Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of Targa bar pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I need to remove my Targa bar pad. I have removed the shoulder belt, pads right behind the belts, Targa trim and now am stuck on the bar pad. There looks to be screws deep in the pad. I “believe” I have loosened those. Some look to be missing (not surprising as previous owner seemed to have lost about 20% of the fasteners for most everything I have disassembled so far). Anyhow, it just doesn’t seem to want to budge. Not sure which way it is supposed to come off (Out toward front of car? Down?) I assume that the latch hardware comes off after the pad is removed? Any tips on this?
PRS914-6
I had the same issue. If it does not come right off you missed a screw or two. Get a flashlight and look in the holes. Sometimes the screw head is off to the side
computers4kids
Once you do it off, you better get a 6 pack of beer beer3.gif before you try to put it back on--it can be a b...ch! Try elisting someone with real little fingers.
Lou W
I just removed a pad today, there are 12 screws holding the pad in.
Richard Casto
Thanks for the tips. I will try to see if I can find any missing screws. Once the screws are out, should it pop off pretty easily??
jdogg
Richard-
As long as you have the screws out, it should slide right out. IIRC there are also some screws under the trim plate where the targa latches pass through, make sure not to miss them.
These guys are right, it is a bitch to get em out and get 'em back in.
jk76.914
The latch trim plates have to come off. These are the two plates on the top side at each end. The early ones were metal castings, the later ones are plastic, with a leather texture on them. The screws are at the two ends, down inside. You can reach them from the top with a long skinny philips screwdriver. Once you have them out, you can pull on the plate up and out.

Getting them off is much easier than putting them back on. You're in for a treat when it's time to reassemble!

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.