Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to clean your engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsteele22

Okay, so I had my head up my butt all summer, and I'm just now getting around to working on the teener, getting it ready for RRC. Apart from a dead battery, it starts up fine. My 7" rims and new tires fit, sorta, after a simple lip roll. I take her out on the road, and everything is fine, except when I accelerate hard, or go over bumps - but its not the tires, its the engine coughing a little. I run some gas treatment through to "take out the moisture", but no improvement. So I pull into a gas station to pop the engine lid and start wiggling stuff. On the driver side engine tin I practically see a reflection of my face : its a friggin' puddle of (moisture-free) gasoline. For some reason, one of the injectors sprung a leak. Glad I removed the sparking AAR wire (and the valve) last fall.... Anyway, being a cheap SOB, I took my chances and drove it home. (Made it, BTW, else this would be added to the "stupidest things you've ever done" thread.) I just replaced the fuel hoses last year, but I'm wondering if I under- or over-tightened a hose clamp. I did buy the "fuel line" style, but didn't get enough, so I used a few of the "cheese grater" style. I've been to busy to deal with it, but Saturday I'll prolly take a look.

Gint
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Aug 23 2006, 10:53 AM) *
(Made it, BTW, else this would be added to the "stupidest things you've ever done" thread.)

But not "the" stupidest... biggrin.gif

Get 'er done!
JPB
Close call!! So the top of your engine is the only clean side.LOL

:beer1:Not as dumb as the fella who sucked it all up with a shop vac?
Tobra
Reminds me of when my buddy and I were test driving his 455 Cutlass SX after installing new carb. Smelled like it was a bit rich, so we checked it out when we got to the house. He hopped out to lean it out, and starts yelling "SHUT IT OFF" A little plug popped out the side of the carb and filled the little valleys in the intake manifold with 110 octane, which is scary to see when it is boiling. Know for sure his spark pl,ug wires are good.
jsteele22
Okay, so I pulled the fuel "rail" from the driver side, took the injectors out, and examined everything. Can't say I saw anything wrong. But I bought some fresh hose and the proper style hose clamps, and put it back together. After some major problems getting the car started (I prolly flooded it), it runs fine, and no leaks.

BTW, I got a can of "starting fluid" to help get the engine started. Just spray into throttle body and go. That stuff rocks !

alpha434
That reminds me... Got to get a new fire bottle for my car. Used the last one on some dope's mustang.

Mustang.
What a waste.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.