

Hmm.. It looks like it would be possible to make you own.... Anyone have pipe sizes?

call me silly, but if he wanted to make them himself he wouldn't be asking where to get them pre-made smile.gif

You might see if this is something Chuck from Elephant Racing would be interested in making. I know he makes some nice cooling lines for 911 using tubes that have "ribs" for your cooling pleasure.

That is a nice install in that picture...........

grasshopper
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 15 2006, 08:39 AM) *

call me silly, but if he wanted to make them himself he wouldn't be asking where to get them pre-made smile.gif

I was just saying for myself. I wanted some brass lines like this, and never really thought I could make them myself untill I saw this. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
You might see if this is something Chuck from Elephant Racing would be interested in making.

It's been on his table for a while now. I guess not enough interest.
Aaron Cox
ribs for your cooling pleasure LOL

+1 mike....
RON S.
I tried to make a set of brass lines when I was putting my -6 together.

I bought several 6' lengths of formable brass,and formed them all.

I filled them with low melt lead,and a tube bender.I just never could get'em to form w/o kinks in the corners. headbang.gif headbang.gif
I prpbably spent more in tubing than the job was worth.

I gave up and just went w/-16 startlite hose.

Ron
Brian_Boss
Ron:

What type of tubing bender were you using?
Eric_Shea
Contact your local music store and ask them who repairs their brass instruments (trumpet, tuba, baritones etc.). I called one once and they said they could do it of they had the specs.
lapuwali
That's very similar to what I was thinking of in terms of making a "trombone" style oil cooler that ran under the rockers. Just form a loop at the forward end. That finned tubing Chuck has would be excellent for that.
Engman
Trick is to bend it with frozen water in the inside so that it forms properly - but you aleady knew that.

M
kckoch
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2006, 09:31 AM) *

Precision Automotive Restorations in Mass. actually. Mark Allin?

I don't suppose you have contact info? If they do them in batches, anyone interested?
Eric_Shea
You are correct in not supposing that I have contact info. biggrin.gif

I'm sure ChicagoPete does....

Might be interested... depends upon the price.
smdubovsky
Ditto Erics comments: "Might be interested... depends upon the price"

I'd vote NOT to use the finned lines.

SMD
TJB/914
Engman,

A better way to bend tubing is packing with sand. Be sure to tamp it down real tight before bending. Lots easier than frozen water. Be sure to blow out the sand when finished & flush clean.

Tom
Eric_Shea
Silver Spring, MD

Hmmmmmm... didn't I sell you an original S bumper, fiberglass a few years back?? idea.gif

Howdy!

Be sure to blow out the sand when finished & flush clean.

Now, now Tom... really? confused24.gif lol3.gif
Eric_Shea

Not a fin fan either...
BenT
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2006, 09:29 AM) *

Guy out East that did Pete's car makes them... don't remember his name. Martin can chime in with the info. From what I understand, he may make them "occasionally" and in batches.

I'm up for some smoothies depending on price. Fins look awful after a short time. Plus crub build between them.

BenT B. Rasspipes
ChicagoPete
Yes, Mark made mine and has all the measurements off an exact GT set...

Mark Allin of Precision Automotive Restoration 978.463.8144

Hard to give you guys a guesstimate on price, they were at least $500 2 years ago, BUT, you have to also figure that I was paying him at shop rates for fabrication as he did the WHOLE car for me. What he will sell these parts for outright and if he has the time to fab some up I can't answer that question.

Peter
brer
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2006, 01:09 PM) *

Not a fin fan either...

why? They do the job better than smooth.

looks?
smdubovsky
why? They do the job better than smooth.

looks?

Yup. Plus, w/ a cooler up front they are unnecessary.

SMD
Eric_Shea
Period looks
Real cooler up front
Fins get smashed
Fins get full of stuff
BenT
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2006, 01:59 PM) *

Period looks
Real cooler up front
Fins get smashed
Fins get full of stuff

Eggs Zack Lee my sentiment. Anyeone seen the Classic Range Rover tranny coolers? It's just a pipe with coils upon coils of spring wound wire. Looks sturdy.

BenT
kckoch
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Aug 15 2006, 01:30 PM) *

Yes, Mark made mine and has all the measurements off an exact GT set...

Mark Allin of Precision Automotive Restoration 978.463.8144

Hard to give you guys a guesstimate on price, they were at least $500 2 years ago, BUT, you have to also figure that I was paying him at shop rates for fabrication as he did the WHOLE car for me. What he will sell these parts for outright and if he has the time to fab some up I can't answer that question.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Mark is ready to make some and would prefer to make 3 or more in a batch. They are smooth, and are just as the picture above. $650 a set.

I'm in, now I need two more. Any takers?
michel richard
I made my own out of hadware-store steel tubing. Had to make a couple of mandrels to be abloe to get semi-smooth bends. They came out ok, I think, but it was a lot of work.
michel richard
and:

Mueller

not sure of the size, I'm sure someone has to have it written down smile.gif

McMaster-Carr has 1" OD brass alloy 260 for about $50 for a 6' length (.065 wall which might be overkill, .032 is about half the price) they mention that is not bendable however one might be able to anneal it...
michel richard
My stuff is one inch od.
Pretty much the maximum that will fit under the rockers, I think.

