Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Being REALLY stupid!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd66921
Okay, here's the stupid one - changing the oil for the first time and trying to
remove the oil filter. It rotated about 1 turn, and then went "thunk". No more
rotate! Is there a trick, a catch, a protruding thing it catches on? The sides look
clear, andI can't find anything on the top either. I don't want to force anything.

It feels like it is catching toward the front of the engine, but trying to bend it
down there doesn't seem to work either.

Nothing goes easily on this car, huh?

Help!! 1.8 L-Jet, if it matters.

Thanks,

Jeff
ptravnic
What happens when you try to go back the other way? Will it tighten back up? I've never heard of stripping the threads but I guess it's possible...

-pt
SGB
It turns freely by hand until it catches??
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
What are you using to loosen the filter? The wrench/tool designed for it, a "universal" filter wrench, or your hands?
Flat VW
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 2 2006, 08:30 AM) *

I've never heard of stripping the threads but I guess it's possible...

-pt

It has been done before.

John wavey.gif
jd66921
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 2 2006, 08:34 AM) *

Jeff,
What are you using to loosen the filter? The wrench/tool designed for it, a "universal" filter wrench, or your hands?

It will tighten up again, no clicks or anything.

I had to loosen it with a web wrench, it was tight! Now I am just using my hands.

I makes a thunk sound so it seems to be hitting something, but I can't find
anything for it to hit. It seems to be stuck pretty solidly in that direction.

Is there anything close that it could catch on?

Thanks for the ideas!

Jeff
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
How many complete turns does the filter make from the time its seated at the engine 'till it makes your "thunk" sound. I can't imagine the filter cartridge is hitting anything.
SGB
Even if it was hitting something it should slide on by...
I've never had this happen.
I believe I would take it somewhere (not a quicky oil change but a real and qualified garage) and see if the bottom of the filter could be cut off to see if there is a way to attack it from the inside.
bd1308
LOL I remember shaggy's little mishap with the oil filter console.

What I would do is find a replacement console, then take a screwdriver and stab the oil filter through the side and use your foot to spin the filter off.

Chances are the threads are already gone, so any attempt to recitfy the problem is just time wasted.

b
jd66921
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 2 2006, 08:57 AM) *

Even if it was hitting something it should slide on by...
I've never had this happen.
I believe I would take it somewhere (not a quicky oil change but a real and qualified garage) and see if the bottom of the filter could be cut off to see if there is a way to attack it from the inside.

It makes about one complete turn.

Cutting it was my thought too. But I will probably do it myself. Just seems so
messy though!!! May take a few beer3.gif too.

Never have had this happen to me before. I usually just drop the filter at the last
second!! blink.gif

Any othe ideas?

I appreciate it!!

Jeff
Chris Pincetich
Wierd...my first oil change I spent 15 minutes taking some of the heating ducting off so I could really see up in there and get a good angle on loosening the filter (I don't have a good strap wrench). That might be a good move for you to get a better view of what is wrong. Good luck! beerchug.gif
jd66921
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 2 2006, 09:11 AM) *

Wierd...my first oil change I spent 15 minutes taking some of the heating ducting off so I could really see up in there and get a good angle on loosening the filter (I don't have a good strap wrench). That might be a good move for you to get a better view of what is wrong. Good luck! beerchug.gif

The area is wide open. I don't have any heater flappers or hoses in the way.

I'm glad I decided to NOT do this before RRC!! It's the story of my life - f it all up!
Toast
051103-stupid4.gif

Just kidding Jeff. wink.gif

I have no technical knowledge to give. confused24.gif
TROJANMAN
Jeff,
Don't listen to Toast, she drains here oil just by driving her car down the street poke.gif
or by leaving it in a hotel parking lot smile.gif

Here is the style of tool I use.

Click to view attachment

works pretty easy, and gets it out a little straighter than a strap
(available at WALMART)

Perhaps are you hitting the engine bar when you turn?
Flat VW
Jeff,

When Shaggy (Jim) gets home from school today I'm sure he will have some experience to share with you on this subject.

