Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 Inebriated PCA idiots take a 908 for a joy ride
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
This months PCA mag Panorama has a article from Tom Bobbins (pres) about 2 idiots who took a 908 for a joy ride after drinking. The 908 had been lent to their chapter for a show. Long story short, they wrecked it, pca got sued for $250,000, idiots got sued, everyone got sued. Idiots suspended, waiting to be expelled from pca.

Lesson: Never, never lend your car (pride and joy) to anyone. I've heard too many of these stories, especially about lending to family. Let them use the pickup but never the pride and joy.

Story you always get, I'm so sorry about this, I just feel terrible, good, then pay for it, well, I don't feel that bad. Don't ask about that story.

Later, Don
ptravnic
"Of course I know how to drive using a manual transmission." blink.gif
Leo Imperial
And the 2006 Darwin Award goes to...
Jenny
Story you always get, I'm so sorry about this, I just feel terrible, good, then pay for it, well, I don't feel that bad. Don't ask about that story.

Jeroen knows this story well...

Jen
horizontally-opposed
Saw the car-nage years ago as a result of 908 drunk driving first-hand a few years ago. alfred.gif

Looked like a fiberglass, Gulf-colored Christmas tree topped by an immaculate wood shiftknob. Or was it Martini, I can't remember. Painful to see it, so fresh from a total restoration.

barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

Ah well, like most things, it can be fixed. And, at its value, fixed without exceeding its value. Any special car getting wrecked -- especially for a stupid reason -- is a tragedy, but somehow it hurts me more when I see cars that are just as special to *someone* totaled because their objective "value" doesn't justify repair.

pete
mudfoot76
I read that piece just last night. It made me sick, learning of two drunken idiots wrecking a piece of Porsche racing history. Made me even sicker that the car's owner and his scumbag lawyers are going after PCA too, and that our wonderful civil justice system allows for it (because the car was leant for exhibit at a PCA gathering yet was being stored at a private third party location). If the 908s owner is a member, I hope they revoke his membership as well....

And castration is in order for the drunken idiots sawzall-smiley.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 23 2006, 08:26 PM) *

yeah... this is what happened to my 'pride and joy' in april 2004 when I let my neighbour drive it a little
I warned him a milion times to take it easy, so he parked it in a canal

Haven't seen a dime, still battling the bastard in court (and it aint looking good)
chilli
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Aug 23 2006, 10:04 AM) *

This months PCA mag Panorama has a article from Tom Bobbins (pres) about 2 idiots who took a 908 for a joy ride after drinking. The 908 had been lent to their chapter for a show. Long story short, they wrecked it, pca got sued for $250,000, idiots got sued, everyone got sued. Idiots suspended, waiting to be expelled from pca.

Lesson: Never, never lend your car (pride and joy) to anyone. I've heard too many of these stories, especially about lending to family. Let them use the pickup but never the pride and joy.

Later, Don

AS I read the article the idots were the shop owner and employee. NOT PCA members.

Mike
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 23 2006, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 23 2006, 08:26 PM) *

yeah... this is what happened to my 'pride and joy' in april 2004 when I let my neighbour drive it a little
I warned him a milion times to take it easy, so he parked it in a canal

Haven't seen a dime, still battling the bastard in court (and it aint looking good)

Hey, I have been to that shop! That picture still makes me sick barf.gif

Yeah Jeroen, my feelings are hurt cuz you never let me drive it but you let a moron neighbor wreck it!
Atleast, I did get to ride shotgun with you. smile.gif
70Sixter
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Aug 23 2006, 10:27 AM) *

I read that piece just last night. It made me sick, learning of two drunken idiots wrecking a piece of Porsche racing history. Made me even sicker that the car's owner and his scumbag lawyers are going after PCA too, and that our wonderful civil justice system allows for it (because the car was leant for exhibit at a PCA gathering yet was being stored at a private third party location). If the 908s owner is a member, I hope they revoke his membership as well....

And castration is in order for the drunken idiots sawzall-smiley.gif

agree.gif

And it sounds like both the idiots and the 908 owner will get the PCA boot.

