Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR AX #8 at Candlestick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
DanT
I have one of those Rob. I refer to mine as the great grandson of the 914 biggrin.gif
Trekkor
When did all this happen? ( Bill )

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 05:32 PM) *

Just let me know....if I can't get there at the same time as you, I can always give Mark a call and let him know you are coming to get it for a test spin. biggrin.gif

Are you going to try to get all that suspension stuff done by the end of Oct for GGR #9?

If you are going to be doing most of the install, let me know since I have done a bit of wrench turning on mine a couple of friends Boxsters.

You will want to get either a B&M or a Schnell shifter along with those other goodies. biggrin.gif

Are those the tires and wheels you got from BillD?

Is there enough tread on those tires for any AXing or are you going to get some new tires. Right now Tirerack has very limited supplies of Kumho Victoracers. I guess it is the end of the season shortage. confused24.gif

If you are planning on getting 245 and 275s on there you will be using some custom aftermarket wheels?

this is going to be way cool thumb3d.gif

Instructor nametag and helmet ready for duty biggrin.gif

I'll call you later this week and see what looks good for getting together and picking up the exhaust. I haven't picked up a short shift kit, but I plan on that along with the offset kit that moves the shift tower closer to the driver's seat.

The rims are from BillD but the Victoracers are new from the Tire Rack. I must have got one of the few sets left. They were in their Indiana warehouse. Heat cycled and shaved. For AX next year we will be using the V710's. Once the suspension is sorted I will decide between the Victoracers and the Hoosier R6's. Back to tire testing again.

Several folks in POC have been testing the 245/275 combo on the stock wheels. Spec Boxster rules state the use of stock wheels or wheels with the same minimum weight and dimensions. In any case, they are reporting that lap times are superior pinching the bigger rubber onto the smaller rims than just running a 225/255 combo. AX may be different, but we'll test with Victoracers until we settle on a combo for AX. Track will definitely be 245/275.

I just hope we can get it ready for the AX. It's going to be tight. I do know that the suspension bits and the tires are currently in trucks and to be delivered by the end of this week.

Bill P.
DanT
Trek,
He got it about 2 weeks ago now. He is planning on making a SPEC Boxster or some such itteration.

He and I have been talking on the phone about this for about 3+ hours over the last month or so. Actually he was going to buy a spec Boxster last year before he bought Fritz.

I am going to help him as much as I can since I do have some Boxster experience.

This should be a fun project.

A completely setup, gutted Boxster should be a very formidable AX/track car.
I have been contemplating just such a project for about 2 years. So I can give Bill some good input, plus my AXing/tracking of my Boxster over the last 4 years.

Trekkor
Pretty wild...

Bill you NEED to try those 710's on the big track, too.

Now we need the pics.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Trek,
He got it about 2 weeks ago now. He is planning on making a SPEC Boxster or some such itteration.

He and I have been talking on the phone about this for about 3+ hours over the last month or so. Actually he was going to buy a spec Boxster last year before he bought Fritz.

I am going to help him as much as I can since I do have some Boxster experience.

I have been contemplating just such a project for about 2 years. So I can give Bill some good input, plus my AXing/tracking of my Boxster over the last 4 years.

If its a spec Boxster it will be limited in its capability to be an AX force.
DanT
Well after what we saw a 3K pound Cayman on street tires at the last event. A gutted well setup and driven Boxster should be right there...

We will see next season I guess popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 09:50 PM) *

Well after what we saw a 3K pound Cayman on street tires at the last event. A gutted well setup and driven Boxster should be right there...

We will see next season I guess popcorn[1].gif

Yeah but there werent really any zoomie cars there now that I look at results. Guess a well setup Boxster could take second place when no one shows up. That Cayman S was still 4 seconds off of Andrew. If its going to be a spec Boxster I still think it will have a tough time in AX against the super zoomies, no doubt it will be a contender, but will likely be placing close behind Andrew and a couple other fast cars. I think you would really need to tear into the Boxster to make it an AX winner - far beyond spec Boxster mods.

Although spending 4 years behind the wheel of a Boxster I agree they have potenital!
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 2 2006, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Trek,

If its a spec Boxster it will be limited in its capability to be an AX force.

