Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Montebello (Lapuwali) Memorial
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GTeener
Guess that leaves those who want something 'in time' for a September event with ribbon, marking pens, bits of wiring harness and maybe a broken fuse or 2 biggrin.gif
Jeroen
here's an idea...

another possibility would be to do the 914club badge (like my avatar) and replace "kurvenmeister" with "lapuwali"
but... we'd have to get them printed and they won't appeal much to James' Mini and Fiat friends
GTeener
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 14 2006, 04:09 PM) *

here's an idea...

another possibility would be to do the 914club badge (like my avatar) and replace "kurvenmeister" with "lapuwali"
but... we'd have to get them printed and they won't appeal much to James' Mini and Fiat friends

If the design is more universal/generic 914 Club, it can be used in times of future needs.

Change the words to something like:

"Forever Remembered"
or

"Never Forgotten"
or

"Forever In Our Hearts"
or

"With Us Always"

And put a 914 outline in place of the #24
Eric_Shea
here's an idea...

I like it... it's more in the vein of a memorial vs. the badge. Could we have them small enough that we could attach them to a vent window?
Jeroen
QUOTE(GTeener @ Sep 15 2006, 01:23 AM) *

If the design is more universal/generic 914 Club, it can be used in times of future needs.

Lets just hope we don't need anything like this anytime soon...
And if we do, let's do something personal rather than generic

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 15 2006, 03:34 AM) *

I like it... it's more in the vein of a memorial vs. the badge.

Agreed...

Could we have them small enough that we could attach them to a vent window?

That shouldn't be a problem...

GTeener
OK. Whatever the group thinks is most appropriate.

Should have a 914 outline in the design somewhere, don't you think?
fiid
More pics for the albums:

I have these pics at super-high res (8 megapixel) for printing if you guys want them, btw.

fiid
pix
fiid
BTW. I'm just kicking myself that I spent 2 solid days with James on the Alpine 500 and I didn't get any good pictures of him. sad.gif

Mueller
Count the Müller family in smile.gif

after putting a few hundred miles on the rental car with the twins feeling some G's in the back seat without spitting up all over the place I figure they ought to be okay during the drive smile.gif

see you in a few weekends and thanks again for putting this together..........
jonwatts
icon_bump.gif

The destination (Cameron's Inn) look's perfect.

IPB Image

Are there any laws against driving a car with no hood and no rear window? idea.gif
reedhmb
Cameron's has free high speed wireless, for anyone that wants to setup a web cam for those that aren't able to attend. I'm using it right now from their parking lot. Mark
GTeener
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Sep 17 2006, 11:04 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

The destination (Cameron's Inn) look's perfect.

IPB Image

Are there any laws against driving a car with no hood and no rear window? idea.gif

No rear window isn't a problem. Not sure about no hood confused24.gif

Seems kinda dangerous if something gets in there while you're driving blink.gif
Tobra
I am coming, cancelled my house calls for the day. I should say I plan to come, if a certain dude did not get his charts done and got his priviedges revoked I will be covering his call Friday, and one never knows what will wheel into the ER.

May even drag the wife along, and she hates my little air cooled cars.
Jenny
Anyone going from the south bay that has an empty seat?

Jen
Dave_Darling
I'm going, but I'm not sure if Lisa is or not. I'll keep you posted.

--DD
Dave_Darling
Just talked to her. She's not going, so I'll have an extra seat. Give me a call so we can coordinate.

--DD
Jenny
Yes sir! Thank you sir!

Jen
neo914-6
Besides Mueller, is anyone bringing kids? Ed are you bringing your daughter? Is this event appropriate for kids (my wife is asking)? Can the Pub accomodate them?

Is there a place @ 82/280 we can join the caravan? driving.gif What is the meet time at Cameron's?

I like Jeroen's design. Unless someone got them made,
I'm just printing it and will tape it on my car.
fiid
Hey,

I'm pretty sure Camerons is okay with kids - they have a bus full of games. I'm not bringing either of mine with though since they are 2 weeks and 2 years and can be a bit of a handful smile.gif It's shoud be appropriate for kids - depending on their age. I think the risks would be car sickness on the drive - and perhaps boredom - since there will probably be a healthy amount of standing around yacking - although at Camerons I think they could get a fill of video games.

You could probably join the troupe at 280 and 92 - If you parked on Canada road and waited for a bunch of 914s (and others!) I expect to leave Foster City at 10:00 - so we'd probably be around there at about 10:10 or 10:15.
richardL
As I recall the shopping center is quite big - is there a particular place we should meet up, outside a certain store perhaps?

Also, based on the mileage, I'm guessing we get to the restaurant at around Noon. Does that seem correct, or is there a better estimate?

Richard
fiid
Noon is about what I was aiming for smile.gif.

I'll post an image tomorrow of the intended rendezvous point...