Michel
kckoch
I have thought long and hard about making them myself, and decided to let someone else do the guessing. He uses the factory GT specs, a little expensive, but they are the real deal. He only makes a batch about every two years. He said that the stock (brass) he uses, he ordered 9+ months ago, and it just arrived. He planned on just waiting until he had enough interest.

Any takers? I still need two more?
ChicagoPete
Kevin and others...The question you have to ask yourself, "How authentic do you want to look?" "What are you trying to achieve with your car?"

The point being...yes the the cooler lines are cool, but, honestly, on a previous big six that I owned I ran Aeroquip fittings and braided lines to a Mazda comp cooler and that worked just as well as these!

Where do you draw the line...between cool parts and what works just as well? I have at least $5000 into my oil sytem. Shroud, 906 cooler, authentic fabbed flex lines, hard brass lines, oil filler neck, blau cap, magnesium 911S thermostat, oil pressure relief valve, and the overflow tank in the trunk. I wanted everything to look as authentic as I could! And for standard 914 guy all of this is lost unless you have an appreciation for true 914-6 GT racing equipment.

By no means am I trying to take away business from Mark. For my money the cool factor goes way farther on something you can see. Maybe a well made engine lid, GT door panels, or even better an authentic GT steering wheel with the extra padding and the proper horn button.

Peter
fin
Not a fin fan either...
Fin gets smashed
Fin gets full of stuff

Um, are you guys trying to tell me something? And you haven't even met me.....

Cheers,

FIN
Eric_Shea
Shhhhhhhhhhh Fin's here... biggrin.gif

Morning Gents... I'm close on this one. Still pondering. One side says there's nothing wrong with some nice braided lines. The other side says... I spent $300 on some used 911 hard lines. $650's not all that bad for a custom one-off reproduction of the originals.

I don't know how to describe it... I just like the idea of having hard lines down there.

Close to throwing my hat in the ring. confused24.gif
BenT
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 16 2006, 08:44 AM) *

I don't know how to describe it... I just like the idea of having hard lines down there.

Hmmmmm idea.gif So that's how you guys like it in Utah?

As for the brAss lines, $500 already seemed to me a good upper limit. I mean these are repros!? $650 might only be a hair away but enough to buy a small toupee's worth of other goodies.

The braided lines is starting to sound cool.

BenT
Brad Roberts
I had Chuck warmed up to make some 9146 hard lines. I highly suggest we go to someone who can knock these out repeatedly on a CNC tubing bender.

Armando also has a LA connection for making the lines. He made several sets when he was working on his car.

B
pete-stevers
i am running copper not brass...regrigeration grade soft copper is easy to work with, and work hardens over time....but bends easily without pinching.
and a good silver solder keeps it all togther....and i also use a double braidhosing to get to the cooler and from the engine and to dampen vibrations.....and along the longs it is straight thick walled copper....it took us two evenings and a roll of soft copper and a few pipe fittings
maf914
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 16 2006, 09:06 AM) *

i am running copper not brass...regrigeration grade soft copper is easy to work with, and work hardens over time....but bends easily without pinching.
and a good silver solder keeps it all togther....and i also use a double braidhosing to get to the cooler and from the engine and to dampen vibrations.....and along the longs it is straight thick walled copper....it took us two evenings and a roll of soft copper and a few pipe fittings

That sounds reasonable to me. I have a friend who used copper for the fixed runs and flex lines for the connections without problems. Copper does work harden, almost all metal does, but I don't think it's an issue unless the tubing is connected to a vibration source such as an engine or suspension member. Strapping it to the longs and fender wells shouldn't be a problem. At least that's my opinion. idea.gif
lapuwali
Aluminum is lighter than any of these, forms easily, and sheds heat well.
smdubovsky
I said I was interested, but $650 is a little steep. If it was closer to $500 I'd be in. Should we contact Brads sources to see if we can get a run of something cheaper?

SMD
Brad Roberts
and.... is used on ALL Porsche 993's/986/996/997

oil lines and water lines... all aluminum.

B
Brad Roberts
Chuck has the experience. I was going to foot the bill for several sets to be made by "Elephant Racing" New 9146 engine hard lines and GT style cooler lines with or without fins.

Chuck and I have been spending quite a bit of time at the track together.

B
Chuck Moreland
Our website is a little behind.

We now have the kit available with a front extension that arches over the wheel with hard pipe, up to the front.
Chuck Moreland
more
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif

Those look nice!
beerchug.gif Andy
carr914
They look nice, but I don't know if they are $1,600 nice
Chuck Moreland
If you include the front wheel well extensions it goes about $2k.

What we set out to achieve was a super clean solution that looks and functions as if it was a production factory system, had they actually delivered up a production solution. I think we hit our mark.

While not inexpensive, the kit is complete and inclusive of stainless mounting brackets, OEM porsche thermostat with pressure bypass, hoses, scavenge pipe, templates for holes, etc. All fittings and hose ends are 30mm as used by Porsche on all 2.4 and larger sixes. And the scavenge pipe fits both heat exchangers and headers.
lagunero
I saw this set up at the last GAF and it's exactly what I was looking for. Since I had already installed a FMC, I spoke with Chuck and he helped me with what I needed. I'll post pics later this week.

It's worth it. If you haven't plumbed anything or like me, what the right look, it's worth the bucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.