Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Conversion Throttle Set-up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I just got done replacing my clutch cable and started to see if I could adjust my throttle so I could get the carbs to fully open.

I have a bell crank that mounts to the right side of the tranny and just doesn't seem right.

The way the cable is routed to it, makes 3 or 4 really tight bends and leaves it touching the top of the cv joint.

What are you guys using for throttle set-up with carbs?

Pics would be very, very goooood....
Cap'n Krusty
A pic from you would be really good, too. I used the RichJohnson kit, which is much like the factory setup, and it worked just fine. BTW, the 914/6 bell crank is like no other, so you have to use one to get the right proportions. The Cap'n
Allan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2006, 02:33 PM) *

A pic from you would be really good, too. I used the RichJohnson kit, which is much like the factory setup, and it worked just fine. BTW, the 914/6 bell crank is like no other, so you have to use one to get the right proportions. The Cap'n

This is one that the PO put together.

I'll post some pics in a little while.

Where do you get the Rich Johnson set up Cap'n?
echocanyons
you could try asking Rich Johnson happy11.gif
Allan
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Sep 1 2006, 02:56 PM) *

you could try asking Rich Johnson happy11.gif

That's a pretty good idea. w00t.gif

I sent him a pm, the pics in his resource thread don't show up...
Brad Roberts
RJ kit all the way. I know it works correctly every time.

The RJ kit is a replica bolt on solution based on the original factory design.

B
Porsche Rescue
I used RJ kit and it was great. You need to drill one hole in case but he gives you a template and real good instructions. Included is bracket, bell crank, factory rod and throttle cable. Expensive but worth it.
Allan
Here are a couple of picks of what I have now. Can only get about 2/3 throttle and really stiff throttle.
Porsche Rescue
You might try shortening the rod and lengthening the cable to see if that helps. Disconnect the cable from the lever, adjust the rod to get wide open butterflies when working the lever by hand from below (someone else peering into/at the carbs). Then adjust the cable to fit.
You have Dan's fabrication which others have found to work OK. Rich's is over $300 so if you can make yours work it is worth a little effort.
Allan
I'm starting to think that "Dad" put it on upside down and ass backwards after he tried to "Make It Better".... dry.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 1 2006, 05:00 PM) *

You might try shortening the rod and lengthening the cable to see if that helps. Disconnect the cable from the lever, adjust the rod to get wide open butterflies when working the lever by hand from below (someone else peering into/at the carbs). Then adjust the cable to fit.

Everything is as tight as I can get it. Fittings are bottomed out and the cable is still loose.... sad.gif
J P Stein
This is pretty much the stock set-up. No binds or "bad angles" and works like it.
Allan
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 1 2006, 05:15 PM) *

This is pretty much the stock set-up. No binds or "bad angles" and works like it.

If I had that set up I would have at least 12 inches of cable dragging the ground.

Looks pretty nice though.

Iffin yer not usin it at the moment JP can I fit it on my car?
Allan
This angle bothers me.
J P Stein
That's the stock 914/6 throttle cable. Note that the pivot mounts 3-5 inches farther aft.....I don't like your cable bind either nor the angle of the piece going into the tin....but it may be just me biggrin.gif
IIRC, the RJ pieces put "stuff" where the orginals were using a similar method to yours.
Cap'n Krusty
Walt Disney would be proud. All it lacks is the big round ears .......... All joking aside, get the kit, install it, and be done with fooling around. The Cap'n
Allan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2006, 05:40 PM) *

Walt Disney would be proud. All it lacks is the big round ears .......... All joking aside, get the kit, install it, and be done with fooling around. The Cap'n

I agree, John can you make it over on Tuesday to help? wink.gif
echocanyons
In the install design diagram it doesn't show a bind? Is yours setup right or would there be an inherent bind with that setup
SLITS
I'm sure that tab that the throttle cable goes thru, as it is made of mild steel, can be tweaked with a japanese adjustable wrench to lessen the severity of the angle.

You also could possibly slot the mounting holes a tad to bring the top bolt mount sown slightly and bring the bottom mount bolt up slightly.

The cable end could be trimmed a bit and pushed farther into the barrel nut. It doesn't care if it clamps that nice round rod or the cable itself.

Yes, I love Pixie Dust and Mouse ears ..... it may not be perfect, but it didn't cost $300. So call me a "Mickey Mouser" ..... fixed a lot of cars at the track with non-perfect methods to finish a race.
Trekkor
I also use Dan's kit.
This is the prototype unit.

I have zero problems. Full throttle. Easy heel/toe work.

Your picture seems to show the throttle rod as being too short.
A longer push rod will put the cable at a better angle...Like mine wink.gif

The stiff throttle action is prolly the accel cable binding out of the firewall tube.
You need to bend it down slightly because it is no longer going up into the engine bay.

My cables were sawing back and forth, binding and breaking pretty quickly.
Now they don't.

KT
john rogers
Sure are a lot of parts to bind and/or come loose in those bellcrank setups. I use a cable from a four and have a small aluminum abgle bracket mounted on top of the bell housing. Full throttle is no problem and very simple.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.