Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tell if seal is OEM or aftermarket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have read in the past that some (all?) aftermarket front trunk seals don't fit right. Pelican has new OEM seals ~ $150, but I am watching ebay and classifieds here for a OEM seal to replace my old worn out one after teh car is painted this winter. So....... can you tell a OEM from aftermarket by just looking at a photo? if so what is different between the two?

There are two auctions on ebay right now This one and this aftermarket one I believe from one of members here.
jk76.914
The first one looks OEM to me. The second aftermarket. The pics are a little blurry, but I'm pretty sure.

The OEM one has a thinner sealing flap, and lies almost parallel to the base of the channel into which it installs. The aftermarket one has a sealing ridge, as opposed to a flap, that actually looks nice IMHO, but probably doesn't compress enough to close the hood as tightly. Not sure on this, just speculating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

Here's a pic of my aftermarket seal as I listed it on eBay a while back. I sold it when I decided to go OEM.

Jim

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.