Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENGINE TIN PAINT.. whats a perfect match?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Looking to refinish the plenium and touch up a couple of other areas. Has anyone found a perfect match to the factory finish?
ptravnic
Todd - we used standar POR 15 on my sheet metal - not sure how it'll work out but if you swing by MovieTime Sunday you can catch a look.

Wasn't the factory finish just black?
type47
if you really want it to match, have it powdercoated. i'll look at my records and the finish i chose when i get home, but definately, go for the powdercoating for a factory finish.
anthony
Is Por-15 fuel and oil resistant.
ptravnic
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 22 2006, 02:39 PM) *

Is Por-15 fuel and oil resistant.

Don't know - I'll tell ya in a couple years biggrin.gif

We asked that question on the board a few weeks ago but didn't get a conclusive answer. We had plenty of POR-15 around and figured "what the hell!".

-pt
tod914
POR looks good, but I think it's too glossy. Im trying to blend into the existing so I can preserve the sticker and stenciled number. I just got in a new rear tin piece. Guess I'll take that with me and see if I can find a match. The PC would be ideal, but just want to touch up the existing for now being the motor isn't being pulled.

Thanks
tod914
Just found this on the net... didnt realize the pca site had a tech section.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...8-31F7A25B00CB}

Dave Cheek mentioned the Masory before but can't seem to locate it.

Lots of good info on this... http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa.asp
anthony
I just looked on POR's site. I'm pretty sure they also have satin black top coast for a less glossy look. They also say it's oil and fuel resistant.
tod914
por15 chasis black i think its called. was looking at that in the auto store today. was thinking about redoing my trailing arms with it.
swl
I have some of the POR-15 semi-gloss - not the chassis top coat. It is a 'color' of POR-15. It is a really nice finish but if you are going cw you may not be pleased with it. The black is not as deep as the original paint. I know that sounds all interior designer but you have to see it.
Pat Garvey
OK, I'm going to make myself very unpopular here! For this application, I think powdercoating is dead wrong! It does not resemble the Factory finish because it has too much grain to it.

These pieces should have a smoothe satin finish to them - you cannot get that with powdercoating. POR is effective, but crude.

Have the pieces (or do it youself, as I did) prep'd & painted with Masury, if you can find it, or (HORRORS) a decent replacement. What, are you worried about the paint's acceptance of fuel? Have a leak - mop it up, or watch it blow up. The paint won't care! I've have plent of leaks & the paint didn't care, though I ran for the extinguisher.

Contemporary paints work just fine & you can duplicate the finish by adjusting your air pressure. Powder coating is OK, but it ain't even close to a Factory finish.

The prersonal 2 cents worth from a Purist.
anthony
I would agree that POR-15 is probably overkill in this application. I mean do we ever see engine tin rust?

I think most guys doing a non-concours restoration would probably want the most durable paint or treatment that would resist becoming dingy as much as possible.
JeffBowlsby
Aha, thats why we love this place...genuine people trying to help each other. Powder coatings are used because of their high durability and they are available in a wide variety of colors, textures and glosses.

Here is my take:

I recently had my tin and all the black engine bay pieces powdercoated and if you know me, I can about all the details.

The shop I used was experienced in Porsche/VW restorations and they used a powdercoat "BK05", which is a 60% gloss black, I do not know the mfr, but I could probably find out. I know its a major powdercoat brand so any decent powdercoater could probably ID it from that spec. Its a dead ringer for the factory finish, but much more durable.

I have a perfect product for the heat exchangers and intake manifold tubing too, but I have posted that before.

So.Cal.914
The paint is called Iron Oxyde brown. It will match the rest of most 914's out there

smile.gif

Click to view attachment
anthony
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 22 2006, 10:40 PM) *

I have a perfect product for the heat exchangers and intake manifold tubing too, but I have posted that before.

Please share it again. I will be doing intake manifolds soon.

tod914
I compared the new engine tin piece to Wurth Satin/Semigloss. It has more gloss to it than the Wurth. It seems it would be midway between that and gloss. I'll keep poking around and see what I can come up with.
JeffBowlsby
For the intake mainfolds and heat exchangers, its a ceramic exhaust coating from Techline Coatings. "Colorgard - Titanium". Have a shop do it for the best results. Any powdercoater can get this stuff.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

tod914
Jeff is that coating is it a flat/matte finish?
JeffBowlsby
I have compared the two side by side and its identical to the OEM finish in color and gloss characteristics.
tod914
Cool good to know, thanks Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.