This car will be anything but a "Spec Boxster"....more like a wolf in Spec Boxster clothing....and we will be pushing the limits of what is "bolt on" and "bolt off". Remember, the Spec Boxster series is limited by a sound set of rules to keep initial build costs down. As most of the Spec Series will be POC driven for the next few years, it will be mostly SoCal centric. I will have no such limitations up here in NorCal where I can do whatever I please within the spirit of our wonderful points system in GGR, the American Racing Club (NCRC) or PRC. With some headers, chips, intake bolt on mods...we can get the motor to 230 HP easily. And with Scott Yeamans wonderful crew at Yeaman Autobody....well f/g lids are just the beginning...it only takes money. laugh.gif With a little imagination, you could see being able to configure the car easily to different groups or points. Wanna save 70 pounds...bolt on f/g doors and lids. Want to save hundreds...do the aforementioned and bolt on f/g fenders and quarter panels.

We'll see where the migration takes us over the coming few years....in fact, since the pre-2000's aren't e-gas, a '99 996 3.4 isn't nearly the bear of a swap as the newer models. happy11.gif

But after taking the Boxster out in stock form and flogging it in the Santa Cruz hills and a few parking lots in my area, I'm convinced after mods the car is a consistent top 10 car at AX's and hopefully top 5 eventually. It may take a while to sort, but I think we can get it there.

As far as taking TTOD, a heavily modified zoomie will always take that. But my teammate Randal Barrick will give Andrew B a good run at it next year with his monster Raby 914. Wait till you see that car..... clap56.gif And don't forget Sir Andy and his 3.6. Or the Beast.... laugh.gif

Besides the weight, the Boxster's biggest weakness is that in stock form, it understeers like a pig (which a street car should do). Once you see Ira's swaybars, you will understand just how much more capable the Boxster platform will be. And we will not be constrained by the PSS9 spring rates. We've already talked with H&R about higher spring rates that work with the PSS9's. They are currently supplying the PSS9 springs to Bilstein. Stock Boxster rates are relativel soft as it is a street car. The PSS9's raise the rates considerably to 260lbs fronts and 370lbs rears (approx). H&R will be supplying us with some test springs at 450/500lbs rates for the track. That should flatten out the Boxster pretty well, even at an AX!

Aftermarket pieces were few and far between on the Boxster platform. But that is changing quickly. Now you can pick up the bits and pieces needed to transform the car for the same prices as 911's or even a few 914 bits. Early stages right now, but it has begun.

It will be a battle of pure lightweight older technology versus newer technology. This should be interesting.

Dan, Randal and I have always thought a Boxster with the right mods and capable drivers would do well in AX and on the track. We will be testing that theory.

I can't wait. Wetting the appetite will happen at Sears on November 12th. We won't have time to gut the car entirely or put in the cage. But the suspension should be in. It will be a get to know the car session. Then shortly thereafter TonyC gets the car and things start to change.

Lots of fun. And the donor car we picked up is beautiful. I'll post pics of it it later.

I've tracked a 914-6 and a 911, both heavily modded. And now I'll get to play with a Boxster. I'm pretty lucky, so it's all good.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Your 2.5 car will be a top 10 AutoX car. Promise.

If "I" can put a 2.5 car into the top 10 here in SD AutoX where we get over 100 cars per event.. then Bill/Randal can do it up there.

The car I run weighs 2850 with a 200lb driver (me) this is with gutted doors and only a fiberglass GT3 nose. The rest of the car is steel.

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 2 2006, 10:57 PM) *

[
This car will be anything but a "Spec Boxster"....more like a wolf in Spec Boxster clothing....and we will be pushing the limits of what is "bolt on" and "bolt off". Remember, the Spec Boxster series is limited by a sound set of rules to keep initial build costs down. As most of the Spec Series will be POC driven for the next few years, it will be mostly SoCal centric. I will have no such limitations up here in NorCal where I can do whatever I please within the spirit of our wonderful points system in GGR, the American Racing Club (NCRC) or PRC. With some headers, chips, intake bolt on mods...we can get the motor to 230 HP easily. And with Scott Yeamans wonderful crew at Yeaman Autobody....well f/g lids are just the beginning...it only takes money. laugh.gif With a little imagination, you could see being able to configure the car easily to different groups or points. Wanna save 70 pounds...bolt on f/g doors and lids. Want to save hundreds...do the aforementioned and bolt on f/g fenders and quarter panels.

We'll see where the migration takes us over the coming few years....in fact, since the pre-2000's aren't e-gas, a '99 996 3.4 isn't nearly the bear of a swap as the newer models. happy11.gif

But after taking the Boxster out in stock form and flogging it in the Santa Cruz hills and a few parking lots in my area, I'm convinced after mods the car is a consistent top 10 car at AX's and hopefully top 5 eventually. It may take a while to sort, but I think we can get it there.