John blink.gif
bd1308
av-943.gif
Mark Henry
There's always the old screwdriver trick.

Then you get to wipe up the spilled oil with your hair.
jhadler
Does your car have an auxiliary oil cooler?? If so, it might be the sandwich plate adapter that loosened up and is spinning with the filter...

Just a WAG, but a "thunk" doesn't make me think stripped threads...

-Josh2
Aaron Cox
stab it wif a screwdriver and turn.....

JPB
AAAhhhh, righty tighty lefty loosy, LUCIE!!!

beer.gif Splane sontin to me Lucie was BFH? Is Big Foragin Hammer Ricky..
jd66921
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 2 2006, 10:15 AM) *

Does your car have an auxiliary oil cooler?? If so, it might be the sandwich plate adapter that loosened up and is spinning with the filter...

Just a WAG, but a "thunk" doesn't make me think stripped threads...

-Josh2

Got it!!

My neighbor came over and was as confused as I was. So, we took a big
screwdriver and drove it through the bottom of the filter. Then he twisted it off.

It came off with some pieces on top of it!! Looks to be the oil relief ball, spring,
and cap. That must have dropped down and hit the series of holes in the top
of the filter. A little brute force twisted the seat off the valve.

Now I just need to reseat the relief valve!! Looks easy enough!

Thanks for all the help. By the way, I didn't have any problem draining the oil. I
did it the normal way, not by driving! (sorry Toast!)

Jeff

shaggy
if you did strip it, prepare to drop the engine. dry.gif

i stripped one by over tightening it.

one easy say to tell if its stripped is to start the car. if it pukes out all of the oil in about 5 seconds you have a problem, be sure to have your friend lay dirrectly under it when this is happening so that he can confirm the leak happy11.gif

what happened to me was i had to drop the engine then remove the fan assembly as well as the oil cooler.
then the oil filter assembly can be removes by un doing 2 nuts.
youll need a new assembly(i have an extra if you need it)
as well as a new gasket(i can get one simply if you need it and dont have local vw shops)
while your in there you should prolly change the oil cooler seals and do a valve adjustment.

then engine dosent have to be removed form the tranny to do this and peilcan has a perfect how to on removing the engine.

hope that helps some.
prepare for an onslaught of jokes about how you cant operate a screw...

-shaggy

project-914
you could be turning it the wrong way and the thunk every one or so turns is the threads re-aligning...now that would suck...and if that happened...then I'm sorry

my brother tightened his a full turn...before he realized he was going the wrong way...I just shook my head
Mark Henry
If that assembly is pooched you may have to replace the filter mount, you are by-passing the filter altogether!
Mark Henry
You might be able to replace the spring, ball and insert and peen the the insert in place. Or you have to replace the whole filter adaptor. Never seen one fall apart, check for damage.
jd66921
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 2 2006, 03:36 PM) *

If that assembly is pooched you may have to replace the filter mount, you are by-passing the filter altogether!

Not sure if people are respnding to my last post.

I reseated the relief valve by re-inserting the spring and ball, and then re-seated
the cap with a socket and extension and a rubber mallet. It all looks right now,
I have oil pressure and no oil leaks. Took 5 seconds to build oil pressure and
turn off the oil warning light after I refilled everything and started it.

Sure was a strange problem. I hope the relief valve stays in place!

Thanks,

Jeff

Mark Henry
Did you peen the edge over a bit? If you just knocked it back in it may just pop back out again.
jd66921
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 2 2006, 04:04 PM) *

Did you peen the edge over a bit? If you just knocked it back in it may just pop back out again.

The "seat" thing was tapered, and seemed to be a tight fit as I tapped it back in.
I had to hit it pretty hard with the rubber mallet to get it all the way in. I guess w'll
find out how well I got it in in a couple thousand miles! I will change the oil
early the next time to make sure the thing is right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.