Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of selling the teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche735
So, after running in the BP class for going on 7 years with the same car, I think it is time to move on. We are about 5 seconds faster in this car than our next nearest competitior and we want to move to some competition. If I am going to race against my dad, I can do it in another class just as easily....

Here are the car's stats:

1973 914 2.0L

Buttonwillow track record
(within 1 second of track record at Thunderhill (both directions) and Laguna Seca on Kumho Victoracers!!!)
4 1st place seasons
2 2nd place seasons
http://www.pca-ggr.org/ttresults.html

We just finished rebuilding the engine and installing a "real" front mounted oil cooler.

General car info:
Rust Free
Fresh rebuild with everything "done right"
All internals balanced, head cc'ed, oil galleys ported, high volume oil pump, oil plugs threaded, heads reworked with oversized valve seats and new sodium filled valves/guides. No oil leaks.
Kerry Hunter Headers with both Supertrapp and "Laguna Seca muffler" setup
Bored throttle body
Modified air intake
Rebuilt dizzy and new vaccum canister
Bowlsby FI harness
Fresh clutch
Fresh synchros in trans
New 1st gear slider and reverse idler in trans
New shift linkage bushings including bronze rear
Braided brake hoses
Brake proportioning valve
Rebuilt calipers (3 years)
Porterfield Brakes (with extra set F/R)
Custom front airdam with brake cooling hoses
Rebuilt/bronze bushed pedal cluster with new throttle pedal
Short shift kit with sprung centering
Custom front oil cooler with AN-12 lines and thermostat
Moved fuel pump to front
Plastic suspension bushings
Chassis stiffening kit (done right)
Inner suspension mount stiffening to fire wall
Rear 180 lb springs
Front 23 mm hollow torsion bars
Front 23 mm Weltmeister adjustable drop link sway bar
Turbo tie rods and rack spacer
Momo steering wheel and shift knob
Roll bar
Harness bar
2 sets of 5 point harnesses (1 new)
External engine cutoff switch
Custom flared fenders
New front windshield
Corner balanced and race aligned
15x6 Panasports with Victoracers (1 event)

Other spare parts....fuel pump, throttle/clutch cables, etc.

I also have a "new" re-geared transmission and another set of Panos (with lovely corded rubber on them) selling separately...

What do you think I should ask? I will be putting on eBay soon....

Chris
ArtechnikA
it'll be interesting to see...

"everybody" says the thing to do when talking about building up a car like this is "buy one that's already done." be interesting to see how many people take their own advice and come though with the cash.

Mark Litherland GA was selling an approximately comparable car a while ago, i think he wanted about $8500 but i don't think it ever sold.

one disadvantage of buying a class-winning car is that if the new owner isn't fast out of the box, s/he has nothing to blame it on!

good luck with it - i'm not in the market tho ...
ChrisReale
Dude, you know the outcome....you wont get what you put in it, and some jack off will try to low ball you. That said, Id guess $6 to $8K maybe? Im not sure because it is a racer, and the market for those is so much smaller than for streetable 914's. I recognize the value in all you have done, but unfortunatly most others wont.... sad.gif
porsche735
It is street legal...... Yes, we have added how much we have put into it over the years and I will be lucky to get some portion of that. What I really want to do is sell it and get a 1972/3 911S and do a ground up...

Chris
Mueller
I think in the $10k+ range, it's a fully sorted out car, it would make a fun street car, but you better like that paint job smile.gif

Good luck Chris
jonwatts
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Oct 24 2003, 04:23 PM)
Dude, you know the outcome....you wont get what you put in it, and some jack off will try to low ball you.

Hey, can't we at least low ball him before you call us jack-offs? smile.gif

You'd probably do better to part it out but that takes longer than most people want to deal with. It's much nicer to just see the car drive away with you holding the cash. Personally, if I'm ready to get rid of something I go towards the low end of realistic pricing; it's better than sitting on something for 8 months waiting for that one guy with $10k to show up.

Are you sure you want to put in on Ebay? Who knows how many times you'd have to re-list it before a "real" buyer shows up.

Oh, and if you want to stay competetive, don't put so much money into the 911. You and your dad are good drivers, no need to overcompensate with hardware laugh.gif
redshift
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Oct 25 2003, 01:23 AM)
Hey, can't we at least low ball him before you call us jack-offs? smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Brad Roberts
Put it on Ebay. If it doesnt sell the third time... part it out and junk the chassis.

B
brant
A couple of -4 race cars have listed on ebay lately and gone pretty cheaply.

A guy I know named David in Kansas has a similar car to you with 5 bolts on it and a fairly fresh motor... He is asking 10K and has been holding out for 15months now.

I've seen 3 local cars that were also similar bring their price down about 3000 before they sold.. started around 11k.

Its shitty that there just is not a market for production class or street based 914 race cars. A clean street car will go for about 1200 less than a race car like yours that has an extra 8000 invested in it.

I'm not trying to come off as negative. I was in your postition last year... trying to decide what to do with my -4 race car. I came to the realization that I would probably only get 8500 for it even though (like yours) I had spent a ton more than that.

Being the cheapskate that I am. I sold off all of the race parts for a higher percentage of what they cost and am building it back into a street car.

As a street car it will probably only sell for the 1500 difference than it would have as a race car, and I sold off 4K worth of motor and race parts to cover my labor.

$.02
brant
porsche735
I'll take some pictures of the pertinent parts and post them this weekend. If I don't get any takes here (an on the Classifieds), it's evilBay...

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.