Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: noob - engine mount bar choice?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jax914
My car was a puzzle when I got it...fortunately I got a "complete" parts car so I've had something to use as a guide.

But I have two different styles of engine cross bar. One with the hole and one without... I have a 1.7 and a tail shift tranny. Which one should I spend the time cleaning up and painting without having to go through a full engine install?

IPB Image

Thanks,

Troy
welder.gif
John
Tail shift = top
Side Shift = bottom
Jax914
Thanks! This is the fastest board I've ever seen for answers.
Aaron Cox
i concur with john....

transmission dictates which to use
davep
Well sort of. Yes the tranny will dictate quite a bit. However you have to do a bit of extra work if you use a late tranny in an early car. Up to end of 72 the early bar was used with the tailshift and the approriate linkage. That linkage, especially when it exits the firewall is a lot different from that used in 1973.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Jax914 @ Sep 3 2006, 08:02 PM) *

My car was a puzzle when I got it...fortunately I got a "complete" parts car so I've had something to use as a guide.

But I have two different styles of engine cross bar. One with the hole and one without... I have a 1.7 and a tail shift tranny. Which one should I spend the time cleaning up and painting without having to go through a full engine install?

IPB Image

Thanks,

Troy
welder.gif

Those 2 rubber mounts you have with the early mount (top) belong with the later mount (bottom). You CANNOT use them with a tail shift tranny. Not also that the parts bolted directly to the engine differ as well. You cannot use the late brackets with the early bar, nor can you use the parts bolted to the body. The early cars use mounts there, the late cars use brackets. The Cap'n
nbscooters
cars prior to 1972 came with that mount. the motor mounts for the top of motor mounts can cost over 100 bucks per rubber mount. i would suggest the sideshift with lower motor mount.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.