Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front brake problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Question about front brakes. I ran our local AX on the 20th, on my 4th (of 6 runs) when I came in to grid it sounded like I had a rock stuck between the dust cover and rotor. I did the back up hit brake trick a few times and it still made that sound. It was coming from the passenger side front. I quickly jacked up the car and pulled the wheel. I didn't find any stones, I turned the rotor by hand and didn't here any noise. I put the tire back on and continued to race and all was good. On the way home I started to hear the "rubbing sound" sound again, but it would stop if a lightly tap the brakes.

I finally have time today to look at this. With the front wheel on or off it sounds like metal rubbing the rotor when I spin the wheel / rotor. It seems to me that pads are making contact with the rotor, but I need to check the venting clearance. I have never messed with brakes before, what should I be looking for?

I'm heading off to sears to get a fueller (sp) guage, dial caliper and micrometer. A man gotta have tools for the job. rolleyes.gif smash.gif
Brando
The venting clearance is only set on the rear brakes for the parking brake. Pull the front pads and inspect them asap.
Eric_Shea
Same exact thing happened to me at Laguna Seca during the 98 Historics.

Wheel bearing.

Now... if it is a brake problem it might be a sticky "knockback" mechanism in that caliper. They are designed to knock the piston back toward the rotor offering a higher pedal feel in return. They have been known to be problematic, even loosing a few races because of front brakes overheating in battle.

If you decide to do a rebuild, either concentrate on cleaning those mechanisms thoroughly (they reside inside your pistons and ride on the pin inside the caliper) or... break them off.
Brando
Another way a wheel bearing issue might present itself is when turning slightly left and/or right, you may hear a whine or grinding/metal-on-metal rubbing. Try going in a straight line and start with very small incremental turning of the wheel. I would try at varying speeds as well.

If you're going to pull the wheel for a bearing replacement, might as well check the pads. I believe headrage a year or so ago had a question about an intermittent grinding/rubbing noise, we found that the pad material separated from the backing. That was a fun afternoon in San Pedro smile.gif
Eric_Shea
What's the word turd? confused24.gif
bd1308
Garold, I just got done with a four corner rebuild of my brakes.

Lemme know if you need help, or even a looksy.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.