Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanna know what a 901 tranny looks like mounted to a WRX motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fat73
piratenanner.gif Oh man it's sexy.

Cropped so proprietary motor mount now shown. biggrin.gif

Engine is together, and ready to go in the car. Just gotta get the car jacked up high enough.

ed aka fat73 and soon to be W9R1
IPB Image
lagunero
Nice!
Maltese Falcon
Fat, is the OE tubo mounting canted like that ? My experiences with mounting turbos nixes anything but a straight axis mounting of the unit. The problem is seal failure at the cartridge (fan assys/ axle)) . The seals being of the ceramic, o-ring or carbon ring seal...within a short time will not be able to control the oil and start consuming it in the compressor and /or turbine housings.
Check it out.
Other than that , it's SEXY !
marty
fat73
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 12 2006, 11:22 PM) *

Fat, is the OE tubo mounting canted like that ? My experiences with mounting turbos nixes anything but a straight axis mounting of the unit. The problem is seal failure at the cartridge (fan assys/ axle)) . The seals being of the ceramic, o-ring or carbon ring seal...within a short time will not be able to control the oil and start consuming it in the compressor and /or turbine housings.
Check it out.
marty

I believe it is some. This is a Renegade mod to move the turbo down just a hair for clearance. I'll have to check my 06 Forester.

Dana...if you're out there and see this post, do you have a comment?

By the way....another pic
IPB Image
Amenson
When I was researching my conversion I found that the Suby turbo was not to be inclined greater than +- 10%. It would have made my turbo placement much easier w/o that constraint.

Scott
plymouth37
QUOTE(fat73 @ Sep 12 2006, 11:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 12 2006, 11:22 PM) *

Check it out.
marty

I believe it is some. This is a Renegade mod to move the turbo down just a hair for clearance. I'll have to check my 06 Forester.

Dana...if you're out there and see this post, do you have a comment?

By the way....another pic
IPB Image

mine is mounted like that and has been in my daily driver for over a year, no smoke, no oil leaks, 16.5 pounds o' boost.
if you want your turbo to be straight start cutting your rear trunk! sawzall-smiley.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
There are a couple o' ways to seal the turbo and I believe it's the type of seal and the amount of vacuum placed on it that determines whether it'll leak or not (from what I've read).
smdubovsky
When running, the thrust from the turbines are far greater than the mass of the assembly * gravity. I don't think "horizontal only" placement was mentioned in the corky bell book at all. Would think it wouldn't really make a difference - but I've been known to be wrong. Once;) Bell mentions too much oil pressure or vacuum @ the turbines (which causes the same pressure differential as too much oil pressure) can cause oil to go past the seals.

SMD
Crazyhippy
Add me to the no problems thus far group...

And it's still not subject to as much pressure sitting as it is Under hard acceleration... 1G of acc would be the same as the turbo sitting @ 45* static.

BJH
fat73
Progress... piratenanner.gif

Boy you've gotta really jack the car up high to get this in there.

Ed aka fat73 and almost W9R1
IPB Image
mrdezyne
very nice! Congrats!
JPB
Wow, tight fit for shure. Looks crazy clean!

beer.gif MMMMmmme likes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.