Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Montebello (Lapuwali) Memorial
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tiim5
A memorial for James will be held on Saturday, Sept. 23, 06.

The day will start with meeting up at 9:14 a.m. probably in Foster City.

Fiid is planning a route for a drive from there up Hwy. 92 to Skyline Blvd. and some of the wonderful, peaceful, twisty roads in the area finishing with a drive down the coast on Hwy. 1

We will end up in Half Moon Bay, at a Pub for lunch.

Susan and members of James' family, including his father will be at the Pub to meet and thank Club members for their kind thoughts and support.

Susan had graciously offered to host the lunch, Fiid and I are of the opinion Club members will pick up the tab.

Please Save the date...Additional Details will follow shortly.

Susan said she wished James' car was in driving condition, she would have loved to drive it with us, she is a real trooper.

Here is the route Fiid has planned:

We will meet at the Bridgepoint Shopping center at 9:14 am, leave 10:00 am

• Leave Bridgepoint shopping center and turn left onto Fashion Island Blvd (which is the same as Bridgepointe Pkwy). Turn left again onto Route 92 WEST.

• Stay on RT 92 WEST for 8.5miles (straight under Interstate 280).

• Turn left on Highway 35 (Skyline Blvd). Proceed south on Skyline for about 19 miles.

• Turn Right onto Alpine Road. Follow Alpine road for about 6.5 miles.

• Turn left on Pescadero Road. Follow Pescadero for about 12 miles.

• Turn right on Stage Road. (Alternative route: if you’re tired of twisties at this point – feel free to go straight here until you reach the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) and then proceed north to Lunch at Cameron’s Inn. It will be around 16 miles North from here.

• Follow Stage Rd. for about 8 miles until you arrive at the Pacific Coast Hwy (Hwy 1).

• Turn right on the PCH, and continue North for about 8 miles.

• EXTRA CREDIT: Take a right on Purisima Creek Road. Follow it all the way around the top, and back down again. It will turn into Higgins Canyon Rd and bring you back down to the PCH. Take a left on the PCH and you should see Cameron’s on the right. This will add about 8 extra miles to the route….

• Turn left into Cameron’s Restaurant and Inn.
So.Cal.914
I am sorry, I would like to be there but life does not permit a trip that far. This

is a very nice thing for you all to do and I am sure the family apprecates it.
JeffBowlsby
Ed, do you have any idea what needs to be done to James' car?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tiim5 @ Sep 10 2006, 11:36 AM) *

A memorial for James will be held on Saturday, Sept. 23, 06.

headbang.gif i'll be at the Red Rocks Classic that weekend ...

wish i could be there ...
sad.gif Andy
tiim5
Jeff, I don't know, I will ask her about it. I am thinking it may be something that will be too much for her to deal with. I had thought of finding someone with a trailer, loading the car, and driving it to the pub where it would be when we all arrived.
This may be too much but I'll inquire.

Thanks for the tip on editing.
MoveQik
Since a lot of us will be at RRC, perhaps we can put something on our cars or dedicate a run in honor of James. Seems appropriate.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 10 2006, 11:40 AM) *

Since a lot of us will be at RRC, perhaps we can put something on our cars or dedicate a run in honor of James. Seems appropriate.

How aboaut a ribbon or something along those lines? I think that would be a great idea. We could wear Hawaiian / Floral print shirt? (matches the Hawaiian screen name?) Just a thought.
jonwatts
I've set the day aside and hopefully will be driving an appropriate vehicle (our 2002).

Jon

richardL
Is this a 914club event, or are the other related groups (minis?) also participating.

I'll be there.

R
Tobra
Some of his Fiat crew will probably want to attend
StratPlayer
Will be at the RRC, I plan on tieing a black ribbon on my antenna for a memorial for James.
PORobinSCHE
hello, i believe the Florida group is having a breakfast meet that morning. i am sure we will have a moment of silence for him!
never met him,but i can see by kind words and deeds, he was truly a great person.

