Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
Kudos to all you Porsche 4 cyl to 6 cyl converts .

I just read a Pano article on what is involved.

Holy Crap.

It is certainly something you do not want to take lightly!!!!!

What about those "Turn-Key" coversions they advertize in Excellence mag. Anyone have info on one of those??

Cheers,

smiley_notworthy.gif
brant
QUOTE(aveale @ Sep 20 2006, 12:34 PM) *

Kudos to all you Porsche 4 cyl to 6 cyl converts .

I just read a Pano article on what is involved.

Holy Crap.

It is certainly something you do not want to take lightly!!!!!

What about those "Turn-Key" coversions they advertize in Excellence mag. Anyone have info on one of those??

Cheers,

smiley_notworthy.gif

run a search for that company and form your own opinion about them.
brant
drgchapman
Turn-key, yeah right.

I bought a 1970 914 roller that had already had a carbed 3.2 in and out of it. I put in a 3.2 Motronic from an 86 Carrera. Crazy thing is, the motor and tranny just bolt right in, but it pretty much stops there. Wiring was not easy, all linkages needed to be fabbed. I would recommend a remote oil cooler in addition to the one on the engine.

I went with the 915-WEVO conversion, mucho $$$. Car is a blast to drive. I really enjoy the a/x's. My quandry now is, do I leave it a narrow body sleeper, or go big and put on the GT flares and 8" and 9" Fuchs sitting in the garage.

A fellow dentist (orthodontist) and nice guy as well.
MoveQik
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Sep 20 2006, 12:32 PM) *

I went with the 915-WEVO conversion, mucho $$$. Car is a blast to drive. I really enjoy the a/x's. My quandry now is, do I leave it a narrow body sleeper, or go big and put on the GT flares and 8" and 9" Fuchs sitting in the garage.

I say leave it narrow. I might be biased however. happy11.gif

I saw your car at WCC. It looks amazing as is.
914turboford
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 20 2006, 11:44 AM) *

I say leave it narrow. I might be biased however. happy11.gif

I saw your car at WCC. It looks amazing as is.

I say make it wide. Stock is boring.
aveale
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Sep 20 2006, 11:32 AM) *

Turn-key, yeah right.

I bought a 1970 914 roller that had already had a carbed 3.2 in and out of it. I put in a 3.2 Motronic from an 86 Carrera. Crazy thing is, the motor and tranny just bolt right in, but it pretty much stops there. Wiring was not easy, all linkages needed to be fabbed. I would recommend a remote oil cooler in addition to the one on the engine.

So your car had a 3.2 in it, so it was "good to go" for your 86 Carrera engine - or did you have to start from scratch again.....

T
So.Cal.914
That much power is great but if you can't use it when you want to what is the use

of having it. WIDE.....
Heeltoe914
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif confused24.gif
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 20 2006, 02:07 PM) *

That much power is great but if you can't use it when you want to what is the use

of having it. WIDE.....

michel richard
And wide cars look lower (which is Guuuuud), especially from the back, which is where you want other cars to be, in any event. So, it all meshes.

This is an area where what's good for teeners is not necessarily good for women, think about it.

From a non-dentist, perhaps still a good guy.

Michel
J P Stein

Turn-key, yeah right.

You need more tiar if you wanna catch me....now that I fingered out MY tiar problem, you're toast burnout.gif

Aveale(if that's your real name biggrin.gif )

Go buy one that is already done. They go for about 50 cents on the dollar of the builders investment....or since you're a dentist, just fork over large bundles of cash to your favorite shop like Gary did. laugh.gif
drgchapman
Dude, I think yuour thread was hijacked................. hijacked.gif

it wasn't me
JPB
Conversions are what they are and are as painless as the money you dish out to get it done. You pay to play or no money and no funny.

beer.gif Word to the wise, go FI if at all possible and HP is like money; its always nice to have some extra for one of those...ya know ...crazy days!!!
GeorgeRud
If you enjoy working on cars and getting your hands dirty, go for your own conversion. It is very satisfying and fun to solve the inevitable problems and glitches that come up.

The only problem is that you never finish, there's always something that you want to update or change. The finished project is truly something you can be proud of.

Dollar wise, I would agree that you will get the most bang for your buck by buying someone else's conversion. The parts necessary are still available, but none are cheap anymore, and some things are getting rare.

Either way, there is nothing that compares with opening the throttle on a big engined 914-6 and feel it fly. There are faster cars out there, but few that allow you to feel so connected to the road.

Whichever way you decide, enjoy the project/quest!
drgchapman
So your car had a 3.2 in it, so it was "good to go" for your 86 Carrera engine - or did you have to start from scratch again.....

T

The carbed engine had very basic wiring, pressure and temp, starter, the basics. The Motronic has the DME, fuel pump relay, DME relay, Flywheel sensors, yada yada. I managed to get it about 85% correct. My local race shop, Rothsport, cleaned up my mistakes. The 3.2 fits quite snug with the fuel injection, but work well. Any maintainance will be done after dropping the motor. Mainly a wiring thing. I changed to WEVO tanny mounts for a more sloid feel.
The big ticket item was the tranny.

