Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plug choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I have been using NGK B8ES plugs in my SIX.
Seems to be nothing but great performance.

Is there a better plug?
I pulled one out today and it was dark tan/gray.

What does the NGK code mean, anyway?

thanks

KT
Joe Ricard
I think mine are B7ES
I think the 7 is heat range and S is for Suppresion.
Aaron Cox
NGK's rock!

you have a cdi box.. you can go to a colder plug if it doesnt foul (8 is up there tho)

NGK website lists what the codes mean...

the number (8) is opposite to bosch....

i thibk NGK states a b6ES for a 914/4 .. and i went to a colder plug 5 or 7.... cant remember probably 7
Trekkor
Yeah, I think I'm running a .045 gap, too.

KT
Joe Ricard
.050 gap with a Hyfire box and Mallory Pro E coil. and Magnacore wires.
brant

there are some really sweet racing plugs out there if you build that new high compression engine....

but they get kinda pricey though
the one's I'm coveting right now are $$$$, but provide actual clearance and actual dyno hp.....

brant
Joe Ricard
Ain't ya going to share?
show me the numbers
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 28 2006, 09:00 PM) *

.050 gap with a Hyfire box and Mallory Pro E coil. and Magnacore wires.

50 here also with the big coil....

trekk you have a CDI coil right? not a bosch blue....
Trekkor
bosch blue....

I have that.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 28 2006, 09:41 PM) *

bosch blue....

I have that.

KT

you arent maximizing your ignition potential......
Cap'n Krusty
B8ES is a REALLY cold plug. Like what you'd run in a 2.4 911S with MFI if you only drove it on the highway. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 28 2006, 09:47 PM) *

B8ES is a REALLY cold plug. Like what you'd run in a 2.4 911S with MFI if you only drove it on the highway. The Cap'n

or if you have a monster CDI box and coil....
Trekkor
I'm open to suggestions.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 28 2006, 09:54 PM) *

I'm open to suggestions.

KT

on plugs or CDI coils?
Trekkor
Yes...
bd1308
Bosch Supers.
Aaron Cox
MSD box reccomends an MSD high output low impedance CDI coil...
Mallory Hyfire box reccomends the same...

you will like the small packaging of a mallory promaster Ecoil...

the difference is in the resistance.

bosch blue coil ~ 3ohm.
CDI coil. 0.9 ish ohms....

dont exactly recall....

big difference.

your plugs are fine if they arent fouling. (cold enuff)

AA
Trekkor
I think the Blue coil was one of the acceptable coils for both the MSD and Pertronix applications.

I noticed today that the stickers on my blue coil are shriveled, as if from heat? confused24.gif

KT
bd1308
coils get hot, they shouldnt explode though.

brant
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 28 2006, 09:17 PM) *

Ain't ya going to share?
show me the numbers

No exact details or pictures to share yet.
wait till spring..

I'm rebuilding the top end (and P's/C's) in the next year or possibly 2 and will have details...
the plugs I've been researching are expensive though

brant
Trekkor
I was wondering if using a plug that is too hot or cold can damage the engine as opposed to just robbing me of potential power?

thanks

KT
pfierb
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 7 2006, 07:50 PM) *

I was wondering if using a plug that is too hot or cold can damage the engine as opposed to just robbing me of potential power?

thanks

KT

For sure running a plug that is too hot can do big damage to your engine like putting a hole in a piston......too cold will just foul out.
Allan
I'm running an MSD box, MSD Blaster II coil and Pertronix.

NGK B6ES plugs and it runs gud...
Trekkor
Here's my NGK B8ES's.

The three darker ones are from the passenger side.

KT
Trekkor
also, now that I run those dual glass packs, i can see that the passenger side puffs more visible light blue/grey smoke when idleing. ( side with darker plugs )

two plugs have a strange pitting. Almost arcing scoring or checking on the insulator and hex head.

second from the left and the one in this pic.

KT
Trekkor
After almost two years of *very hard* miles on an old motor of unknown origin, is it just time to replace the plugs?

KT
campbellcj
I'm running the BP7ES with good results. The 8's are very cold, probably marginal even for both of our cars with small sixes and mostly high-revving track usage. I have a set in my spares box but have not seen any reason to install 'em so far.
Trekkor
How would you describe the improvements by going to a 7 or even a 6 as compared to the current 8 NGK?