There is a lesson in there for all clubs and non-clubs hosting events. PCA was deemed a bailee because they benefitted from the previous display of the car. The devil is in the bailees (whatever they are).
RS22b
wow! any pics, not that i really wanna see a recked 908, but you have to be curious.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(chilli @ Aug 23 2006, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(DonTraver @ Aug 23 2006, 10:04 AM) *

Later, Don

AS I read the article the idots were the shop owner and employee. NOT PCA members.

Mike

You read wrong. Both members, one a regional officer, one the shop owner. Took it out TWICE! PCA is going after the two of 'em for recovery of damages. The Cap'n
chilli

You read wrong. Both members, one a regional officer, one the shop owner. Took it out TWICE! PCA is going after the two of 'em for recovery of damages. The Cap'n
[/quote]

Stand corrected, does not pay to get old

mike
nebreitling
horrible story. as a general policy, i try to decline offers to drive cars that i can't afford.
drewvw
so stupid...man jeroen that sucks. hopefully the courts come thru for you.

i have this one friend that keeps asking to borrow my 914. everytime he does i have this picture in my mind of my car in a ditch.

I would also like to see pics....
DonTraver
drewvw and for others who have people asking to borrow their cars. I've been known to ask for a cash bond up front( minimum $10k), that usually shuts them up.

These 2 idiots were drinking wine for breakfast, then took the 908 out, then 1 came back, had more wine for lunch and took it out again and wrecked it. Wine for breakfast???

As far as PCA getting sued, it's the deep pockets lawsuit, sue everyone and see who has the most money.

Jeroen, looks like you found out the hard way, just like I did, hope it works out for you, didn't for me, I ate the whole thing. No one drives my cars or bike anymore.

Later, Don
ChrisFoley
Hell, I don't even like test driving my customers' cars. Too many idiots on the roads.
JPB
Hopefully it is still restorable specially for them coins. sad.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Aug 23 2006, 02:49 PM) *

drewvw and for others who have people asking to borrow their cars. I've been known to ask for a cash bond up front( minimum $10k), that usually shuts them up.

later, Don

My good Don:

I am reading with interest you kindest offer to borrow your car for $10000 USD.
Enclosed cashiers check have been forth coming to that ending. You will note that the certifies check is for more than the amount you wished. Please deposit the check at the bank you should choose and send the excessive funds back to me. My agent will soon be in your town to pick up the car.

We are truely blessed to be such good friends:
Ahmed
Jenny
Teeheeheeee

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Jen
JPB
av-943.gif Crazy pics.

Hey Jen, if I was driving and you were my passenger, I might crash too!LOL

beer.gif Leg eye syndrome and your all legs!.
DonTraver
Ahmed, sorry to confuse you, but I said cash with a minimum of $10k, no checks. Since you seem like such a upstanding guy, have I got a deal for you. Kindly send me $70k in $100's, I'll check each bill, I have one of those special pens. And you can be assured that I will send the difference back to you. I'll have the very rare, highly sought after Yugo waiting for you?

Waiting for your money, Don

Jenny, what's with the pictures of the idiots holding the gay signs in front of them, not that there's anything wrong with that. That one went way over my head.

anthony
I stopped letting people drive my car because when you drive an old porsche you are one missed shift away from an overrev and a $10K engine rebuild or a broken transmission with $4K in damages. That is the risk I take but it's too much trouble to train people how to drive and old finicky car correctly and then make them sign a release for a few minutes of driving.

Jeron, how come insurance didn't pay for your car?

Jenny
pics are from people that wised up to the 419 nigerian scam. They would email the scammer questioning their authenticity, and make them take pictures holding signs that said specific things, or put a dead fish on their head, etc.. The nigerian equivelant to a ransom picture with today's newspaper. The scammers would oblige not knowing what a sign saying "ITAKEIT UPMYARSE" means. smile.gif

Leg eye syndrome.. LOL

Jen
JPB
To all our Canuck brothers I say,"I'll pay in Canadian Tire money ay, and give you what ever you want plus a tip ay, okay?"

beer.gif Works every time, specialy in Mexico!
rcrgrl
my husband calls me at work a month or two ago to tell me he let his buddy - whos visiting from NYC - borrow the 914 while he's in town. wants to know if thats a problem. blink.gif
we don't discuss that conversation anymore.....
DonTraver
Love it, thanks for the laugh Jenny, I'd love to see their faces when they do figure out what the signs say.

