Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 prototype, circa 1969
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
1970 Neun vierzehn
Note the h/l cover shape, front bumper, door mirror. icon8.gif I'm glad the factory changed them to what we've got.
URY914
I'm glad they added wheels and tires. Is that thing floating on air?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Early Maglev technology biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
must be a pic of the other 8 cylinder car that had the dual headlites plus the round mirror.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 26 2006, 11:58 AM) *

Note the h/l cover shape, front bumper, door mirror. icon8.gif I'm glad the factory changed them to what we've got.

that is actually 914111 before it was converted over to the 908 engine and given to Dr. Ferdinand Piech ...

i've seen a few pre-908 pictures of that car ...
driving.gif Andy
davep
That looks like 914111, Ferdinand's flat eight engined car.
SirAndy
btw. you got a high-res version of that pic? or more of them?

idea.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
What is not apparent in this 2nd generation photo that I've posted is the fact that this car is fitted w/4 bolt pattern wheels. Another picture shows the car in even lower light conditions. I'd post that as well, 'cept its clarity is compromised by the low light conditions, the film ASA of the era, the camera equipment and the fact that the car is in motion.

If I can "shop" the other picture to where it's presentable, I'll post it as well.
Bleyseng
you can really tell the pic I posted is a prototype car as look at the inner wheel where its black and hammered.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 26 2006, 12:41 PM) *

is the fact that this car is fitted w/4 bolt pattern wheels

nope, those are 5-lug steelies ...

i turned up the contrast a bit and you can clearly see the 5-lug pattern ...
smile.gif Andy

SirAndy
closeup ... 5-lug steelies for sure ...

Bleyseng
where are the fogs?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 26 2006, 02:06 PM) *

where are the fogs?

no fogs on 914111, it's got a solid bumper (which used to be body color and is now chromed) ...
smile.gif Andy
davep
Do you have negatives for these photos, or what type of item are you working from?
JPB
Crap, I love them head light covers. I wish they would have kept them on our cars. Add chrome bumpers and rims and you have a winner! smilie_pokal.gif Me likes.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 26 2006, 01:32 PM) *

closeup ... 5-lug steelies for sure ...

Huh... So Ahndy can only see things in photos when they are blurry... Explains a lot actually biggrin.gif
drewvw

so the story goes, Dr. Piech wasn't into the car at all right? He drove it once or something like that....
jimtab
I wish they'd put a 908 in mine......
SGB
Didn't that car go to Ferry Porsche (not Piech) on his 60th? Ludvigsen says that Ferry Porsche drove his 908 powered 914 almost 10000 km before the German liscensing people decided it was too loud for the street.
Bleyseng
The Silver car was Ferry's 60th bday present. The red car was a test mule with the 908 300HP motor and was scary fast.
bd1308
Piech got one too, one had MFI and one had webers.
Bleyseng
here is a pic from that test article that was done on the car recently
Gustl
here's another photo from the same shooting at "Schloss Langenburg" in Germany
Dave_Darling
The Piech car got the full-tilt boogie 908 race motor. MFI and everything, making 300 HP. The "birthday present" car had a de-tuned 908 motor with Webers. Unknown power output, but that is probably something that can be found out. (We know of someone who has a copy of the original owner's manual for that car!!!)

Geoff, was that pic of the silver car from the Factory museum from my factory visit, or someone else's? I remember the cars being set up like that when I was there... smile.gif

--DD
Bleyseng
I "think" its your pic but I don't have anyway to look. I just copied it for my files....got tons of pics of stuff from 11 years now in my HD's....
Gustl
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 28 2006, 03:11 AM) *

The "birthday present" car had a de-tuned 908 motor with Webers. Unknown power output, but that is probably something that can be found out.

AFAIK about 260 HP

wavey.gif Gustl
swapped
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 26 2006, 07:58 PM) *

Don't say that! - I was thinking how like my car the prototype looked.

(and I am shopping for a door mirror currently, and one of those is (was) top of my list)

Carl
1970 Neun vierzehn
Click to view attachmentNote what is most certainly the Piech 914/8 in the background, on the right, in the first picture.... in the second picture, note the fuel filler in the cowl area on the passenger side and round mirror on the door(like the Piech car and the prototype 914 in the photo opening this thread), but it has no widened or radiused wheel well openings, final configuration headlights and wheel cover w/trim rings for 4 bolt wheels. (That hubcap & aluminum trim ring configuration is how my 914/4 was delivered). Another pre-production prototype, no doubt.
Gustl
interesting photos - many thanks for sharing pray.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 30 2006, 11:25 AM) *

and wheel cover w/trim rings for 4 bolt wheels. (That hubcap & aluminum trim ring configuration is how my 914/4 was delivered).

as i said in my earlier post, you can't tell if that's a 4-lug or 5-lug car. many early /6 cars had the 5-lug steel wheels with hubcaps that look just like the ones in your picture.

one would have to remove the hubcap to be sure ...
wink.gif Andy
davep
Carl, welcome.png
That is an interesting bumper, give us more info.

