Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't find lug bolts - American Racing specific
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
I've waited a week for the emails I've sent to American Racing folks to be answered and have lost patience. I have googled looking for these and no luck in the first 2 pages. I even brought the lug bolts I need to GAF and found none, but got some encouragement and advice.

I REALLY NEED to get my hands on either a full set or 4 lug bolts for my American Racing wheels. One of these lugs that are on there are pictured below. I want to get some McGard bolts off and replace them with the correct type (4) or find new ones with fresh chrome (16) and replace them all. The bolt tightens with a 19mm socket. It has a "washer" fused to it that seat perfectly in a recessed circle on in the wheel. These are not ball seat or cone seat, but "flat" seat I guess. The McGard bolts have a spacer/adapter that is ball seat for the bolt then machined for a perfect fit in the recessed circle on the wheel (but they stick out because of this).

If anybody has these lying around, or knows of a source for special lug bolts, or a contact phone number for Amercian Racing (web site has email only) I would really appreciate info! My wheels are AR "daisy" style, I think that is what they are called, and I really like them. I would also really like to go to press in studs, but new lug bolts will get me through the next AX tech inspection and be easy on the wallet. beerchug.gif
SGB
I have some Western wheels that have a similar "old style mag" seat surface. I had decided the wheels must have been from a lugeed setup. If anyone has a source for this type of bolt, I want to know as well!
jd74914
Me too, I need some new lugs for my westerns as well!
TravisNeff
I have a full set of those bolts - from a set of western wheels. Not pretty (some have chrome coming off), but definately functional. Let me know.
Chris Pincetich
Travis - I will find my calipers and measure the depth and width exactly when i get home tonight. I am definitely interested in getting yours if they fit exactly. I picked up 4 spares at EASY and they *looked* good, but the unthreaded bolt part was 1 mm too wide and wouldn't fit in the wheel hole. Thanks for the response!
jd74914
Travis - if Chris passes for some odd reason I'm very interested
TravisNeff
Scott beat you to them. I will look tonight to make sure I have all 16 and I will post the dimensions here.
Trekkor
Can you have the wheel's bolt hole machined to accept a cone seat bolt?

I also may still have 15 lugs from a set of Westerns.

Being me dry.gif I just used cone seat bolts with the Westerns and they machined themselves...

hide.gif

KT
grantsfo
I think Rich at HPH may have some of those. If you cant find them give him a call.
Chris Pincetich
Trek - what about running screw in studs with cone seat lug nuts in my flat surfaced wheels? smoke.gif Machining the wheels is a bigger chunk of change than lug bolts, but smaller than studs. Seriously, I think there is hope on the horizon. beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
Here are the dimensions from my wheel bolts. I believe that there were a couple versions of the western or "dan gurney" wheel. You'll need to measure your bolt hole diameter on the wheel to be sure of the required shank size of the bolt.

Here is what I got.

Bolt head 20MM
Shank diameter: 17mm
Shank length 10mm (with washer in place
Threaded portion 32mm
Overall length 66mm
SGB
I'll check my wheels tomorrow. Thanks Travis and i hope HPH or Trek can help you other guys....
Chris Pincetich
OK- borrowed some calipers because I couldn't find mine last night and made the following measurements:

Bolt head: 19mm
Shank diameter: 16mm
Shank length: 10mm (with washer in place)
Threaded portion: 25mm
Washer diameter: 28.8mm

The caliper head wouldn't squeeze into the recess in the wheel well enough to get a 100% accurate diameter of the hole in the wheel for the lug bolt, but my 90% accurate measurement is 16mm. Putting the lug bolt back in, there is definitely not room for a 17mm shank diameter. In fact, I measured the "bad lug bolts" I got from EASY and the shank diameter is 17.5mm and these DO NOT fit in the hole.

THE BAD NEWS: those lug bolts from the Westerns will likely not work and I am not interested in them now. If I have to, I can machine my wheels, but then will have them done for a standard cone seat and get a new set of lug bolts.

THE GOOD NEWS: The AR special parts guy that I emailed last week replied last night! I sent him all the details and photos. As plan B, I call Rich at HPH because I KNOW he has these wheels and I should order a tuna can soon anyway.

Thanks for all the help so far! beerchug.gif
SGB
I,ve remeasured and can't use the bolts Travis has either, so anyone is looking for those, he till has em.
HeavyHeavy
I don't know if they'll work for you, but I solved a similar
problem with empi part # 9511 wheel studs.
DanT
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Sep 20 2006, 12:13 PM) *

I've waited a week for the emails I've sent to American Racing folks to be answered and have lost patience. I have googled looking for these and no luck in the first 2 pages. I even brought the lug bolts I need to GAF and found none, but got some encouragement and advice.

I REALLY NEED to get my hands on either a full set or 4 lug bolts for my American Racing wheels. One of these lugs that are on there are pictured below. I want to get some McGard bolts off and replace them with the correct type (4) or find new ones with fresh chrome (16) and replace them all. The bolt tightens with a 19mm socket. It has a "washer" fused to it that seat perfectly in a recessed circle on in the wheel. These are not ball seat or cone seat, but "flat" seat I guess. The McGard bolts have a spacer/adapter that is ball seat for the bolt then machined for a perfect fit in the recessed circle on the wheel (but they stick out because of this).

If anybody has these lying around, or knows of a source for special lug bolts, or a contact phone number for Amercian Racing (web site has email only) I would really appreciate info! My wheels are AR "daisy" style, I think that is what they are called, and I really like them. I would also really like to go to press in studs, but new lug bolts will get me through the next AX tech inspection and be easy on the wallet. beerchug.gif

Chris, try the link below. they have lots of choices.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/
Chris Pincetich
Success! 16 new chrome gorilla cone seat lug bolts and perfect 60 deg cone seats drilled into my allow wheels thanks to a very generous member (thanks again Patrick!). Neither the AR wharehouse guy, HPH, EASY or classifieds for >1 week resulted in the correct lug bolt. Well, I now have 12 extra of these mag style lug bolts if anybody needs one beerchug.gif
DanT
glad you found something to work... smile.gif
dlee1967
It looks like I am a little late but I have found that Mr Lug Nut has some unique offerings. I even found some lugs to fit my early Mini Cooper S at one time. They have conical and ball seat lug bolts and nuts.

Mr Lug Nut bye1.gif
Trekkor
Do you have a picture of the cutting tool you used?

KT
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 20 2006, 02:45 PM) *

I have some Western wheels that have a similar "old style mag" seat surface. I had decided the wheels must have been from a lugeed setup. If anyone has a source for this type of bolt, I want to know as well!

Just bought a new set for my westerns at a local tire and wheel dealer.
a buck apiece, I think
ppickerell
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 11 2006, 10:02 PM) *

KT

Trek,
It's a standard countersink bit. Chris left it with me. Do you need it?
Patrick
ppickerell
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 11 2006, 10:02 PM) *

KT

Single flute high speed 60 degree
anderssj
Chris,

I could use a couple of the A-R lug bolts if you have any left. Thanks. PM sent.

Best,

Steve A-
jimtab
Chris those wheels look GREAT. How did you get them polished up so nicely....I need to do the set I have. So impart the secret oh great one...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.