Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Temps - How to get a temp reading?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
Oil Temps: I bought the thermometer dipstick to measure oil temps (not the perfect fix but it will work for now).

Cylinder Head Temps: How do I rig up a gauge to measure this? I'm running 96MM cylinders on 1.8L heads... What do I need to get a cockpit temp reading (other than the obvious temp guage) and how do I hook it up?

I tried doing a search and came up empty. If this has already been covered (probably) then could someone point me to the thread?

Thx in advance.

-pt
bd1308
get the VDO kit. Even an idiot such as myself hooked it up.

It works without electricity. It's neat.

but Red being ground needed some getting used to

b
ptravnic
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 17 2006, 04:18 PM) *

get the VDO kit. Even an idiot such as myself hooked it up.

It works without electricity. It's neat.

but Red being ground needed some getting used to

b

Thx, which VDO kit and who sells it? Dumbass in need of directions... smile.gif
bd1308
I'm a dumbass too smile.gif

http://www.cip1.com

they *USED* to be ~ $60 , but now are hovering around 100 for some reason.

Guess the euro isnt what it used to be (or the dollar for that matter)

b
ptravnic
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 17 2006, 04:23 PM) *

I'm a dumbass too smile.gif

http://www.cpi1.com

they *USED* to be ~ $60 , but now are hovering around 100 for some reason.

Guess the euro isnt what it used to be (or the dollar for that matter)

b

That link didn't work - game me a generic squatter's site... confused24.gif

MarkV
I bought one here:

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=C...pit&Units=E
bd1308
mistype

cip1.com

check edit.

sorry.

b
sportlicherFahrer
what kinda of guage do you want to run? where are you putting it? Autometer 2 5/8 inch guages slip right into the factory center console holes with no mounting hardware needed.
ptravnic
No factory center console present on my 72. The gauge is not the issue - I can find just about any generic gauge that can read temperature. I'm confused as to how to wire it, what to wire it to, etc... Basically, a shcematic would do wonders...

-pt
MarkV
instructions:

http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-130.pdf
ptravnic
MarkV - Now we're talking! Thanking U!

I'm taking the heads over to the shop in about 15mins to get them cc'd. I'll ask them about this as well.

-pt
lapuwali
You can get the VDO setup at aircooled.net, probably for cheaper than anywhere else. Also try CB Performance.

Wiring is very easy. The sensor has a ring end that slips around the spark plug, acting as another spark plug washer. Two wires off that, which lead to two terminals on the gauge. Run the wires up the center tunnel, either squishing them through the stock rubber harness cover, or just drill another hole.
Dave_Darling
Check that the sender fits nicely in the spark plug recess--the ones on my heave have a lip around it that cuts into the sender. sad.gif The next time I have the tin off, I'll see if I can file or Dremel it flat in one spot.

--DD
jd66921
Speaking of CHT, which cylinder is the hottest under normal
circumstances? Which is the coolest?

Thanks,

Jeff
bd1308
#3 is hottest, unless you run lean. then #1 is usually the hottest.

when my engines died, they both ran djet and both of them had #1 die.

b
lapuwali
Because of the direction the fan turns, there's more airflow to the left bank of cylinders than the right bank. There's also (for obvious reasons) more cool air flowing to the front cylinders than the rear cylinders. So, the right-rear cylinder is the hottest running cylinder, and the left-front cylinder is the coolest running. There's usually as much as a 50dF temp difference between the hottest and coolest running cylinder with stock cooling.

ptravnic
Good info boys. I'm going to add a thermo when I put in my fresh heads next weekend.

Great feedback, exactly what I was looking for.

-pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.