Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where's the good place to buy a lexan windshield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
sww914
for a 914.
nine14cats
Try these places:

Spektr Products

GT Racing

Bill P.
grantsfo
Wow is a Lexan window really worth $600 bucks? Is there a cheaper alternative?
brant
when doing race car projects its good to establish a $/lb formula that you are comfortable with.

our rule on the orange car was 50$/lb

with that formula in place the windshield option would need to save 12lbs over stock to meet that rule.

the GT-lexan lists at 11lbs
grantsfo
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 15 2006, 05:44 PM) *

when doing race car projects its good to establish a $/lb formula that you are comfortable with.

our rule on the orange car was 50$/lb

with that formula in place the windshield option would need to save 12lbs over stock to meet that rule.

the GT-lexan lists at 11lbs

I dont know sounds like its time for a plasma cutter and a trip to TAP Plastic! I'm more of a $10/lb racer!
brant
In my class there are rules...

so to answer your question
yes there are cheaper ways.
I used them

they require some research, patience, committment, and special tools.
but well within the 50$/lb rule.

brant
jimtab
Grant, I sell lexan at the store including 1/2" bullet proof stuff. CAll me at 415-861-1800...7am-3pm m-thurs this week.
byndbad914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 15 2006, 05:07 PM) *

Wow is a Lexan window really worth $600 bucks? Is there a cheaper alternative?

it seems like that is a decent rate assuming they use marguard (says "mar-resistant" on GT's site). I had a similar quote to make one locally with marguard (actually more than $600) so I will probably just get either of those.

I paid way more to have the rear window done than those guys want (due to a "misunderstanding on my part" as they put it and hit me with an additional $120 "programming charge" they really didn't tell me about). So, to do it over again, I would probably just get the stuff from one of them.

If I were to have them done in quantity, my pricing would be about the same as them.
brant
yes coatings are an important part of it.
and plastic doesn't offer the same safety qualities.

mine is 2 seasons old now, and pretty beat up.
I recently got a new one for next year, mostly because my first one is so beat up that I wanted a spare on hand just in case.
(I'm told 2-3 seasons is the lifespan)

drew365
You say the lexan windshield weighs 11#. How much does a stock one weigh?
brant
QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 15 2006, 09:21 PM) *

I actually don't know
alot though

somebody chime in or use the search feature

I'm guessing 35-40lbs of High Center of Gravity weight.
(probably 25lb savings?)
drew365
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 15 2006, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 15 2006, 09:21 PM) *

I actually don't know
alot though

somebody chime in or use the search feature

I'm guessing 35-40lbs of High Center of Gravity weight.
(probably 25lb savings?)

Thats a good savings. Does the lexan get so scratched up that it's difficult to see out of?
brant
[/quote]
Thats a good savings. Does the lexan get so scratched up that it's difficult to see out of?
[/quote]

yep...
scratched..
starred, and stress cracked.

mine is like a bad glass winshield at this point.

on the other hand, I have seen Big 2inch rocks come flying at my face so bad that I flinched... they only left a star or scratch!

so the safety factor is definitely there.
my race shop had a teener that would hit 160 on the straight.
the lexan would "flex" inward from the air pressure and make an audible "pop" noise... until you hit the brakes at the end of the straight and it "Popped" back out.
the stuff is amazingly strong and safe.
brant
drew365
160 in a tuna can on wheels. There's a story for the grandkids. biggrin.gif
sww914
Well, you're gonna die of something, might as well make a good story.
race914
Another source for a 914 lexan windshield

kart54
I don't recall the name but there is a guy out of Las Vegas selling used NASCAR windshields that fit into the 914 with a little bit of work. The name is in an old thread here from a year or two ago when I asked the same question. I bought one back then and it arrived in perfect condition. Cost was $55.00 plus shipping. Took a little cutting with a jigsaw and a fine blade to get it to fit the 914 but no big deal.
Most of the big nascar teams replace the windshields after every race even though they use tear-offs and the windshields are usually perfect (Must be nice to have that kind of money).
If your using it as a track windshield make sure of the thickness. SCCA requires a minimum of 1/4" if I my memory serves me right.
If you google "lexan windshield" I think you'll find it.
Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.