Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In the Market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keske968
Hello all... First let me say that I am a new member to this site and have been bitten by the 914 bug. I currently have a 1994 968 coupe and I want to buy a 914 for a dialy driver. I will be in the market for one about june of next year, but it's never too early to start looking. I was wondering what I can expect to pay for a reliable 914 daily driver. I know that phrase opens a whole can of worms but a can of worms is usually a good place to start smile.gif

I have been researching these cars for about a month but getting invaluable insight from the people who actually drive them is something completely different. I have been checking the F/S forum as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Adam
Twystd1
Adam,

Welcome to your new home.... We will be handing out cocktails promptly at 8:00 PM and we expect you to wear a traditional tuxedo throughout you apprenticeship here on the club board.

NOW...

That said............

A heary welcome to you... OOOps.. .......I mean hearty welcome.............

(Dam energy drinks and spelling don't mix.)

As far as a daily driver 914....???

HHHmmmmmmmm

That is to some degree dependent on where you live.
As weather conditions and/or how big your balls are, will at times dictate the usage of your soon to be 914.

They are not a particularly good car for snow or obscenely bad weather in my opinion. Didn't say they won't work... Just stating that it might be a wee bit difficult when you are trying to race a snow plow and it smokes you around the tight turns....
So if ya live in that kinda enviroment. Me thinks this will not be a YEAR AROUND daily driver. Then again thats why you have the other Porsche.

Since I live in SoCal... I don't need AC.. Nor much of a heater. nor brains or driving skill for that matter.

What I do need for my car to mitigate ordinary road rage and other personal issues like voices in my head are big, fat, sticky, wide tires sitting under flared fenders and a 150HP engine to match. (I got that)
(When my car comes off jack stands) (If ever)

This simply allows me to vent my negative emotions and my prediliction for cleaning guns at home by harrasing unsuspecting teens, dressed like Tupac or Snoop, driving their Hondas that make too much noise and have wings all over their car for some inane reason.

Yup.. I have the ability to race Hondas.. And all kinds of unsuspecting cars. Including 911s. Yup... These little cars, set up correctly, can smoke many modern cars in handling, braking and and just simply kewl looking.
I also suspect a 914 can get me laid. Like my bro with the Lambo. Then again.. he has real money.
I have to make mine. (color printer. I use Aarons face on the bills)

I know several folks locally that drive their Teener's daily and say they love it.
(This is not a paid endorsment mind you)

Yup........Iffn ya want one.. You are either going to build one. = $$$ and time.

Or you can buy a basic runner and constantly fix it, upgrade it or simply tweak on it to learn the process of building a car until the car is finished and built to your specifications.

Many of the members here, have done that. And some of their cars handle better, go faster, look better than Porsche AG ever did.

OR.. You can buy a finished car that is done... Complete and won't give ya too much problem.

Kinda depends on how much time, knowledge, 914 resources and money you have.

Whatever your dream may be..... It can be bought.

Ballpark... a relatively clean 73 - 75 that needs minimal mechanical work can be had for 5-8K. IF YOU LOOK...!

Maybe even cheaper if you get real lucky.

A relatively primo 914 of any year can run from 8-14K and on occasion more.
Price is based on condition and demand. In SoCal prices vary WIDELY from my first hand knowledge.

I have passed on very, very nice 914s with great paint and in good running condition for less than 6K. (dummy) ( I will beat myself later)

And the prices are going up yearly.. Which is great for current owners. And sucks for the new guy with little dollars to buy a 914.

And you can get dam near any 914 related question answered right here on this club board.
Cept don't ask me much cause I don't know shit.

By the way...
This place really rocks, it's fun, it's informative, and best of all....
You can meet good people. (except Slits cause he is ugly and old and smells bad)
And Mike Z... Oh my God you should hear the story's about Z.. Pm me and I will make up one for you.

So I say to you new guy..

U B in da right place. And Welcome.

Regards,
Twystd1

Note: If a guy named Howard contacts you. RUN...!!! He is wanted by Ferrari North America for stealing rubber hoses. You do not want to become an accesory to the fact.!!!!!!!!! I think it's howard anyway......

Aw crap... Is it Aaron or Howard? or Joe Sharp... CRAP... Need more coffee...

Goodbye
pfierb
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 6 2006, 05:40 AM) *

Adam,

Welcome to your new home.... We will be handing out cocktails promptly at 8:00 PM and we expect you to wear a traditional tuxedo throughout you apprenticeship here on the club board.

NOW...

That said............

HHHmmmmmmmm

As weather conditions and/or how big your balls are, will at times dictate the usage of your soon to be 914.

They are not a particularly good car for snow or obscenely bad weather in my opinion. Didn't say they won't work... Just stating that it might be a wee bit difficult when you are trying to race a snow plow and it smokes you around the tight turns....
So if ya live in that kinda enviroment. Me thinks this will not be a YEAR AROUND daily driver. Then again thats why you have the other Porsche.

Since I live in SoCal... I don't need AC.. Nor much of a heater. nor brains or driving skill for that matter.

What I do need for my car to mitigate ordinary road rage and other personal issues like voices in my head are big, fat, sticky, wide tires sitting under flared fenders and a 150HP engine to match. (I got that)

This simply allows me to vent my negative emotions and my prediliction for cleaning guns at home by harrasing unsuspecting teens, dressed like Tupac or Snoop, driving their Hondas that make too much noise and have wings all over their car for some inane reason.