LS6/914
Through the weekend my train (elect eng Amtrak Cascades) will fly the 914club from the power car in memory of James. Respectfully and sadly Larry.
mightyohm
Hey fiid,

where are we meeting?

jeff
tiim5
I cannot meet at 9, daughter's soccer game, I will phone you Fiid around 10:30 to try and catch up with the group, I'll be coming from Menlo Park.
Felix, I doubt my daughter is going to make it, she is going with a friend after her soccer game. I may have an open seat if someone needs a ride after 10:00.
fiid
RENDEZVOUS DETAILS:

Here is the broad description of where we are meeting. Basically - you need to get yourself to 92. Eastbound from 101 (or further west), Westbound from the East Bay.

Here is a big picture of the area....
fiid
This parking lot is huge - so here is an exact location, along with a map of what you need to do to get there from 92 EASTBOUND (if you were coming from 101).

If you are coming from the eastbay, you just take this exit and join the yellow route.

The spot I have picked to meet at should be far enough away from the shopping center to not be a problem, and also should be within walking distance of a Starbucks incase anyone needs Caffeine.

jonwatts
Thanks Fiid. Any idea what two bldgs that driveway into the shopping center is between?

fiid
I know that one corner is BJs - I think the other is some Italian restaurant. It's not too hard to move along the lot if you take the wrong entrance.

Everyone: sorry for the delay in posting this - my life has been a little hectic of late... not really any excuse - but please accept my apologies.

Oh: and Jeff - thanks for the poke smile.gif poke.gif biggrin.gif

Midtowner
Fiid: Thank you for getting us togther for a fun and very emotional experience today! Click to view attachment

Midtowner
Gathering in San Mateo.Click to view attachment
Midtowner
Another pic.
Midtowner
Just arrived in Half Moon Bay. Didn't take any pictures of the drive over here because I was working very hard keeping up with Fiid!Click to view attachment
Midtowner
Inside the Pub.Click to view attachment
Midtowner
Felix and Anthony.Click to view attachment
Midtowner
Parting shot as I leave a bit early.Click to view attachment
Tobra
On Skyline, just getting started, that 2nd orange car was beautiful
Click to view attachment
Tobra
This is how we roll, Skyline
Click to view attachment
Tobra
Again on Skyline, looking back
Click to view attachment
Tobra
Stopped for construction, one lane
Click to view attachment
Tobra
Just before I split, following some moving words and a pretty decent lunch. That is Dave Darling's car in front, pretty clean, I wish I had his windshield.
Click to view attachment

Should have taken more pics, especially on the road, but for a lot of it I really was pretty busy driving. There were a few stretches on Alpine where I was sort of slideways, great fun. Ended up behind this old dude in like a '80 Chevy Cavalier wagon who must have really known that road well thumb3d.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Tobra @ Sep 24 2006, 06:52 AM) *

On Skyline, just getting started, that 2nd orange car was beautiful

That's Erik's car--he's "Midtowner" who posted the pictures above yours.

Agreed, it's a heck of a nice car!!

--DD
neo914-6
Here's some camera phone shots. huh.gif

Susan on the right. Ed (standing) on the left saying some kind words...
tiim5
Thanks Everyone for a wonderful event. Fiid, well done indeed, a great route, thanks Richard for leading the pack and displaying your love of G forces.

Felix your daughter is charming and patient, of course the Mueller twins are adorable, twin turbos in their future no doubt.

Jenny, David, Anthony and Patrick, and everyone else thanks for making it a memorable day.

Susan and James' family were very touched by the support of the club.

We raised a glass to James, I suggest we do the same at every gathering of the club.

Felix will memoralize Lapuwali on his Neo-914 which will be on display at SEMA.
The rear spoiler when it rises, will display a script "Lapuwali".

Thousands will see this car in person and print, when they ask about the name, James' memory will continue.

Thanks everyone for a great day.

Mueller
Nice little gathering...that one road was a little too narrow and windy for a big Volvo, but we managed without anyone getting car sick or smoking the brakes ..in fact the girls slept the entire time thru the twisties, I think we are going to have some drivers in the future driving-girl.gif driving-girl.gif

It was nice to meet Susan and family and Patrick , I just wish it was under more pleasant circumstances...it was/is an honor to have known James....

Patrick, thanks for sharing those early pictures of James when you guys rode motorbikes together...

ThinAir
The Red Rock Classic gang had a moment of silence in the parking lot last night at 9:14, then raised a glass in his memory. I'm glad you guys in CA were able to do something that his family could participate in. We've certainly lost one of the best with his passing.
jonwatts
It was really great to gather like that for one of our friends, meet his family and enjoy our shared passion for weird little cars.

I'm just about done loading the video onto my pc and will hopefully have a video or two edited together "real soon now".

Jon
mightyohm
Thanks to fiid for planning a great route, and it was a pleasure meeting Susan and James' respective families. Thanks to tiim5 for the great speech. I think James would be very impressed that we got everyone out to do an actual DRIVE, something he always wanted to do after the breakfasts!
mightyohm
warp speed!
mightyohm
Trying to keep up with Anthony Sino's 2 liter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.