Robin
Dr Evil
I wish I could be there. Drive safe.
fiid
icon_bump.gif

Hey all, This should be a go. I'm waiting for info from the Pub in Half Moon Bay, but here is a draft of the route. Let me know what you think! I haven't actually personally driven all of these roads, so I'd love to know what y'all think!

The plan is to meet at Bridgepointe Shopping center at 9:14 and leave at 10:00.

Could someone forward the info to the Fiat list?

As for a commemorative decal - The best idea I have is a Rally decal like the monte carlo rally ones - but with the text "RALLYE MONTEBELLO" and maybe a 914 sillouette at the top.... I tried to get a design together but found myself severly lacking in both time and skills....

We're going to have another baby tomorrow (literally!) so I'm going to be out of it for a few days.

Thanks!

Fiid.

• Leave Bridgepoint shopping center and turn left onto Fashion Island Blvd (which is the same as Bridgepointe Pkwy). Turn left again onto Route 92 WEST.

• Stay on RT 92 WEST for 8.5miles (straight under Interstate 280).

• Turn left on Highway 35 (Skyline Blvd). Proceed south on Skyline for about 19 miles.

• Turn Right onto Alpine Road. Follow Alpine road for about 6.5 miles.

• Turn left on Pescadero Road. Follow Pescadero for about 12 miles.

• Turn right on Stage Road. (Alternative route: if you’re tired of twisties at this point – feel free to go straight here until you reach the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) and then proceed north to Lunch at Cameron’s Inn. It will be around 16 miles North from here.

• Follow Stage Rd. for about 8 miles until you arrive at the Pacific Coast Hwy (Hwy 1).

• Turn right on the PCH, and continue North for about 8 miles.

• EXTRA CREDIT: Take a right on Purisima Creek Road. Follow it all the way around the top, and back down again. It will turn into Higgins Canyon Rd and bring you back down to the PCH. Take a left on the PCH and you should see Cameron’s on the right. This will add about 8 extra miles to the route….

• Turn left into Cameron’s Restaurant and Inn.
fiid
RSVP

If you are planning to attend - it would be great if you could add a note here saying you're going to attend along with a number of cars and a number of people - just so we have a ball-park on the size. smile.gif

Thanks much!

Fiid.
RoadGlue
Thanks for putting this together. Sylvie and I wish we could be there, but we're going to be at a wedding near Yosemite that weekend.
MartyYeoman
I've been waiting for a memorial thread like this to surface.
However, the given date is a no-go for me. I'll be in Oregon
that weekend. The drive looks great, I really wanted to participate.
fiid
icon_bump.gif

I'm bummed you guys can't make it. I am hoping to do more runs with the breakfasts in future tho. I'm going to do my best to step up and keep the breakfasts/lunches happening every month, so hopefully see you guys in October....
SusanR

Thank you to Ed and Fiid for your work on getting this memorial together. Truly, the outpouring on this board has been astonishing and enormously touching. I'm glad to know that James was so affectionately known here. It is a great comfort to me and to his parents that he touched so many lives.

I am sorry that the date conflicts for so many people. The date was picked for a variety of reasons and it was the best we could do.

I hope I'm not stepping on the good work of Fiid and Ed when I say that Mini and FIAT people are more than welcome. Please do join us for a drive and raise a glass for a dear, departed friend. I can't think of a better way to celebrate his life.

Thanks,
S
TROJANMAN
We will have a toast to James at 9:14 that evening in Moab beerchug.gif
SusanR

BTW, could you forward me any pictures you have of James? He was notoriously camera-shy and we (his wife and family) would welcome any that are available.

As I was cleaning out his office, I ran across a couple of photos I took of him in his old 914-6, perhaps 7 years ago. I'll bring those along to the memorial as well.

