Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James, Rest in Peace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ppickerell
Rest in peace 914 brother. Condolences to the family. No jackstands in heaven, and up there they are all sixes driving.gif . sad.gif
736conver
sad.gif
nine14cats
Rest in peace James, I will miss sitting across from you at the breakfast's and especially all of you posts here on the club site.

Bill P.
DNHunt
May James find everlasting peace and may his family find comfort.

Dave
richardL
sad.gif
LvSteveH
We're all better for having known you and we'll all have to try a little harder in your absence. Thank you..... you'll be missed.
Dr. Roger
this is the kind of stuff i think about when this happens in my life. beerchug.gif

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another.

Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough
and we'll be more content when they are.

After that we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire.

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now.

If not now ... when?

Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Alfred D Souza ...

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin.
But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.

So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time ... and remember that time waits for no one ...

So stop waiting until you finish school ... until you go back to school ... until you lose ten pounds ... until you gain ten pounds ... until you have kids ... until your kids leave the house ... until you start work ... until you retire ... until you get married ... until you get divorced ... until Friday night ... until Sunday morning ... until you get a new car or home ... until your car or home is paid off ... until spring, until summer ... until fall ... until winter ... until you are off welfare ... until the first or fifteenth ... until your song comes on ... until you've had a drink ... until you've sobered up ... until you die ... until you are born again to decide that there is no better time than right now to be happy ...

Happiness is a journey ... not a destination!!

Thought for the day:

"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching."

jasons
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 24 2006, 11:24 AM) *

this is the kind of stuff i think about when this happens in my life. beerchug.gif

One of my favorite quotes comes from Alfred D Souza ...

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin.
But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

agree.gif

John Lennon.... "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Condolences to family and loved ones.
Mike D.
You will be mised... sad.gif
Carl
Condolences to the family. This is a sad day for us and especially for them.
jgara962
Sorry to hear the news.

Condolences to the Montebello family for your loss. We will all miss him.
dion9146
Godspeed James. sad.gif
sjhowitson
As we stand on the shore and wave goodbye to a friend there are friends and loved ones standing on the other shore ready to welcome him.
hands.gif.

GOD SPEED

Peace
nebreitling
Thank you James for your unending contributions to our little corner of the world, and for the integrity with which you so obviously lived your life. Your family is held in my deepest thoughts.
Pat Garvey
sad.gif

It's a strange sadness - losing a friend that you never actually met face-to-face.

Hopefully, I'll get my chance someday.

Bye James - you've left a huge void in a unique group of people.
Ferg
Godspeed James, your missed already. sad.gif

Ferg
914forme
Another good man gone before his time. Never meet James, didn't have to, sometimes you just know.

Hopefully the family knows the wub.gif we had for James.

Off to spend a few moments in silence now, and light a candle for you comrade.

Take care, and God's Speed
Stephen Jacobs sad.gif
pffft
james

"he continued to give in death, maximum donation of
organs and tissues was made to help as many others as possible"

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
he continued to give in death, maximum donation of
organs and tissues was made to help as many others as possible

That's James... biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif

With the passing of James this morning, I’m beginning to smile a bit again (albeit with a few tears welling up). It occurred to me that if we all take even a few lessons from James he will never really go away.

That made me smile...
914nerd
Godspeed James
I never knew you, only knew the vast wisdom and knowledge that you brought to this corner of the world
All of us here at the (non)club will mourn your passing
And I hope that one day, we will all meet again
You are missed

Charles Munson
and, my deepest condolences to his family, for all they have suffered through this
Scott Carlberg
I wish....

- that I had driven my 914 over the last 2yrs, instead of letting it sit

- that I hadn't missed so many 914club events & gatherings over the last couple of years

- that I had met James Montebello

I'm glad that (even for a dumb-guy like me) that I actually learned some things about 914s from James' posts, even though I've owned A 914 for 15+ years.

I'm glad that James Montebello was part of THIS family that I'm a part of

My condolences to James' family & friends.