JP is right, it much cheaper to buy one done. I am just too picky.

Gary

ClayPerrine
OK...I have one of the six conversions... But I went the other way.

I have a small bore six. 2.4L T motor with MFI.

There is nothing like the sound of a small bore six at full song... Betty always tells me "It sounds like a friggin race car!"

Tuning the MFI is a steep learning curve. I am an experienced, retired professional mechanic, and I needed some patience, a lot of reading, and some actual instruction from a experienced MFI guru to get it to run good.

Yea, I know the motor is only 140HP, but damn its fun!!!

Next stop... 2.4L 911 S spec motor with 2.2 Pistons and cylinders (10.3 to 1 compression) and MFI! 200 HP and it will still have that SWEET sound when it tachs out!

The big bore sixes are nice, but they just don't scream like a small bore six!

driving.gif
Joe Bob
It's all in the muff....my 3.2 sounds like a banshee at full throttle.....
drgchapman
mikez Sep 20 2006, 07:38 PM Post #16
It's all in the muff....my 3.2 sounds like a banshee at full throttle.....

I agree, mine sounds awesome as well, coming into 3000+ RPM on up, "it sounds like a friggin' race car". We had to fab an exhaust to clear the WEVO conversion. It occupies about 20% of the muffler space behind the tranny. I have a fairly small flowmaster muffler on mine.
jim912928
drgchapman...can you show a pic of the exhaust setup...I have my 3.2 on the garage floor...accumulating all the conversion parts as we speak.
dekman
Skinny VS WIDE........GO WIDE!!!!! I agree with MikeZ....it's mostly in the muffler! bootyshake.gif I love BIG BUTTS (cars only). thumb3d.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Sep 20 2006, 07:58 PM) *

I agree, mine sounds awesome as well, coming into 3000+ RPM on up, "it sounds like a friggin' race car". We had to fab an exhaust to clear the WEVO conversion. It occupies about 20% of the muffler space behind the tranny. I have a fairly small flowmaster muffler on mine.

I have a magnaflow up between the rear of the car and the transmission. Wonder if thats gonna work if I go with a wevo. idea.gif

My old muffler was just to loud for me at open throttle. The new and the old exhaust sound about the same at idle up to about 3500. After that it was painfully loud.

Now it's a real joy to hit 8000rpm

Dekmans exhaust looks like my old one.
brant
it ain't all about the muffler folks...
its got something to do with the redline.

are you reving those 3.0's to 7300rpm?
didn't think so.

brant
grantsfo
Mine was converted in less than a week. Small bore 6 with carbs is fairly straight forward.

Tough to replicate the sound of a carbed small bore six. Its a 1970's Le Mans sound track that I never get tired of listening to. I agree its not the muffler. I run a stock 911 muffler and the car just sings!
dekman
Brant, mine was built to rev to 8,000 but I set my rev limiter at 7,000. Honest rolleyes.gif
drgchapman
Ok, so here is apicture of my muffler set up on a 3.2. Around the WEVO side shifter conversion. Stock rear valence, stock looking exhaust.....maybe a little bigger diameter.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
kenschipper
QUOTE(dekman @ Sep 20 2006, 09:32 PM) *

Skinny VS WIDE........GO WIDE!!!!! I agree with MikeZ....it's mostly in the muffler! bootyshake.gif I love BIG BUTTS (cars only). thumb3d.gif

Rob,

You told me once but I'v since forgotten, what is the info you your muffler setup?

Ken
Joe Bob
I like skinny...I've done wide.

It's so much much fun putting the hammer down on a stock looking 914 and seeing/hearing about the "oh fuck, what the hell was THAT" comments.....

I had a V8 and now a 3.2 skinny and they rock....
Trekkor
"Shall I say...SIX"?

Pretty much sums it up.

Small SIX revving to 7300 is pretty satisfying.

KT
Maltese Falcon
mine came like this all stock biggrin.gif
dekman
"Stock...Yea Right...I don't think So!" Hey Ken, my exhaust is a Aussie made "Monty". Got it thru ( http://aasesales.com/montymufflers.html). "Wide Butt...Fat Pipes Rule" beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
These are the stock tailpipes, I swear they came like this from the factory*.
The license plate frame even sez so biggrin.gif
*marty's factory
dekman
Can't argue with a plastic license plate frame.....beautiful installation!!! clap56.gif
Maltese Falcon
Thx. Dekman...and I wouldn't mind your orange GT in my garage either biggrin.gif
Back on subject...not to mention the costs of your basic GT conversion. Photo taken @ Burbank Coachworks.
Maltese Falcon
Engine tweak$ can add up quick too. Flame ring conversion (Aasco) for hi-boost engine.
The OE (non head gasket) 3.3 set up won't live long without this mod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.