Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent wiper mods?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I added the intermittent wiper relay and harness to my car. I did not yet modify the steering column stalk. I understand from searching previous threads that it requires breaking off a tab from within the wiper siwtch on the stalk, but I couldn't find any details of what and where to break the part off.

Does anyone have details of what has to be snapped off? Can it done with the switch in he car or do I need to remove the switch asm?

Currently, my wipers run in intermittent mode when in the "off" position, so I'm assuming when I snap off the tab it will give me a new lower switch setting that will now be the "off" spot?

A detailed pic of the part that needs to be broken off would be great !!
SGB
I've had the wiper option from the beginning, and mine is down one to low speed, down two to fast speed, middle off, and up to intermittant. I dunno if thats any value for you to know though.
jim_hoyland
I'm getting ready to install the elay harness; question. Did you have to remove the fresh air blower unit ?

I picked up an old turn-signal / wiper stalk and you can easily see where the tab is because the tab is blocking the switch from going into the optional position.

Keep posting... popcorn[1].gif
East coaster
I installed mine before I had put the fresh air blower in. I'm not sure if you have to pull it or not, but I can't think of a reason you can't get it in without pulling it. You might have to remove the air hoses for better access though.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 24 2006, 07:26 PM) *

I installed mine before I had put the fresh air blower in. I'm not sure if you have to pull it or not, but I can't think of a reason you can't get it in without pulling it. You might have to remove the air hoses for better access though.

This is something I have not added, where did you get the relay and harness? (Like I'll need it in Calif.)
East coaster
got mine on evil-bay. Someone had a harness w/relay with a buy-it-now of 35 bucks and I snagged it. It seems to work fine, I just need to mod the switch to gain the extra position.
914Sixer
Jeff bowlsby is making the harness to put in the intermittent wipers. The relays are getting hard to find though. I scored 3 NOS relays the other day.
bd1308
Seems like a 555 Timer and the associated circuitry could accomplish the same task in a solid state (mostly) manner

I need intermittent wipers, so I think I might go this route

b
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 24 2006, 07:26 PM) *

Does the wiring pretty much follow that of the following "classic" thread ?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=2094

And, How can I test the realy and harness bore installing ?

Thanks,

Jim
brownaar
Let's make things more interesting. Who knows how this switch works? This is the 6-wire(black, brown, green, red/black, black/white, black/yellow) from the 924. The switch has four positions, plus the contact switch for wash. With the intermittent harness/relay and an electric fuel pump, will this switch allow you to do both of these functions independently? Discussions usually focus on only one or the other. I want it all! It does look like when you pull back on the stalk, it completes circuits between brown and red/black as well as brown and black/white. I assume this does a wash/wipe function. None of the rest of the switch makes as much sense.
brownaar
Nuther pic.
brownaar
Nuther pic
brownaar
One more
Eric_Shea
The 924 switch does allow both functions. Up for intermittent and pull for electric pump. I'm surprised Aa hasn't weighed in on this one yet...
East coaster
I have a 924 switch, I guess I should just swap it out!

It's kinda gayfight.gif but I didn't use it 'cause it was a little ratty looking compared to my stocker. I was going to wait until I could recondition it somehow. I'm not sure how to replicate the white icons on the switch stalk though.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 25 2006, 08:26 AM) *

The 924 switch does allow both functions. Up for intermittent and pull for electric pump. I'm surprised Aa hasn't weighed in on this one yet...

Are all 924 switches alike ? or ?
JeffBowlsby
Yup, I got em...not on my website yet. Contact me if you want one.

fiid
I got some VW intermittent wipe relay which made my wipers park again when I put it in. It has an extra pin - which I just bent out of the way... and my intermittent setting doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know WTF is going on with that????

I have a 924 wiper switch in my car.

Sorry for the hijack....

Fiid.
brownaar
Anybody else have any insight on which wire in the 924 switch correlates with which wire in the 914 switch?

924 switch..............914 switch

black........................ ?????
brown....................... ?????
green....................... ?????
red/black.................. ?????
black/white............... ?????
black/yellow............. ?????
bd1308
what colros do we have to choose from on the 9xx switch

n
Eric_Shea
Why is punk admin conspicuous via his absence here? He usually wastes no time in pretending he knows something. This one he might actually know! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.