Don
JPB
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Aug 23 2006, 08:01 PM) *

my husband calls me at work a month or two ago to tell me he let his buddy - whos visiting from NYC - borrow the 914 while he's in town. wants to know if thats a problem. blink.gif
we don't discuss that conversation anymore.....

WTF.gif This is a disgarceful outrage!! Girlfriend, you need to leave him and get yourself a true 914 MAN!!!

icon_bump.gif If you don't mind a fella with huge testicules that is!LOL
Jenny
One more.

IPB Image

Alright, sorry for the hijacked.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 23 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Hell, I don't even like test driving my customers' cars. Too many idiots on the roads.

agree.gif I know exactly what you mean.
drewvw

I'm still wrapping my brain around this one:

wine for breakfast, then going back for more and driving the car (that's worth a ton which is not yours) AGAIN. These guys are either stupid or arrogant...probably all of the above.
Pat Garvey
Suspended? Is this guys nuts, or has the PCA President even become PC???

I'm a 33 year member of PCA & this rhetoric "frosts my n_ts"! Suspended?

These IDIOTS have cost the Club a huge amount of money & they're only suspended? They should be castrated in public! That's almost 6,000 members annual dues! And, all Bobbitt says is to suspend them! Next time I'll vote on the slate. At least I'll make a statement about selecting someone who hasn't been waiting in line to be elected. Sad! Suspended? Throw them out for good. Show you have some testicles, you wimp! i don't care who the are - they're criminals & drunks! Get rid of them.

Abomination! It'll take a LOT for me to renew my PCA dues next year.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 23 2006, 06:25 PM) *

Suspended? Is this guys nuts, or has the PCA President even become PC???

I'm a 33 year member of PCA & this rhetoric "frosts my n_ts"! Suspended?

These IDIOTS have cost the Club a huge amount of money & they're only suspended? They should be castrated in public! That's almost 6,000 members annual dues! And, all Bobbitt says is to suspend them! Next time I'll vote on the slate. At least I'll make a statement about selecting someone who hasn't been waiting in line to be elected. Sad! Suspended? Throw them out for good. Show you have some testicles, you wimp! i don't care who the are - they're criminals & drunks! Get rid of them.

Abomination! It'll take a LOT for me to renew my PCA dues next year.

READ THE LETTER! It reads, more or less, " suspension as a precursor to expulsion consistent with the bylaws." Failure to observe the bylaws would open the club to litigation, something I think they've had enough of ............... The Cap'n
Tobra
too bad, that is my favorite car. So if I join the PCA, do I get to get drunk and run around in a priceless race car? MaybeI will join after all...
Mueller
last year or so there was a story in the paper of cars racing on the freeway at high speeds, one of the cars was a 944 ..in the next months local PCA region newsletter they reprinted the article stating that if the owner is caught and found to be a PCA member, they will get the boot chair.gif
boxstr
Bobbit gave his last speech at Portland Parade, He is out this year.
CCLINPCAMEMBER
STL914
I was a PCA Board Member for several years in the St. Louis Region. At one of our board meetings, the club insurance issue was discussed. Even though members must sign a waiver at each driving event that states the Region and PCA can not be held liable if someone is hurt or there is some damage. we found out that the waivers were worthless. The Regional club and officers, including Board Members, could still be sued jointly and individually. It was at that point that several of us resigned our positions. So in the case of the 908, any standing officer of the regional PCA club could be sued to collect damages.
Brett W
You guys will have to forgive the local idiots. From what I hear the car was in town for Dixie Tech, a tech session held by the Heart of Dixie region. The shop Autobahn Techs was supposedly where the event was held and the car was stored there. The car showed up at our local autocross.

Here is the account from local members who were there minutes before the death of the car in question.

http://teamtac.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi?actio...ay&num=4251
mihai914
There's an old saying in Romanian;

Your car is like your significant other, you don't lend it to anyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.