Thanks,
S
SirAndy
QUOTE(SusanR @ Sep 11 2006, 05:42 PM) *

BTW, could you forward me any pictures you have of James? He was notoriously camera-shy and we (his wife and family) would welcome any that are available.

hi susan, here are a few i took at the 914club breakfast in emeryville on march 25th this year ...

sorry i can't make the memorial ... sad.gif
but as gregor said, we'll have our own little memorial that same evening at the RRC in moab!

for those of you who don't know james, he's the guy in the red shirt.

Click to view attachment

one more ...

Click to view attachment

mone more ...

Click to view attachment

everyone looking at one of his "other" cars ...

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif Andy
Midtowner
Taken in August, 2005 (I think).
jonwatts
I plan on attending either in my 2002 (slow so I'll be hanging back with the Fiat folks) or my truck as a Support Utility Vehicle.

Anyone who can't make it will be missed, but I hope to have some kind of event every year around this time to remember James. Maybe a fun run or (perhaps more fitting) a day wrenching on a car needing some attention.

Jon

Trevorg7
I am sorry to miss this gathering. I will be traveling with my daughters soccer team.

Next time.

T
jimtab
I'll be there. Don't know if Lyn will be up for the drive....good choice on the roads..an alternate to Alpine to Pescadero would be Hwy 84 down to Stage road if you want a shorter route, then Stage N. to Hwy 1 (only about 1/2 mi.) Good choice on the pub too. The only other one I would have considered would have been the Brewpub at Princeton harbor....mmmmm Mavericks ale....I had some pics of James but a big worm ate my computer and I don't think I can recover them....a shame. Since I'm here on the coast, if you need help to set this up or anything I'd be glad to do what I can....In the spirit of James.
Dave_Darling
Pic of James and his white 914. The shadows are a bit much, sadly...

Click to view attachment

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 12 2006, 07:47 AM) *

The shadows are a bit much, sadly...

nothing a little bit of photoshop can't fix ...

bondo
I'm bummed that I can't make it. I do promise to eventually make it to at least one of the bay area breakfasts though. I wish I was closer!

beerchug.gif To James!
mightyohm
I am planning on being there. Thanks for putting this together!!

neo914-6
I can't commit to participating yet but I will have [LAPUWALI] printed "somewhere" on neo914-6 for it's debut...

Here's James at John Kelly's metalshaping workshop and helping load an engine for Mikeys914

DNHunt
As much as I'd like to be there I can't. I considered flying down but, that just won't work. Instead I'm going to read some of James' blog and have James in my thoughts and prayers.

Dave
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 11 2006, 03:17 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

I'm bummed you guys can't make it. I am hoping to do more runs with the breakfasts in future tho. I'm going to do my best to step up and keep the breakfasts/lunches happening every month, so hopefully see you guys in October....

Thanks, Fiid!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
if I find a sitter i'll go on the drive, otherwise i'll meet up with you guys at the pub with my twins in tow, hope nobody minds smile.gif
fiid
QUOTE(SusanR @ Sep 11 2006, 04:42 PM) *

Thank you to Ed and Fiid for your work on getting this memorial together. Truly, the outpouring on this board has been astonishing and enormously touching. I'm glad to know that James was so affectionately known here. It is a great comfort to me and to his parents that he touched so many lives.

Welcome to the forum / club!!
No problems at all. James was always very kind, and knowledgable; a real role model. This is the least we can do!

I hope I'm not stepping on the good work of Fiid and Ed when I say that Mini and FIAT people are more than welcome. Please do join us for a drive and raise a glass for a dear, departed friend. I can't think of a better way to celebrate his life.

Not at all - I sent a message to Randy to ensure the message gets over to the Fiat list. I don't know anyone on the mini side (anyone??). Would it be okay if I forwarded these details over to the California Melee list (where the Alpine500 folks hang out) as well???

RoadGlue
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 12 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Not at all - I sent a message to Randy to ensure the message gets over to the Fiat list.

