Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East Coasters!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick L
I'm finally bringing my car home (Maryland) from Georgia. I really don't want to drive it all 600-and-some miles. dry.gif
Anybody recommend a good transport service? Or am I better off renting a truck and trailer? Any thoughts are helpful.

idea.gif smiley_notworthy.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
VegasRacer
Don't be a gayfight.gif . Drive It!
Have an adventure. Enjoy the trip. biggrin.gif driving.gif
crash914
I have a trailer you can borrow....you would need your own truck to pull it. on second thought, I have a truck too.....
fitsbain
I'm due to go to weyelville or something like that Saturday.

It's at the intersection of 77 and 81 in the south west of Virginia. To pick up a motor.

I'm not sure if it would work out but maybe I could help you out.
type47
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Aug 24 2006, 03:15 AM) *

I'm due to go to weyelville or something like that Saturday.

It's at the intersection of 77 and 81 in the south west of Virginia. To pick up a motor.

I'm not sure if it would work out but maybe I could help you out.

wytheville ("with-vul" in your best southern accent) is at the intersection of 77 and 81
nein14
Is that a steel flared car?
jimkelly
I too need to rent a truck with 2 inch tow ball but it has got to come with unlimited mileage - if anyone knows of a place please let me know. Jim

get one of dlee1967 tow bars and have someone drive along with you just in case in a car or truck with a 2 ijnch tow ball and super beetle tow bar.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=47137
JmuRiz
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 24 2006, 02:04 AM) *

Don't be a gayfight.gif . Drive It!
Have an adventure. Enjoy the trip. biggrin.gif driving.gif

agree.gif
I got my car in Atlanta, first time I drove it was on the trip down....I checked it out on one trip, flew down with my dad and drove the sucker home. If you have AAA, you're golden.
smdubovsky
Not sure how close you are to it in GA, but Amtrack "auto-train" along the I95-ish corridor is supposedly cheap. They service from DC to FL.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...00&ssid=136

Though, it looks non-stop so probably doesn't make sense unless you're near the SE corner of GA.

SMD
wilchek
Amtrack is a cool idea but probably cheaper to ship the car as it is 400 for one person and the car and you have to stay on the train
Pat Garvey
I vote for driving it, unless it's a concours car. Enjoy the trip & the heat!!!! But, it'll be an adventure.

Drove mine from Cincinnati to New Orleans non-stop in the late '70's. I'm sure Greenpeace would be all over me today because of the number of bugs/birds & who knows what we hit. What an adventure. Couldn't stand upright for 2 days after, then had to make the trip back. But.....never a 914 problem! One of those trips you never forget.
Rick L
Sounds like a great time, I'm just not sure I trust it for 600 miles. It's been a VERY long time since it's seen more than 50 miles at a time. But we may give it a shot.

Any teeners in the Carolina's I could stop and see on the way?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.