Dave
Katmanken
Neun vierzehn,

That second picture is of a prototype that I am not familiar with. It has the production style 914 bumpers and rubber bumper trim, the prototype windshield trim and round exterior mirror, and the early 914111 whel arches before they were rolled. Throw in a white vinyl interior (914111 is black, Piech car is fabric) and it's one of the other protos.

Ken
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 30 2006, 11:25 AM) *

Note what is most certainly the Piech 914/8 in the background, on the right

yes. and the car to the left is 914006, ferry porsche's silver 914-8 ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: got any more pictures???
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2006, 01:15 AM) *

many early /6 cars had the 5-lug steel wheels with hubcaps that look just like the ones in your picture.

well, the 4-lug steel wheel is definitely different to the 5-lug steel wheel!

4-lug has 8 "open sections" in the outer ring
5-lug has 10 of them

sorry for my bad pics, but I guess they should explain the difference wink.gif

Bleyseng
those rims, hub caps and beauty rings sure look like the same ones that were on my 69 Fastback. Bettca $20 they just dipped into the parts bins for 'em.
Air_Cooled_Nut
What is the rim offset for the years? I can't find it in my literature sad.gif All I found was that prior to'74 a VW rim was used and from '74 on a different, non-VW offset was used. blink.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Front trunk of "pre-production prototype" shows much "carpet" over/behind luggage area. I've seen 914s depicted with this covering over top of gas tank, m/c,
etc, but have not ever seen it firsthand. Not real clear in this photo is the fuel filler on the cowl, just in front of passenger side windshield base.

Second pic shows white(tan, saddle?) interior w/featureless carpet area. Nothing in these pics can point to whether car is a /4 or /6.
Bleyseng
the second pic of the interior is too blurry for me to see if its a six steering column.

see if you can see the ignition key on the dash to the left of the column.
eitnurg
Looks like a 7,000 rpm tach.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Geoff,
Zooming in on the original shows nothing.......it's too dark. Working with the contrast and resolution tools reveal nothing either. Treading lightly, being ever mindful of SirAndy, I maintain that the lug bolt covers shown in the b/w photo are for 4 bolt pattern wheels. Those covers always have the raised center, that when used on VWs, have the VW logo stamped on them. When utilized on 914s, they were featureless in the center. Additionally, the four bolt pattern wheel covers fit OVER the raised circular portion of the steel wheel, whereas the five bolt pattern lug covers fit WITHIN the raised area of the wheel, as Gustls photo depicts.
Bleyseng
Thats probably quite true....

on the front trunk carpeting, it was standard on the 916? I have only seen this blue one in person at a gas station in Seattle a few years ago.

rear trunk pic
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 1 2006, 09:26 AM) *

Looks like a 7,000 rpm tach.

Looking at the original picture of the b/w pre-production car, the last number on the tach is 7, so I'm very certain that that car is/was a very early 4. The outside fuel filler never made production, I wonder if any 914s other than the /8s and some GTs had that feature.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 2 2006, 08:03 AM) *

The outside fuel filler never made production, I wonder if any 914s other than the /8s and some GTs had that feature.

actually, only the red /8 (914111) had the fuel filler on the cowl.

Click to view attachment

the silver /8 (914006) had a fuel filler door in the hood.

Click to view attachment

there was at least one other prototype with the same feature (a red 914/6, VIN unknown), see pic below ...

Click to view attachment

this car also had the front trunk carpet. also note the "flat" portion on the fender with a VIN decal attached

Click to view attachment

i have a few more pictures of that same car, the first one above shows it with 5-lug steel wheels and hubcaps, i have one more where it has 5-lug fuchs and 3 more where it has 5-lug gas burners.
the car also has the prototype trunk hinges and a prop-rod (like 914114) to hold up the rear hood.
it also has the prototype front fender/cowl/lower windshield corner, prototype chrome trim (doors and targa bar), no seam sealer, small rear trunk lock, the more square prototype tailllights and rear bumper.

bye1.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 2 2006, 06:34 PM) *

i have a few more pictures of that same car, the first one above shows it with 5-lug steel wheels and hubcaps, i have one more where it has 5-lug fuchs and 3 more where it has 5-lug gas burners.

in other words - you have the two early sales brochures biggrin.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 2 2006, 09:55 AM) *

in other words - you have the two early sales brochures biggrin.gif

thumb3d.gif Andy
eitnurg
Looks like the same car as shown on page 60 of DGVWPB. Has a Wolfsburg crest on the front.
Gustl
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 2 2006, 07:20 PM) *

Looks like the same car as shown on page 60 of DGVWPB. Has a Wolfsburg crest on the front.

agree.gif - also has the bright interior and the round ext. mirror
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 2 2006, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 2 2006, 07:20 PM) *

agree.gif - also has the bright interior and the round ext. mirror

agree.gif and don't forget the cowl fuel filler. also note, the fuel filler is far more to the side than on 914111 ...
SirAndy
a few things i never noticed,

it looks like the silver 914/8 (914006) had factory front and rear swaybars !

and look how they routed the shift-rod! to the right and under the pass. seat!

tranny is moved back a few inches, axles go in an angle forward ...

see the factory drawing on page 86/87 in DGVWPB ...
smile.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
So are these 3 cars.......really just 2 reconfigured prototypes.......or just 1 car, the Piech /8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.