As far as taking TTOD, a heavily modified zoomie will always take that. But my teammate Randal Barrick will give Andrew B a good run at it next year with his monster Raby 914. Wait till you see that car..... clap56.gif And don't forget Sir Andy and his 3.6. Or the Beast.... laugh.gif

Besides the weight, the Boxster's biggest weakness is that in stock form, it understeers like a pig (which a street car should do). Once you see Ira's swaybars, you will understand just how much more capable the Boxster platform will be. And we will not be constrained by the PSS9 spring rates. We've already talked with H&R about higher spring rates that work with the PSS9's. They are currently supplying the PSS9 springs to Bilstein. Stock Boxster rates are relativel soft as it is a street car. The PSS9's raise the rates considerably to 260lbs fronts and 370lbs rears (approx). H&R will be supplying us with some test springs at 450/500lbs rates for the track. That should flatten out the Boxster pretty well, even at an AX!

Aftermarket pieces were few and far between on the Boxster platform. But that is changing quickly. Now you can pick up the bits and pieces needed to transform the car for the same prices as 911's or even a few 914 bits. Early stages right now, but it has begun.

It will be a battle of pure lightweight older technology versus newer technology. This should be interesting.

Dan, Randal and I have always thought a Boxster with the right mods and capable drivers would do well in AX and on the track. We will be testing that theory.

I can't wait. Wetting the appetite will happen at Sears on November 12th. We won't have time to gut the car entirely or put in the cage. But the suspension should be in. It will be a get to know the car session. Then shortly thereafter TonyC gets the car and things start to change.

Lots of fun. And the donor car we picked up is beautiful. I'll post pics of it it later.

I've tracked a 914-6 and a 911, both heavily modded. And now I'll get to play with a Boxster. I'm pretty lucky, so it's all good.

Bill P.

This is great! Heavily modified and lightened Boxsters are on tracks around the world and very fast so you must know this car will fly. Heavily modded the Boxster will definitely be a TTOD contender. I think you will be suprized at all the things you can do with the Boxster. There are carbon fiber body parts, big sway bars, springs, coilovers, exhausts. I see your already on the Boxster Racing Forum so thats a good start. Trickiest thing will be getting more power from the 2.5. I have always wondered why so few people have taken this platform on in Nor Cal. My 2.7 was a blast and it was purely stock with some fat Falkens. In addition to being a very competent platform they are easy to drive too!

Curious what are you doing to get 230 HP from a 2.5?

Have you seen this one? Foto link has some build pics etc.

http://www.porsche-racing.at/index.php

Another nice one:

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
The car is stupid easy to assemble. Everything from the B pillars forward can have 99-04 GT3 Cup/RSR parts bolted to it.

Grant,

The shops are afraid of the engines. Plain and simple. The day the car was released I asked ALL the Bay Area shops about "engine development" none of them wanted to get involved. They all said the engine was junk.. COOL I said. I never thought I would see piece of shit Honda's/Nissan's/Toyota's running 7 second quarters either.. LOL

I started pulling engines apart 2 years ago now. I have two different engines being developed right now. L&N engineering is helping with larger bores and pistons. Pauter machine is working with me on rods.. and Web Cam has several cams from us. Scat has been contacted about making cranks for the blocks..

I will have a "race" new water cooled Porsche engine very soon. Take a 2.5 engine and cut the case for 100mm X51 size pistons. Now you have a short stroke big bore high rev'er. All the larger heads bolt on. I can bolt on X51 3.8 heads (if I had them) NO porting or larger valves needed. I learned all this from the air cooled guys way back.

The engines are not going away and the first person with a REAL race engine based on this new block design will have *something* (it could just be another headache..LOL)

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 3 2006, 09:25 AM) *

The car is stupid easy to assemble. Everything from the B pillars forward can have 99-04 GT3 Cup/RSR parts bolted to it.

Grant,

The shops are afraid of the engines. Plain and simple. The day the car was released I asked ALL the Bay Area shops about "engine development" none of them wanted to get involved. They all said the engine was junk.. COOL I said. I never thought I would see piece of shit Honda's/Nissan's/Toyota's running 7 second quarters either.. LOL

I started pulling engines apart 2 years ago now. I have two different engines being developed right now. L&N engineering is helping with larger bores and pistons. Pauter machine is working with me on rods.. and Web Cam has several cams from us. Scat has been contacted about making cranks for the blocks..

I will have a "race" new water cooled Porsche engine very soon. Take a 2.5 engine and cut the case for 100mm X51 size pistons. Now you have a short stroke big bore high rev'er. All the larger heads bolt on. I can bolt on X51 3.8 heads (if I had them) NO porting or larger valves needed. I learned all this from the air cooled guys way back.