I never met James 'Lapuwali' Montebello,
but this morning when I read that he had passed away,
I cried.
byndbad914
sad.gif

So I have been following the posts since Monday and have been pretty saddened this week. I never met him, but I was involved in a couple of "technical" posts with him and he was clearly a man that knew a lot, took the time to help others gain that knowledge, and was never condescending in tone. Great asset to humanity and it really, really bums me out that this has happened. I can't get out of my head how clearly not deserving of this he is and far too young... wish I had met him. Just look at the shear amount of posts in this man's honor!! I could only be so lucky to make such an impact on people in my lifetime, especially when you consider nearly all the posts are people like me that never met him face to face.

RIP.
Gint
Words fail me.

My condolences to James' family for I'm sure they are the ones that have the most heavy hearts.

James will most certainly be missed.
Rouser
May God help James' family recover from their tragic loss. He'll be surely missed.
ClayPerrine
Godspeed.......Hopefully I get to meet you on the other side of the twisties, James. sad.gif

Remember, He goes to a place where all the 914s are 914/6 GTs made of stainless steel......... driving.gif

RoadGlue
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2006, 04:09 PM) *

Remember, He goes to a place where all the 914s are 914/6 GTs made of stainless steel......... driving.gif

You got a smile out of me with that one (I needed that).

I hope to be seeing James on the other side too, just not for another forty or more years (no offense James!). In the mean time I think I had better start working on being more like him so they'll let me through the same door. smile.gif

I'm looking forward to hearing stories and seeing more photos of James this weekend at the BBQ in Napa. I have a feeling it's going to be a little bit of mourning mixed in with us celebrating his life.

My condolences to his family and friends,

Randy

MartyYeoman
sad.gif Bye-Bye, James.
You were always the one to ask for the straight poop.
You'll be missed by us all.
fiid
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2006, 04:09 PM) *

Godspeed.......Hopefully I get to meet you on the other side of the twisties, James. sad.gif

I think James might get the stainless 918 (or was it 914/8?) option.

JoeSharp
I'm frustrated, I'm angry and I'm crying.

GOD BLESS YOU JAMES
Joe Sharp
skline
I am truly saddened to hear this news, It could happen to any of us at anytime and it is what they told me I could have last year. I have known others who have perished from this same thing and it is indeed a painful and sure demise. James was a very smart and friendly person and I had numerous email conversations with him in the past and met him up north a few times. I will miss his insight and intelligence. This is a sad day for anyone who knew him.

My condolences to his family.
KaptKaos
He made the world a little better by his contributions to it. He's in a finer place now.

Godspeed James.
ejm
Truly a sad day sad.gif
GTeener
The universe works in mysterious ways...I'm not liking the direction today mad.gif

James will be greatly missed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General Memorial Idea for the club to consider (Jeron/Sean)

What about a lapel pin idea.gif
[concept illustrated here is obviously very rough, but you get the idea...]

Sales can benefit the families.

I suppose it could be used when someone's beloved car goes to its final resting place too idea.gif
scrz914
James, thanks for your help and wisdom. RIP.
Brett W
This sucks! mad.gif
Mark Henry
This is just sad....RIP buddy.
carreraguy
Not surprising news but still somewhat of a shock when I saw message title; the Bay area breakfast crowd and all Teener fans on this site will miss you James. sad.gif

Condolences to the Montebello family; let us all know if there is anything the Club can do for you all.

With deepest sympathy,
SharonG
Peace James. Here's one to you for all you gave to this community. beerchug.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(pffft @ Aug 24 2006, 01:43 PM) *

james

"he continued to give in death, maximum donation of
organs and tissues was made to help as many others as possible"

Click to view attachment

Such a wonderful gift to others! smilie_pokal.gif A piece of you will live on for many years to come in the needy patients who are lucky enough to receive a 'part' of you wub.gif

I never personally knew you either, James........
but all I can think of now is "Sweet Baby James".......maybe something your Mom or Susan used to call you.........