I sent a message off to the Bay Area Running of the Fiats (BARF) group that James was subscribed to and where his friend Patrick still participates.

Wish I could attend the memorial drive. Thanks to all those that have put this together.
SusanR
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 12 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Not at all - I sent a message to Randy to ensure the message gets over to the Fiat list. I don't know anyone on the mini side (anyone??). Would it be okay if I forwarded these details over to the California Melee list (where the Alpine500 folks hang out) as well???

Of course. Please feel free to spread the word to anyone you think might be interested or want to join.

I'll try to find the mini list. I haven't been able to bring myself to look at his computer yet.

Thanks again to everyone,
S
richardL
I'll be there. Maybe have Marie with me (especially if Mike brings the twins smile.gif )

Richard
jimtab
QUOTE(richardL @ Sep 12 2006, 03:51 PM) *

I'll be there. Maybe have Marie with me (especially if Mike brings the twins smile.gif )

Richard

Unless it looks like rain, I'll bring the lid we've been trying to get into your hands. Jim
GTeener
Booh. I can't be there. It's Rosh Hashanah on Saturday. I'll put in a good word for James though thumb3d.gif

I still think the club should have a remembrance pin like every other cause in this country.

Here's a design proposal (rough).
Eric_Shea
I like the design... can we get something like this in time for the drive and RRC? How about a magnetic version for the cars?

Can we put the number 24 on the car? "working on car no. 24"

Could be as simple as a vent window sticker of a car with the number 24... we all know what it means.

icon_bump.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 13 2006, 11:22 AM) *

I like the design... can we get something like this in time for the drive and RRC? How about a magnetic version for the cars?

Can we put the number 24 on the car? "working on car no. 24"

Could be as simple as a vent window sticker of a car with the number 24... we all know what it means.

icon_bump.gif

Sean? Jeron? Official club artists?

Money raised can go to the family of the dearly departed.

Let's do it ya'll!
redshift
QUOTE(GTeener @ Sep 12 2006, 07:42 PM) *

I still think the club should have a remembrance pin like every other cause in this country.

Here's a design proposal (rough).

Nicely done, and agreed.

The things James said often went over my head, because hey, I'm dumb.

He will be sorely missed. I hope he enjoyed our company.

Miles
Jeroen
If you can find someone to produce them within the timeframe, I'd be honored to come up with a design

We can do something in vinyl

I'm not sure if MikeZ could ship them in time, so we may have to look for 2 local signshops (one in no-cal and one close to the RRC)

Can someone please explain "car 24"
GTeener
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 14 2006, 02:15 PM) *

If you can find someone to produce them within the timeframe, I'd be honored to come up with a design

We can do something in vinyl

I'm not sure if MikeZ could ship them in time, so we may have to look for 2 local signshops (one in no-cal and one close to the RRC)

Mike Z & Sean are the club vinyl artwork guys aren't they?

I did a quick Web search on custom lapel pins and these guys promise 5-10 day turnaround.
http://www.lapelpinproductions.com/index.html

Toll Free Hotline: 1-800-252-0904
info@lapelpinproductions.com

Seemed to be a lot of companies out there that do this kind of work.
Jenny
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 14 2006, 02:15 PM) *

I think in James' signature, he had listed that he was working on car #24, as in it was his 24th project car.

Jen
GTeener
James with G TEENER
Jeroen
Yes, Mike and Sean are the vinyl guys
But Sean joined the circus and is leaving tomorrow IIRC
Mike would have to ship and I don't know if that would be a problem
A local vinyl shop could whip these out in the blink of an eye and there would be zero shipping hassles (read: risc of them arriving too late)

The lapelpins are nice, but it would be even harder to still do these in time
GTeener
nuther
GTeener
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *

But Sean joined the circus and is leaving tomorrow IIRC

Wow! ohmy.gif that's a career change...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.