The engines are not going away and the first person with a REAL race engine based on this new block design will have *something* (it could just be another headache..LOL)

B

The lack of shop support was what kept me from going the Boxster race car route. I got the same feedback that the engine was junk and that I'd be better off with a 911 or a 914-6. When I coupled the higher price of entry and lack of support for the Boxster platform I gave up and went with my 914.

I'm not willing to blaze trails with the Boxster, but I'm certainly willing to follow people who spend all the money and learn from their mistakes. My racing budget of $10K to $15K a year just cant take being a Boxster pioneer.

Figure I can sell my 914-6 for about $10K in a year and jump into a $15K Boxster so I'm keeping my eye on developments.
Brad Roberts
I beleive you. I stayed away also. Once I started running part number matches with the 99 996GT3 cup car.. I knew they would be good platforms to start with. I like it when you can build a race car based on proven factory components.

The entry price is still higher than 914's (duh.. the oldest Boxster is coming up on 10yo) but the used engine/transmission pricing makes it a NO brainer. The 2.5 car is the 1.7 of the 914's. NOBODY will use those engines to DO anything with them. This will make all the used ones CHEAP (just like a throw away 1.7 4cyl) The early 2.5 tranny will be the tailshifter of the 914's. I hate the fact that it will run you 10k+ to rebuild a ANY of the 6cyl air cooled engines. This keeps me from playing in that area. The later engines are less than 10k NEW from Porsche. I think a new 2.5 engine is right around $5500 with the PCA discount and your core. We paid 15k for 385hp X51 engine outright with no core!!

If I had been around.. I would have liked to see a 1.7 914 spec class!!

Porsche isnt hard to figure out. Look at the past to determine the future.

B
Trekkor
Sounds exciting...Something to look forward to.

KT
Brad Roberts
The best part:

They are still making Boxsters.. and the platform has just been extended with the Cayman. They share 90% of their parts. We will have Boxster/Cayman parts coming out of the woodwork over the next 10 years. Used unmolested engines will be cheap. Conversions will be even more popular than they are now. 15 years ago 9146 conversions were very few and far between.

Just remember where you heard it..LOL

B
Trekkor
"The Boxsters are coming"...dry.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
Oh.. yeah.. that is what?? 2 years old now?

I'll always love the 914's. I'll always be involved, but from a racing/money perspective.. I can get sponsorship for a Boxster and I cant for a 914. People like the Boxster. People tend to shy away from the 914's.

B
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 2 2006, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 2 2006, 04:52 PM) *

Bill, Make sure to put some bigger tires on the front end of that thing. Boxster's push like pigs with stock front tire size in most AX venues.

If I have time to get the following on the car:

245/45/17's up front...275/40/17's rear...
Tarrett Front and Rear Adjustable swaybars...
Tarrett Adjustable toe links rear...
GT3 Adjustable Lower Control Arms...
PSS9's...
3.0+ degrees of negative camber...
Slammed...

I think she'll turn.... happy11.gif

Wait till you see the custom TonyC cage going in....
And all the gutting of the interior that will happen over the winter...

And...and...and...and...

Barrick - Pickering Racing......we be insane! laugh.gif

Anyone that has run or taughts students in Boxsters knows they handle. If you've had students running Caymans then you know they handle better.

The reason seems to be the stiffer chassis provided by a roof.

I can't wait to see how Bill car handles with a full cage and the right suspension components all working as they should in a stiff chassis.

Last weekend a SCCA guy showed up in a Cayman - he wasn't even running slicks and he still kicked butt.

Fun!
DanT
I vote for this biggrin.gif
Trekkor
mid-engines racing
grantsfo
OK I know I'm going to find a way to relate this to GGR AX somehow. Bet this car would have had a chance to be TTOD. 2500 lbs Boxster with a 3.6 liter

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Specs:

Weight 1150 kg
Wheelbase 2415 mm
Track (F/R) 1465 mm / 1530 mm
Transmission Hewland 6-speed sequential
Clutch Metal twin plate (AP)
F: Double Wishbone push rod
R: Double Wishbone push rod
F: Brake Ventilated disk 6pod (Endless)
R: Ventilated disk 4pod (Endless)
Tire
F:280/710-R18
R: 280/710-R18

Wheel
American Racing
10.5J × 18
10.5J × 18

Engine Specifications
Engine Model M96/77
Engine Type Horizontally Opposed 6-cylinder, NA
Displacement 3598 cc
Bore × Stroke 100.0 mm × 76.4 mm
Air Restrictor 29.9 mm × 2
Maximum Power 350 ps over / 8000 rpm
Maximum Torque 32 kg-m over / 7000 rpm
Engine Tuner MID WEST RACING
DanT
It's all good Grant....it is my thread biggrin.gif

I likey the blue one rolleyes.gif burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.