Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about stock HEs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
exhaust is apart , looking at my stock HEs and where they are welded to pipes all welds are basically broken and they rattle a bit ( never notice it when they are on car) question is because they are VERY heavy, would i really need the HEs on the car? i know i hate not having any heat in winter, as well as no defroster to clear windows, but i was thinking of taking the HEs to work, cutting off all the exchanger tubing , and just running the pipes without them for now. i could also just re-weld them, but i was curious to know if anyone had re-fabbed HEs using aluminum for its light weight , welder/fab by trade so wouldnt be that hard for me to do, and then id have to fab a way to attach them, but weight savings would be nice , and i doubt they would melt . I know SS is way everyone suggests but i REALLY dont like the heaviness of the stock type HEs.
TROJANMAN
what year is your car?
75-76 HE's are super heavy
the ssi's i have are not too heavy
sounds like you need some headers
Mueller
I doubt you will save much weight by removing the sheetmetal, the tubes are where all weight is.

the SSIs are lighter since with stainless you can use a thinner gauge material yet still have an exhaust that will last.
lincoln
car is a 74 , was a thought , seems like the HEs part weighs a LOT more than the actual muffler part and that was with monza style exhausts , i thought originally it was the muffler part that weighed so damn much but having taken that part off i noticed how heavy the HE parts are

was thinking that i could fab alum box HE boxes kinda like tangerine has for the /6s only out of luminum and attach them sort of like M/C mufflers do on my Suzuki Marauder - that is using mesh,sealing screen tape stuff and some serious clamping clamps for a good seal
Mueller
oh yea, i'm pretty sure the heat shields should NOT be welded directly to the tubes

you want some float for thermal expansion
JPB
Aluminium and steel don't mix and will make your pipes rust fast where the two touch. HEs are sold all day on ebay and steel ones are extra sheep. You might find some from a member if you post a wanted add also.

beer.gif Save a teener, get a winter beater.
lincoln
[quote name='JPB' date='Sep 12 2006, 03:57 PM' post='770078']
Aluminium and steel don't mix and will make your pipes rust fast where the two touch. HEs are sold all day on ebay and steel ones are extra sheep. You might find some from a member if you post a wanted add also.

yea i know bout alum/steel and the rust thing- what i was thinking tho was using a ceramic clay type seal to alum to steel . the rust thing only happens where the 2 meet - we used to use foam tape as a gasket on bottom dump trailers at 1 Co. i used to work for just for that purpose.

anyways, while apart i found several holes in the monza type exhaust, so i made new mufflers using some real sweet chrome mufflers that used to be on my bike. fit right on the exhaust pipes where the monzas used to be, starting at bout 1 1/2 in int and exiting with bout 3 using stock modified baffles ( from Suzuki ) plus are nice chrome . fits well just under rear valance , altho the right side needs a slight tweak cuz its hanging a bit lower and out of square with the car and left muffler. also i added a port in each muffler to accomodate air/fuel meters or for ?

sound is nice, not too loud, better than monzas did, cept when i lift foot off the gas, then they just sound mean smile.gif

ill try to find my camera and see if i can get some pics- warning tho- is a very low res cam so pics wont be the greatest.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(lincoln @ Sep 12 2006, 05:39 PM) *

...alum box HE boxes kinda like tangerine has for the /6s only out of luminum...

Tangerine Racing Headers are for Type 4 engines, ie. 914-4.

BTW, keeping the exhaust from both sides of the engine separate is bad for performance. All 4 primary pipes should merge before going into the muffler.
lincoln
piping isnt seperated- HEs bolted to the leftover piping from monza type , only i flipped the brackets to tuck the naked pipe up inside valance, and in place where the monza muffler/holes were i welded on the chrome muffs. doesnt hang lower than it used to just now the exit is beneath the valance and the cromes show beneath the valance , in truth they SHOULD be out-turned and down a bit , as right now the exit striaght , kinda like a T , with top of T being the LOS along the lines of the mufflers, and they could use being about 3 inches longer each ( mufflers). wasnt sure on the tangerines, good to know they are for a /4

thanks for heads up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.