Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renn Shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
knilfer
does anyone have any pics of a Renn Shift installed with the center console? i've found pictures of the shifter installed without a console, but none with. i'm just trying to make sure that it can be done.

also, is there a quick visual inspection i can make to ensure i have a side shift rather than a tail shift? the only verification i could find is to lift the vehicle and look for the protective plastic casing on the side of the transmission [to ensure it's a side shift].

thanks in advance.

jonathan
bd1308
tail shift will literally have a shaft coming out of the back of the tranny, right?
DanT
If your car is a 73 it ought to be a side shifter....

Unless some stupid PO back dated it to a tail shifter.
anthony
QUOTE(knilfer @ Sep 13 2006, 08:40 PM) *

does anyone have any pics of a Renn Shift installed with the center console? i've found pictures of the shifter installed without a console, but none with. i'm just trying to make sure that it can be done.

I'd guess that you have to enlarge the hole that the shifter comes though. Rather than modifying a stock console piece it would probably make sense just to make a new one out of wood with the enlarged hole and cover it in matching vinyl.
So.Cal.914
The shifter mech's are different, the side shift IIRC has a hole on top at the rear

to access set screw.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 13 2006, 09:20 PM) *

I'd guess that you have to enlarge the hole that the shifter comes though.

yes, the hole in the bottom piece has to be enlarged ...

sawzall-smiley.gif Andy
knilfer
this board is awesome! thanks all for the information so far. i'll check out my tranny tomorrow and will keep checking back for pix too.

jonathan
double-a
search for a post by craig laughlin on the subject, i believe he detailed the console modification in a posting sometime back.

~a
Dave_Darling
A couple of pics for you:

The tail-cover of a tail-shift transmission, viewed as if from the back of the car. You can clearly see where the linkage attaches, at the lower-left of the part:
Click to view attachment

The back of a side-shift transmission, viewed from a slightly higher angle than the above pic:
Click to view attachment

The linkage of the TS trans goes into the tail cover. The linkage of the SS trans goes into the side of the transmission case.

--DD
736conver
QUOTE(knilfer @ Sep 13 2006, 10:40 PM) *

also, is there a quick visual inspection i can make to ensure i have a side shift rather than a tail shift? the only verification i could find is to lift the vehicle and look for the protective plastic casing on the side of the transmission [to ensure it's a side shift].

thanks in advance.

jonathan

CHeck out my post awhile back that has a step by step.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...hl=renn+shifter
Stuie

[/quote]

CHeck out my post awhile back that has a step by step.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...hl=renn+shifter
[/quote]

Does the shifter improve the shifting drastically?
double-a
improved shifting is a function of many things: good bushings, shifter adjustment, condition of tranny, the driver, etc.

but lay the oem shifter next to a rennshift and you'll quickly have an idea which one "might" be more fun to use. there are many threads detailing the quality and craftsmanship of the rennshift. i have one (gen 2) and it's great.

~a
knilfer
thanks for posting the pics of the housing. i will use those for final determination.

jonathan
xitspd
Yes, sorry for this under construction pic...

Dan
736conver
Click to view attachment
736conver
Click to view attachment
736conver
Click to view attachment
736conver
Click to view attachment
736conver
Click to view attachment
GTeener
It's not a good close-up, but basically it's just carpeted in the center console. I have the padded top, but it doesn't fit and I haven't had it enlarged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.