Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 prototype, circa 1969
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
eitnurg
No. 1 and No. 3 are reckoned to be the same car, in this case respectively pre- and post- conversion to an 8 for Piech.
No. 2 is something different - appears now safe to say it's a prototype 4.
Gustl
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 3 2006, 08:45 AM) *

seems not to be the best idea to call it prototype 4

any other number would be better ...

wink.gif Gustl
swapped
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 1 2006, 12:17 AM) *

Carl, welcome.png
That is an interesting bumper, give us more info.

Dave

Hi Dave - I'm not sure I've got much more information than is clear from the pic - the bumpers are as they were when I bought it.

I'll have the front-end off over the winter, as the spoiler needs re-mounting (currently held on partially with blue grip-ties), and if there are any manufacturers marks on the moulding, I'll let you know. Also, the fog lights set into it don't work.

I don't think the car is particularly early (it has an adjustable passenger seat) - it just looks like the prototypes because of the smoothed feel of the bumpers. The rear bumper has been worked on too.

The car was changed from its original yellow to the red (Guards Red?) by a man who I haven't met, but who I'm told built himself a metal-bodied Hebmuller replica, so I'm guessing he had the required skills to make himself whatever front bumper he desired.

I'll let you know the VIN number when I remember, but I would expect you to be able to tell me more from that than I can tell you!

Carl

Bleyseng
The rear bumper looks like its been filled and painted as there isn't a rubber top mounted on it. Gives it a different look or the PO was too cheap to mount the proper top. biggrin.gif

I still am trying to figure out the 914S shift linkage on the drawings...looks like its down the passenger side but then? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 2 2006, 11:45 PM) *

No. 1 and No. 3 are reckoned to be the same car, in this case respectively pre- and post- conversion to an 8 for Piech.

agree.gif

the car in the middle has the production turn signals, the red 914/8 has the "big" turn signals. i have pics of that car before it was fitted with the 908 engine etc. and it already had the "big" turnsignals.
plus, the double-headlights are another hint ...

so, pic1 and pic3 are 914111, pic2 looks like a early /4 prototype. btw. DGVWPB states that they had 15 prototype /4 build up first before they build the first prototype /6 ... (page 28, first paragraph)
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 3 2006, 07:11 AM) *

I still am trying to figure out the 914S shift linkage on the drawings...looks like its down the passenger side but then? confused24.gif

from the shifter to the right (407mm) to a coupler in front of the pass. seat.
then straight back (under the pass. seat) through the firewall to another coupler.
then angled upwards (has a "kink", to clear the headers i presume) to the pass. (!) side of the tranny to another coupler.
from there straight into the right side of the tranny.

you can see how it attaches to the tranny right behind the pass. side carbs, in a 90 deg. angle from the shift rod.

i wonder what tranny they were using ?
confused24.gif Andy
Bleyseng
ah, now I see it. Looks like the first sideshift 901!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.