Full Version: what seam sealer to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
what seam sealer should i use??

LOCTITE 574 or whatever else?

thanks
-shag
VaccaRabite
I got the stuff that eastwood sells, and it went on really well.

Get the Eastwood catalogue, if you are restoring a car, it is required reading. Even if it is to just give you ideas on how to fix stuff, without actually buying stuff from them.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Zach
Rand
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I HATE seam sealer. In many cases it creates more rot problems than it solves. Yes, it can be done well, but I still say most of it is from the devil. I've had nightmares about removing that crap. I would much rather deal with rust removal, Ospho, <insert your favorite rust killer / preventer / yada here> and a quality rust protective paint (Por15, Hammerite, etc.). Yes, the prep and treatment is critical for a quality result, but man I'm glad to have NO seam sealer. smile.gif
shaggy
oh...sorry i should have been more specific. im talking about seam sealer for a 2.0L engine...

sorry...

-jim
Rand
Hey Jim. Sorry if I went off on a tangent. Where exactly are you wanting to use seam sealer on your 2.0 engine?
shaggy
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 12 2006, 10:50 PM) *

Hey Jim. Sorry if I went off on a tangent. Where exactly are you wanting to use seam sealer on your 2.0 engine?

everywhere that needs it biggrin.gif

case halves
pushrod seals
jugs
cam plug
main seals
intake runner gaskets
exuahst rings(<- not sure about that one)

i think thats all...
please let me know if im missing something

-jim
MoveQik
Just tell your dad to get off his lazy arse and handle it. biggrin.gif

:duckandrunforcoversmilie:

poke.gif
Rand
Dude, sorry for the semantic confusion. But when I heard "seam sealer" I was thinking of the more common seam sealer used between body panels.

You are talking engine parts, which is a different matter. And now let us address a whole new series of opinions! laugh.gif

Ok, some of my opinions on this...

Pushrod tube seals: Loctite 565 flexible sealant. Rotate the tubes and let them set. I think Jake will back this.

Case halves and jugs? Not sure you need chemical junk there, but I will defer to the engine gurus on those.

Intake runner gaskets? Nothing crazy needed there. I used a cheap solution: Radiator hose pieces that match the dimensions. They are nice and tight. The purists will insist on cloth-covered pieces.

Exhuast rings? If you mean the copper gaskets between the heads and headers/exhuaust pipes/manifolds, then just get them from a local VW supplier. Cost is not an issue.

Best of luck!
shaggy
LOL laugh.gif

but if he did that id never learn it...
+ its unwise to piss off your financier
++ he owns the car

-jim
MoveQik
QUOTE(shaggy @ Sep 12 2006, 11:41 PM) *

LOL laugh.gif

but if he did that id never learn it...
+ its unwise to piss off your financier
++ he owns the car

-jim

jim - you are wise beyond your years. I look forward to meeting you soon!

MW
shaggy
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 12 2006, 11:40 PM) *

Dude, sorry for the semantic confusion. But when I heard "seam sealer" I was thinking of the more common seam sealer used between body panels.

You are talking engine parts, which is a different matter. And now let us address a whole new series of opinions! laugh.gif

Ok, some of my opinions on this...

Pushrod tube seals: Loctite 565 flexible sealant. Rotate the tubes and let them set. I think Jake will back this.

Case halves and jugs? Not sure you need chemical junk there, but I will defer to the engine gurus on those.

Intake runner gaskets? Nothing crazy needed there. I used a cheap solution: Radiator hose pieces that match the dimensions. They are nice and tight. The purists will insist on cloth-covered pieces.

Exhuast rings? If you mean the copper gaskets between the heads and headers/exhuaust pipes/manifolds, then just get them from a local VW supplier. Cost is not an issue.

Best of luck!

ok so for push tubes i need a flexible sealer huh?

i heard that the 6-ers use loctite 574 for the case

for the intake runners i mean where the runner meets the intake port of the head.

i didnt think the exhaust needed sealer, but i had to check, over the course of buying parts for the rebuild i have accumulated 2 sets of copper exhaust gaskets.

thanks for the response
-jim
Rand
Yes, pushrod tubes, loctite 565 flexible sealant, has Jake's approval.

Again, I don't know about the case. Looking forward to learning from this.

Intake runners to me are the air tubes. If you mean the phenolic blocks, then I look forward to more input from the gurus. My take is they have paper-like gasket material on each side and do NOT need any kind of sealant. If Jake or some other guru pipes in and recommends a sealant then I will be schooled. Otherwise, just clean the surfaces and bolt it up.

The copper exhaust gaskets between the heads and exhaust pipes/headers... just make sure you have only one set (sounds dumb, but many people have dealt with extras in there). No sealant needed there. Just clean and unmolested surfaces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.