Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever seen a muffler turn red hot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I have and I have no idea why the F it's happening. Fresh top end rebuild, trying to get it going post rebuild.

I'm at my wits end...

-pt
Aaron Cox
LEAN
Mikey914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 7 2006, 07:50 PM) *

I have and I have no idea why the F it's happening. Fresh top end rebuild, trying to get it going post rebuild.

I'm at my wits end...

-pt

Too rich, unburnt fuel burning in the exhaust system. Let me guess, Carbs?
So.Cal.914
When I first got my car and it still had FI I would run from LA to San Diego.

When I got there and shut it down the engine would be makeing a tinking sound

the tail pipe was white and the pipes would be glowing. Lean in my case.
Rider914
Lean, late timing.

Ping!

My headers glow at night
URY914
Somewhat unrelated but this is cool anyway...

I friend of mine had a Baja bug with stinger that stuck about 3 feet above the engine. You've all seen them. He use to run it rich as piss and adjust the timing where he would get a flame about 2 feet long jumping out of the pipe. Looked kool at night.
We were young, what can I say... confused24.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 7 2006, 10:52 PM) *

I'm at my wits end...

-pt

Running FI
Bleyseng
You need to check the AFR...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 7 2006, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 7 2006, 10:52 PM) *

I'm at my wits end...

-pt

Running FI

I would bet your A:F is on the lean side. I saw this on my Boxster when I installed a chip and intake and exhaust all at the same time. The car was suddenly lean due to all the modifications. I had it dyno tuned and the whole exhaust system was glowing bright red until the mixture was adjusted with the laptop.
PORobinSCHE
Definately lean, and timing is off!
Jake Raby
Sounds like the EGT is screaming at you.. Two things cause high EGT:
Lean conditions
retarded timing
or both.

At any rate the exhaust valves are hating life, tuning an engine is EVERYTHING!! New engines have little tolerance for being ran lean or retarded.

Is this engine equipped with stock EFI, or carbs? What dizzy do you have?

One other thing to consider is that the exhaust system is inadequate or has some sort of obstruction blocking the hot gasses from exiting the muffler. I have seen old muffler internally crumble and clog the baffles with crap that internally limit the flow...
rmital
I've been working with Pete, or at least trying to learn something right from the start with his project....was there last night when the "glow" accured.

I need some help here to further understand...abbrevations?

EGT = ?

A:F = ?

AFR = ?

thanks,
Ray
VaccaRabite
EGT == Exhaust Gas Temperature.
A:F == Air to Fuel Ratio.
AFR == Air to Fuel Ratio.
Look at the posts above for what is going on, and correct the AFR.

Zach
Dr Evil
C'mon Pete, give them the rest of the story rolleyes.gif :

D-jet using 1.7 injectors on a 2056 (?) that he is bumping up the FP on to try to compensate and the motor is hunting like crazy.

= low gas and lots of air.
Howard
It's our new clean burn CA requirements. 100:1 AF ratio. Doesn't run worth a shit, but saves the spotted owls and snail darters.
nycchef
posting for pete. timing was off, mixture was wrong, and there is something mechanically wrong with the throttle, but it is 99% fixed and running well.
GTPatrick
Only if it were wool and dyed in the color Red and worn by a red hot chica ! ! ! happy11.gif
turboman808
glowing red just means you are going fast biggrin.gif
ptravnic
Yeah, what Richie said. We must have had it timed to the TDC rather than the 27deg mark. slap.gif Which is why we were getting crappy power too. As for the 1.7L FI setup. I have a line on a 2.0L throttle body & 1.8L manifolds. The hunt is on for 2.0L plenum and 2.0L injectors.

Nearly out of the woods. Running the fuel pressure @ 32psi to compensate for the 1.7L injectors. The rest will get sorted before any serious trips. The most driving it will see this season is a trip to Buffalo (400 miles) to store it for the winter.

A refurbished harness is also in order. If all this becomes too cumbersome, there's a couple sets of carbs in Buffalo to experiment with...
jsteele22

Hey all,

Just to tag onto this thread... I've definitely heard that running lean causes higher combustion temps, but I don't understand why. My guess (I know this is wrong) would be that running at stoich would be hottest, since you get the "most" combustion. Anybody got a good answer ?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.