Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i love the 904 replicas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
davep
If you can find an original 904 with a 906 serial # then you are laughing.
maf914
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 18 2006, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Nov 18 2006, 09:55 AM) *

I went over to Chuck Beck's house in Hesparia, CA a few years ago and look what he had in the garage...Trivia question: What is the car on the bottom rack?

Thats a Lister it now has a 12 cyl Jaguar engine in it.

I think he originally built the Lister replicas to be powered by a small block Chevy. But a V12 Jag is cool! laugh.gif
Sammy
Beck showed up at an autocross in Fontucky (Fontana) a few years ago with a blue lister. It was powered by a chebby with 4 webbers on top, I think it was a blig block but not sure, the CRS is kicking in.
He made a couple of exibition laps.

Burn-out, brake. Burn-out, brake. Repeat.

Last time I was at dunkel's (the real dunkels, not the wannabe) there was a blue 904. It looked a little rough, but the story goes that it was butzi's unrestored personal car. I don't think I would restore it either.
EDIT here it is, photos courtesy of wayne dempsey.

Sammy
And as much as i like 904s, I think I'd rather have this:
richardmosselman
www.904gts.co.uk
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 4 2006, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(HeloMech @ Sep 4 2006, 05:19 PM) *

what kind of work is involved in a kit like that?

That kit is made up of fiberglass panels that are glass on a 914. AA still sells
the kit and has pictures on the web site as well as Chuck Becks 904 and
the 904 made in the UK.

The only real 904 look a likes were only sold as complete cars ,minus
engine and transmition and were $$$ A 904 replica is made in England
also Thunder ranch is sell a 904 now for $50K but is not a kit.
The only kit cars are those made by Avanti Motor Inc
(Chuck Beck version)

For better or worse (opinions vary), the kit has not been available for a decade. The updated version, a better replica, has been promised for almost that long, and is closer to production than ever, but its hard to tell how close- months, years? The old AA kit involved cutting and grinding off most of your old metal, screw- and-glueing on the new panels, then finishing-all advertized as do-able "by a father and son team in a weekend". Yeah, if both were pro body men. I am the lucky (I think) guy who bought the one pictured (an original AA show assembly, later featured in Kit Car Illustrated mag in 1997 (anyone got an orig. copy of that issue?). Needs work (may be running with out a tow by Dec.), but seemed like a prize to me. If you are going to be in the Wash. DC area and want a look, email me and we can make a time. -Chris H., Falls Church, VA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.