Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suddenly, no power at all
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
I had just switched off my previously perfectly starting engine to go get some wrenches to adjust fuel pressure regulator. A moment later, I turn the key and get absolutely NOTHING.. no idiot light, no starter, no fuel pump....

If there is a significant blockage to flow for the fuel pump, would that kill some "master" fuse so I have absolutely no power? Pump was only running literally for 10 seconds. The front end is on jack stands so car isn't level. I know somewhere is a switch that kills the fuel pump if you wreck.. is this a mercury bubble type?

I've never had any problems with my ignition switch of any sort before.

No puffs of smoke..nothing...
SGB
i'll bet it is NOT related to your fuel pressure regulator or pumo. you've been swiching the car on and off messing withit? Is they trans ground good? Fuses?
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 26 2006, 09:30 PM) *

i'll bet it is NOT related to your fuel pressure regulator or pumo. you've been swiching the car on and off messing withit? Is they trans ground good? Fuses?

I installed the engine about 10 months ago and at that time scuffed up the transmission ground really well on both body and transaxle. Has started reliably and strongly ever since (new battery at that time also).

Tonight, the only things I did were:

1) reinstall head temp sensor (engine started fine after that)
2) reinstalled air distribution manifold for smog (in way of head temp access)
3) remount (was never disconnected) the MPS to body (in way of head temp access)
4) Open fuel pump door in front trunk to pull out fuel pump and hoses (in case of kinks)... made wiring connections tighter at spades and left it lying in trunk.

engine successfully restarted after all these things I 'touched' tonight. Then killed ignition, when to get wrenches, and the "Dead" situation...
TravisNeff
Make sure your coil terminals are not grounding out on the tin, that is an unfused link to the starter switch.
So.Cal.914
Something to check, if your battery cable clamps are loose or dirty a surge of

power can cause carbon & corrosion build up and all of the sudden... Nothing.

After that I would check the other grounds. If that is not it next I would borrow

someones battery, they can go all of the sudden under a load but in an hour show

voltage but die again under a load. Oh and check your pos cable at the starter.smile.gif
McMark
Turn the key to start position and hold it there while 'jiggling' the key in all directions. This can sometimes make a bad ignition switch contact. It sounds like a key switch to me.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 26 2006, 10:03 PM) *

Make sure your coil terminals are not grounding out on the tin, that is an unfused link to the starter switch.

Oh Oh.... (now reading this the morning after at work). I had pushed the air cleaner "Lid" aside. That might be have provided an opportunity to accidentily touch the coil contacts to ground. If that was the case, my "new" battery has been "dead" now for 8 hours......

finger.gif Damned you physics!!! chair.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 26 2006, 11:13 PM) *

Turn the key to start position and hold it there while 'jiggling' the key in all directions. This can sometimes make a bad ignition switch contact. It sounds like a key switch to me.

Hi Mark,

I did quite a bit of jiggling biggrin.gif ... (and then I went over and started shaking and twisting the key in the ignition switch!)

I was up too late last night so didn't go look at battery terminal voltage... if the battery is good, I'll start the power tracing..

cooltimes
MScott gave me a good tip when I had a like problem. Try a shot of grease to the solenoid switch. Could be sticking before and now just plain stuck.
Doesn't cost anything to try and probably needs lube anyhow.

MikeCool

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Sep 27 2006, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 26 2006, 11:13 PM) *

Hi Mark,

I did quite a bit of jiggling biggrin.gif ... (and then I went over and started shaking and twisting the key in the ignition switch!)

I was up too late last night so didn't go look at battery terminal voltage... if the battery is good, I'll start the power tracing..

Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Sep 27 2006, 07:46 AM) *

MScott gave me a good tip when I had a like problem. Try a shot of grease to the solenoid switch. Could be sticking before and now just plain stuck.
Doesn't cost anything to try and probably needs lube anyhow.

Are you decribing the starter solenoid? Even if it is stuck you still get power to the idiot lights and ignition.. I don't understand what you mean..
jsteele22

Sorry if this is too obvious, but...

My guess is that in doing the work, you accidentally bumped/tugged on a wire somewhere. I've had problems with AAR valve wire (insulation was dry/cracked, when it touched ground it would blow a fuse) and MPS connector (one of the contacts in the white plastic connector housing is loose; even the gentlest tug on that would cause the contact to slip out of the housing, just enough to disable the engine.)

If none of the specific recommendations other folks have made pan out, I'd just go though the engine bay wiggling, tugging gently (on the the wires, I mean) and looking for anything suspicious. A no-start is a frustrating thing to work out; sometimes you think of the cause, sometimes you just stumble upon it.

Good luck
Toast
Do you have an electronic ignition? If so, throw in a set of points and see if that works.
Dont ask me the saga behind why I suggest this. dry.gif
cooltimes
Oops. This idiot (me, myself & I) missed seeing that the idiot light was NOT working. I make an F for trying to help. Sorry bout that. sad.gif

MikeCool

[/quote]

Are you decribing the starter solenoid? Even if it is stuck you still get power to the idiot lights and ignition.. I don't understand what you mean..
[/quote]
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Sep 27 2006, 12:39 PM) *

Oops. This idiot (me, myself & I) missed seeing that the idiot light was NOT working. I make an F for trying to help. Sorry bout that. sad.gif

MikeCool

No apologees needed.. I appreciate the help

Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Sep 27 2006, 08:46 AM) *

Sorry if this is too obvious, but...

My guess is that in doing the work, you accidentally bumped/tugged on a wire somewhere. I've had problems with AAR valve wire (insulation was dry/cracked, when it touched ground it would blow a fuse) and MPS connector (one of the contacts in the white plastic connector housing is loose; even the gentlest tug on that would cause the contact to slip out of the housing, just enough to disable the engine.)

If none of the specific recommendations other folks have made pan out, I'd just go though the engine bay wiggling, tugging gently (on the the wires, I mean) and looking for anything suspicious. A no-start is a frustrating thing to work out; sometimes you think of the cause, sometimes you just stumble upon it.

Good luck

Thanks for the luck.... my luck reservoir got seriously drained several months ago when I had a run-in with 460 VAC and walked away with minor burns....

I definitely have cracked insulation all over the place (hope battery isn't nuked)...

I'll start the troubleshooting from the battery... will chime in when I'm clueless (expect much chiming)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.