Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tricks to getting glove BOX mounted?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
I've got the vinyl trim glued in place on the glove box lid and every thing is ready to be installed. I have some metal strapping (exhaust hanger straping?) in place to hold the box once it's installed (car didn't come w/it). In test fitting the box, however, the door keeps hitting it somewhere and thus the door can't open all the way OR the box sits too far down into the footwell. It seems that the right door spring mount is striking the top of the box but since I can't shrink down to 1" and witness the obstruction from inside the dash I'm just taking an educated guess (I'm beginning to run out of those Educated Guess cards I got from college...gonna have to order some more).

Any tricks to mounting the box and door? Oh, my glove box lock does work. That's the only good news with the box.
SirAndy
ok, here's a few tips, might not help'ya, but ...

1) mount the door first!
make sure both springs are in place and tighten down the chrome screws.

2) get the metal strap to stay in place on the pass. side.
it's just fiddled through a slit and bent down. keep the other end hanging for now.

3) make sure the box is not warped. they tend to warp on the bottom and top front lip. (which is where the door could hit on yours).

4) slide box in from under the dash. do this while the door is OPEN. make sure the box goes BEHIND the door hinges on both sides. it has indents that should line up with the hinges.
hold box with hand and test door movement.

5) put the strap around it and secure with 8mm nut.

voila!
Andy
madd_dogg_914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2003, 02:49 PM)

1) mount the door first!

it's just fiddled through a slit and bent down. keep the other end hanging for now.

3) make sure the box is not warped. they tend to warp on the bottom and top front lip. (which is where the door could hit on yours).

4) slide box in from under the dash. do this while the door is OPEN. make sure the box goes BEHIND the door hinges on both sides. it has indents that should line up with the hinges.

voila!
Andy

What he said. agree.gif

-Chris
Air_Cooled_Nut
There were two holes in the forward fire wall and two holes at the base of the opening of the glove box door. Looks like the box was supported by two straps, running from the forward firewall, under the box, and to the glove box. I looked at the box itself and noticed an impression on the lower sides of it, looking like a strap went parallel to the box back/bottom. Peering into the glove box door area I saw a sloted tab of metal and on the opposite side I saw a threaded stud *ping!* I instantly knew how the box was supposed to be installed and then SirAndy confirmed it.

The exhaust strapping is a PERFECT fit and I'm in the process now of fitting/installing.

Thanks SirAndy beerchug.gif

[edit]The forward firewall holes look like they were drilled. Prolly PO work[/edit]
watsonrx13
Well, I'm trying to reinstall the glove box. I've followed Andy's steps, but it won't fit into place from underneath the dash.... It appears to be too tall... Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong....

BTW, the search feature does work.... biggrin.gif

-- Rob

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2003, 06:49 PM) *

1) mount the door first!

voila!
Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 19 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Well, I'm trying to reinstall the glove box. I've followed Andy's steps, but it won't fit into place from underneath the dash.... It appears to be too tall... Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong....

you got the right box? they are different between the years ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
On a related note:

Warped boxes can be straightened by soaking with water and holding them flat while they dry (books, metal, etc). Works great!
watsonrx13
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2007, 07:46 PM) *

bye1.gif Andy

I didn't know that... blink.gif I've got 3-4 boxes, I'll try different ones.... biggrin.gif

-- Rob
Jeffs9146
You could have it upside down!? confused24.gif

jim_hoyland
I just went through this and I followed Andy's instructions. The fit is tight and doesn't easily go up and in. I ended up cutting 3/8" off the entire fron of the glove box. Then I put the strap back on and made sure the door opened and closed without touching the box. Kept tightening and testing until it was in tight.

No question...it can be challenging. I spent the entire day reinstalling the lock, the box, and getting the lock to work properly.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 19 2007, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2007, 07:46 PM) *

bye1.gif Andy

I didn't know that... blink.gif I've got 3-4 boxes, I'll try different ones.... biggrin.gif

-- Rob

The early cars without the dash vents had a wider (left to right) glove box. What year is your car? From all the parts cars I have taken apart, that is the only difference I know of.
watsonrx13
Mine is a '74... I take some pics today and post later....

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Success.... beerchug.gif

I was able to finally get the box into position.... Since I had so much problems with it yesterday, I decided to remove the door and dry fit the box. I found that the key to inserting it was to have the door aligned, the springs in place and the door CLOSED. I pushed the right corner in first, then carefully compressed the lower left corner. You'll notice a slight depression in the lower left corner of the box to allow it to clear the bottom section of the metal dash, underneath the radio.... After the box was in, as Andy mentioned, the box goes on the outside of the hinges/springs. Then I just stretched the strap until the hole fit over the driver's side bolt....

Thanks again and here's some pics that might help.... Door is removed for pictures only....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.