May you feel comfort in the arms of our Lord! hands.gif

Lisa sad.gif
SLITS
'twas the end of an arduous day,
the garage doors closed quietly,
lights in their turn dimmed and went out,
wrenches cooled from the warmth of the hand.

tomorrow will not see the rising of the sun,
tomorrow will not hear the bustle of activity,
tomorrow and beyond the mechanic will rest peacefully,
tomorrow his horizon is eternity.

Godspeed James
scottb
peace and comfort....

may the road rise to meet you and may we all see you on the other side....

sad.gif
jonwatts
I was holding together ok until I saw the picture of him in the mini.

At lunch a couple of months ago James said something like "I gave my mini to my dad. Of course I know it will come back to me one day."

I echo all of the great sentiments everyone else has made. James, I wish I could have known you longer and better. I will think of you often and try to live by the exemplary human life you led. I will continue to pray for your family and hope they ask us for help if they need anything. I can't imagine their loss compared to ours.

Your Friend,

Jon

swood
Love to see such affection for ones who matter to us. I think it should serve as a reminder to us to show this affection to each other during this life, not just after.

How about compiling some of James' written contributions by subject? Kind of a "What would James do?" kind of reference. Not that it would be exhaustive, but easier to go to for "wrenching wisdom".

Possible names:
"The Lapuwali Letters"
"James' Jargon"
"Montebello Mechanics"

you get the picture.... wink.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(swood @ Aug 24 2006, 08:39 PM) *

How about compiling some of James' written contributions by subject? Kind of a "What would James do?" kind of reference. Not that it would be exhaustive, but easier to go to for "wrenching wisdom".

agree.gif "What would James do?"

It's not how long you live, it's how you live. James gave us a great example to learn from. I never met him, but he's helped me in many ways. It would be fitting if we found a way to consolidate his wisdom as a lasting tribute.

My condolences to his family. He is truly missed. Rest in Peace
Chris Pincetich
James' kind and knoweldgeable words were a real pillar in this community. A wonderful example for us all to remember.

When a true brother of a friend that is a surfing buddy passes on, the crew paddles out and forms a circle in the ocean, holding hands in a moment of silence and reflection. After this moment passes, friends share waves knowing their lost bro is smiling down on them.

I've had my 914 for less than a year, and have been surfing for almost 20, so I'm not familiar with any 914 rituals yet.....we'll all have our own memories to cherish.
scruz914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 24 2006, 07:32 PM) *

'twas the end of an arduous day,
the garage doors closed quietly,
lights in their turn dimmed and went out,
wrenches cooled from the warmth of the hand.

tomorrow will not see the rising of the sun,
tomorrow will not hear the bustle of activity,
tomorrow and beyond the mechanic will rest peacefully,
tomorrow his horizon is eternity.

Godspeed James

Wow! Well done Ron.

Although James's intellect and knowledge cannot be replaced, one way we can all honor him is to continue in our posts the respect and selflessness he showed to us.

Condolences to James's wife, his friends and the Montebello family.

-Jeff
alpha434
"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody. I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."

-Mother Teresa

I'm not sure why I thought of this particular quote. But it comes from the heart. I personally believe that regardless of the existance of god, heaven, or hell; all that really matters is that you live this life well. You do things you love. And work hard. And be a good person. This isn't a tragedy. A real tragedy would be if he died without knowing those pleasures. He's in the thoughts and hearts of 914 owners everywhere. What more can a guy ask for?
pfierb
I guess there is some truth in the old adage ....only the good die young.
Didn't know James but he must have been a swell guy.

Life is such a fragile thing.
Twystd1
I will see you in a while James....

Look for me when I come.....

We eventually will all get to hang out again.... In the future..

In the interim.... I simply miss you.

Clayton
bd1308
I like the idea of compiling his posts into James' Wisdom or something like that.
I wished I would have known you better.

Take care! RIP

sad.gif b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.