Thanks for your reply.

KT
pfierb
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 7 2006, 08:35 PM) *

Here's my NGK B8ES's.

The three darker ones are from the passenger side.

KT

Aside from the second plug from the right,in your picture,they seem to be running too cold.....B8ES is two heat ranges too cold for your car B6ES is the recommended plug for a 914.
Trekkor
I ordered a set of 6's. They should be in around noon.

I'll try them today.

Thanks

KT
campbellcj
FWIW here is a tech article on NGK's site -

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spar...&country=US

it explains the construction and heat range topics
iamchappy
Henry at Supertec recommended these plugs for my engine. I've not tried them out but Henry seems to know what he's talking about.
BKR6EKUB
Trekkor
OK-

They are in and the Vineyard Lap™ was good. rocking nana.gif

I noticed better throttle response right away and less bog when mashing the pedal.
I pulled a plug from the darker side, light and no soot.

While idleing I bent down and took a big whiff off the tail pipe unsure.gif
It doesn't smell like gas anymore.

May have solved the carb "problem" too.

Thanks for the help.

KT

McMark
From the above link:

If the tip temperature is lower than 500°C, the insulator area surrounding the center electrode will not be hot enough to burn off carbon and combustion chamber deposits. These accumulated deposits can result in spark plug fouling leading to misfire. If the tip temperature is higher than 850°C the spark plug will overheat which may cause the ceramic around the center electrode to blister and the electrodes to melt. This may lead to pre-ignition/detonation and expensive engine damage.

The 8 is a cold plug and doesn't accept much heat from the combustion process, therefore it might not be hot enough to burn off the carbon, leading to plug fouling over time. The more carbon on the plug electrode, the weaker and more erratic the spark.

The 6 plugs should be good. Keep an eye on the ceramic insulator for cracking or signs of running too hot.
Trekkor
Yes, my first mistake was going into FLAPS two years ago and asking for, "six of them 911 spark plugs ya got over there..." teef.gif

headbang.gif

KT
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 8 2006, 06:01 PM) *

Yes, my first mistake was going into FLAPS two years ago and asking for, "six of them 911 spark plugs ya got there..."

headbang.gif

KT

That's TWO mistakes. Going into a FLAPS for parts to fit a European car, and actually ASKING for those parts. Well, THREE mistakes. You bought what they told you to buy. BTW, the NGK book only goes back to the 80s, and lists nothing colder than a 6.

BTW, the 6 should be fine in your engine. The Cap'n
pfierb
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 8 2006, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 8 2006, 06:01 PM) *

Yes, my first mistake was going into FLAPS two years ago and asking for, "six of them 911 spark plugs ya got there..."

headbang.gif

KT

That's TWO mistakes. Going into a FLAPS for parts to fit a European car, and actually ASKING for those parts. Well, THREE mistakes. You bought what they told you to buy. BTW, the NGK book only goes back to the 80s, and lists nothing colder than a 6.

BTW, the 6 should be fine in your engine. The Cap'n

Go to NGK on line and you will find that they go back to 1956 for Porsche plug applications.
Paul F.
Trekkor
Great results on the track.

No more bogging.

Maybe I'll pull a plug out and take a picture.

KT
Jerry

I have been using NGK B8ES plugs in my SIX.
Is there a better plug?

Has anyone ever tried the Denso iridium plugs or the NGK iridium plugs?? Do they offer any performance or is it all hype???? Anybody ever dyoed these plugs???
jk76.914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 8 2006, 03:52 PM) *

Henry at Supertec recommended these plugs for my engine. I've not tried them out but Henry seems to know what he's talking about.
BKR6EKUB

I put a set of those in my Audi V8 last month. Exact part number. Factory plugs were Bosch FGR7KQEO, which have 4 electrodes. Apparently the Boschs are only available at the Audi dealer, and they have an Audi/VW logo not Bosch. They're also like $12 each! For anyone hankering to try a 4 electrode plug, there's a part number and source.

Anyway, I'll be putting a set of the NGKs in my 914 when I upgrade my ignition over the winter. Should be interesting.

Jim

Downunderman
BC6ES in my twin plug 2.7. The heat range is the same they just have the small (16mm) hex.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.