Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: arrrgh - if there's one thing i don't like about this car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw
i try to go out for a spin with the missus this evening and we get out of the neighborhood and smell gas. Its dripping a little right near where the plastic that comes out of the tunnel meets the rubber.

cut to me spending the next 2 hours trying to get a new piece of fuel line on the freakin plastic line.

Whats the secret with getting it onto the plastic without kinking it to hell? I can only get it on enough to clamp it once, and I'm not sure thats enough....how far should I have that guy on?

at least I now know the plastic lines are still pliable...if there weren't they would have cracked bigtime.

help a brother out.....

Drew
ChrisFoley
Stainless Steel Replacement Fuel Lines
drewvw
definitely but right now I'm trying to avoid that....not in the mood for that job and my plastics are still good.

but these plastic lines freak me out in general. seems like such a strange idea for use with gasoline.

idea.gif

you know what though, i might as well buy a pair off you.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drewvw @ Sep 1 2006, 05:50 PM) *

Whats the secret with getting it onto the plastic without kinking it to hell?

are you sure you're using the right size/brand rubber fuel-lines ???
idea.gif Andy
drewvw
i think so. they are the high pressure ones from pelican and its the same inside diameter as the one that came off. I don't know guys...I guess I will take another look in the morning and see if its satisfactory or not.

sure fired me up though ar15.gif fighting19.gif
type47
5/16" fuel line from FLAPS (i hear some cringes!) and a little wd40...
SLITS
You have 7mm line if it is for the return. You have 9mm line if it is for the suction. 5/16 is 7.5 mm and is a little sloppier. 3/8 is 9.5 mm and a little sloppier.

With a little lubricant on the plastic or inside the rubber line, you will be able to slide it on 1/2" - 3/4" .....quite sufficient for either line with one Norma clamp (or even a hose clamp).

Remember, one is suction (no pressure) and one is free return (no or minimal pressure if any).
drewvw

i definitely got it on 1/2 - 3/4" I guess I was just thrown off because the PO really had it in there, like over an inch and was double clamped.

I need to order 9mm to do the other one. I used grease but i think spraying inside is the trick, never had this much trouble with a fuel line before.

thanks....you guys rock as usual. clap56.gif
jsteele22

I was gonna add that you should never use petroleum based lubricants on rubber parts, use something soap instead. Then I realized something- it's a friggin' fuel line. laugh.gif
Dr Evil
5/16" and 3/8" 48"L stainless brake lines work great for me and cost $10. Just cut the ends off, bend a little to fit, and you are in business.
Stuie
Just had the same issue.

I guess this reformulated gas is nasty stuff. Forearm was on fire (chemically not flames) by the time I got the leak stopped.
drewvw

I was gonna add that you should never use petroleum based lubricants on rubber parts, use something soap instead. Then I realized something- it's a friggin' fuel line. laugh.gif

exactly! I went through the same thought process and realized ts a gas line....why did they use plastic i do not get it.

Just went under and checked again. Seems to be about a 1/2" in, its close but I am going to run with what I got.

No leaking gas (actually I couldn't get it to leak again before I changed the line, which I do not like) so i guess I will watch it and see.

Good thought evil, i did the same thing for the lines in the engine compartment...just trying not to get into this until I rip the engine out.

There's only a couple months left until winter and she's had such a good run the last half of the summer... i'd like to keep her driving.gif

thanks for the therapy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.