Yup.. I have the ability to race Hondas.. And all kinds of unsuspecting cars. Including 911s. Yup... These little cars, set up correctly, can smoke many modern cars in handling, braking and and just simply kewl looking.
I also suspect a 914 can get me laid. Like my bro with the Lambo. Then again.. he has real money.

I know several folks locally that drive their Teener's daily and say they love it.

Yup........Iffn ya want one.. You are either going to build one. = $$$ and time.

Or you can buy a basic runner and constantly fix it, upgrade it or simply tweak on it to learn the process of building a car until the car is finished and built to your specifications.

Many of the members here, have done that. And some of their cars handle better, go faster, look better than Porsche AG ever did.

OR.. You can buy a finished car that is done... Complete and won't give ya too much problem.

Ballpark... a relatively clean 73 - 75 that needs minimal mechanical work can be had for 5-8K. IF YOU LOOK...!

Price is based on condition and demand. In SoCal prices vary WIDELY from my first hand knowledge.

I have passed on very, very nice 914s with great paint and in good running condition for less than 6K. (dummy) ( I will beat myself later)

And the prices are going up yearly.. Which is great for current owners. And sucks for the new guy with little dollars to buy a 914.

And you can get dam near any 914 related question answered right here on this club board.

By the way...
You can meet good people. (except Slits cause he is ugly and old and smells bad)
And Mike Z... Oh my God you should hear the story's about Z.. Pm me and I will make up one for you.

Regards,
Twystd1

Note: If a guy named Howard contacts you. RUN...!!! He is wanted by Ferrari North America for stealing rubber hoses. You do not want to become an accesory to the fact.!!!!!!!!! I think it's howard anyway......

Goodbye

Twystd1, You are sure a funny guy no one could answer the daily driver question better.

Paul F.
ptravnic
I see you are in eastern Nebraska. My dad has owned a 914 for ~ 20yrs (I blame him for my 914 disease). He's not far from you in Lincoln.

Email him dat@unlserve.unl.edu

-pt
70Sixter
I'd spend the time trying to forget 914s while continuing to research them. Then if you still can't resist, follow the wisdom in the previous posts. And welcome.png
KaptKaos
Geez Clayton, you trying to scare the guy off?!? blink.gif wink.gif screwy.gif

welcome.png

And let's get this out of the way now too:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

We like all Porsches, even Audi ones, so show us that 968. biggrin.gif

Clayton pretty much covered all the bases on the buying side of things. You should post a little more info on what you are looking for and you might find someone local with a deal for you.

Good luck and welcome to the zoo.

Twystd1
Adam,

Start throwing questions out..

Have some fun.

And don't wait till June to pull the trigger.

If the right deal comes up...

JUMP ON IT..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We here to back your play.
(cept me sometimes cause I have alzeimers)

Regards,
Twystd1
Aaron Cox
it are not me.....who am i?

cheese.
arc914
welcome newbee
glad to see ya and TW had me friggin killin myself with that info on what you are looking for.
My 2 Cents from a canadian point of view. I need heat and wiper fluid and rear defrost and more $ and more time but bought my DD 6 years ago for 3000$ and now after a complete rebuild of all parts is at 18-21000$ in there but that includes labour in ares that i was to scared to tackel.
So 3000? got it in the driveway(on it's own power) and then the fun started.
keep in mind that this canadian dollars so do th current conversion and that sould get you a ride that will look good-have minimal work at first and get you laid
cheers from your northern teener family
located at the Heart of the Great lakes
andrew
Lou W
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 6 2006, 02:40 AM) *

Adam,

NOW...

That said............

HHHmmmmmmmm

By the way...

Regards,
Twystd1

Goodbye

blink.gif

Outside our classifieds, I think Camp914 can pretty much show you what you can get and for what it would cost.

btw welcome.png
grantsfo
914 prices vary wildly. I still see great daily driver cars for as little as $3500 and as much as $8000. I would be worried less about intial cost and look for a real clean car priced reasonably. You could probably find a fairly clean car for about $5K to $6K. Always better to go with a recently rebuilt car that has been done well by somone knows 914's. 1.8's and 1.7's are usually better buys if you dont care about getting a 2.0.
IronHillRestorations
First off, get the best car you can afford.

Most of the time a cheaper car costs more in the long run, will decrease your seat time (some by years), and increase your *%^#@#!! vocabulary. If you have to do serious rust repair, it costs more to restore a 914 (outside the engine) than the same year 911.

Be prepared to travel, or use the members on this site to help you look at a car that is a distance transaction. If you can't get either, have the seller get the car on a lift and video tape the critical areas, by now you probably know about these.

Be prepared to jump on the right car if it presents, and conversely walk away from one that doesn't make the cut (see line 2). You might get lucky and find a good car the first one you look and (highly doubtful), but you'll probably have to look at more than 10. There is a really nice green four cylinder in the classifieds, and a really nice white six too.

Outside of California, you will not find a straight, unrusted, good running car, that hasn't been welded back together, for $3500. These cars just don't exist anymore, unless per chance you find someone selling a car with total ignorance as to current values. 914's used to be the affordable Porsche, there's no such thing anymore. (see line 2)

If you can afford it, I would budget $8-$10,000 and get a car you'll be happy with, and can spend your time driving, not "jackstanding". If you can afford more, then spend more and get an even finer example. It's easy for me to spend your money though.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.