Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HCRDAN
Any idea what the problem(s) might be here?

73 914 2.0L, not driven much by prior owner. Tach works intermitently. May work well for a while, then the needle gets stuck somewhere. Last time it was around 3K RPM, today at 2.2K. Then sometime in the future, it will start to work again.

Second problem is the turn signal indicators in the tach. Sometimes they both flash, sometimes neither flash, when I put on turn signals. Signals on the outside work just fine.

When I put on emergency flasher, all lights blink as they should on the outside, but nothing blinks on the indicator lights in the dash.

Any ideas? Are these related or separate problems?

Thanks

DG
Tobra
perhaps dirty contacts on the signal indicator bulbs.

My tach does the same thing, I think it is a loose or corroded connection in mine, where it plugs into the back of the tach.
HCRDAN
Thanks for the feedback.

I pulled the tach today. With it out, I could see that there are two separate bulbs, one for each directions (left/right), and both flash when the turn signal is engaged either right or left. I uess I'll try a new flasher rela to see if this is the problem.

I also replaced the tach with another that I had laying around to see if the sticky needdle is a tach issue, or a sender issue. A few days driving will tell.

I'll then have the original tach repaired.

Thanks for the help.

ClayPerrine
The turn signal bulbs will both flash if you have the wrong bulbs in the outside sockets. Meaing a 2057 instead of an 1157 bulb. It can also be a bad ground. Check each of the bulb grounds, both at the front, in the engine compartment, and above the fuse block. Make sure that they are clean and shiny, and use a star washer to help insure they ground.

A bad ground above the fuse box would also affect the tach function.

jk76.914
If a left bulb is burned out, then both indicators will flash when you turn the left signal on. If a right bulb is out, then they both flash when you turn the right signal on....

This was actually intentionally designed in, so the driver could tell when a bulb was out. It's not the flasher.

I figured this out and posted it back in June or July.

Good luck!
Jim
jim_hoyland
Jim, Would you post a link to your previous thread; it really covered a lot of good info. I want to re-read it myself. thumb3d.gif

Jim_H
HCRDAN
QUOTE(HCRDAN @ Sep 30 2006, 05:47 PM) *

Tach works intermitently. May work well for a while, then the needle gets stuck somewhere. Last time it was around 3K RPM, today at 2.2K. Then sometime in the future, it will start to work again.

Second problem is the turn signal indicators in the tach. Sometimes they both flash, sometimes neither flash, when I put on turn signals. Signals on the outside work just fine.

OK, so here is an update:

Tach: Replaced it with another tach, and this one has not shown same symptoms. So problem is inside the old tach. I'll send it to speedometer.com to have RickBorth work his magic since he is local to me.

Turn signals: Made sure I had good bulbs all around. Ended up ordering and replacing the flasher relay. That solved the problem.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

jk76.914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 1 2006, 09:39 PM) *

Jim, Would you post a link to your previous thread; it really covered a lot of good info. I want to re-read it myself. thumb3d.gif

Jim_H

Hi Jim,

Here's the link. Sorry about the delay, I didn't see your request until today.

Jim

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=47236&hl=
JPB
Sweet, that explains the blinking problems I just encountered last time I drove it.

beer.gif Good questions.
hedgehog
how do I save this thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.