Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spec Boxster Donor Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
McMark
Bill/Brad, I suggest you start thinking about assigning people to various projects ahead of time. If not, you're going to have spectators doing nothing. Good for learning, but bad for progress.

I'll bring some misc tools, including my plasma cutter and MIG, just in case. I can be there Friday night as well if it'll help. wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Yep. I had already started thinking about "who" is going to do "what"

I figured Bill and I would put that list together as we stood in front of the car Friday night.

Plasma will be perfect for cutting the doors clap56.gif and knocking off some of the 1 million studs that protrude from the tub after you get the carpet out!!

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 11 2006, 12:18 PM) *

I'm going to Robs place after work to bid on some computer work. I'll make sure everything is good on the nose shipping!

Rob is one street over from MOM and I'm 2 over from him.

B

B,

I'm also going to be purchasing the lightweight GT3 inner door covers with the 944 latches that he fabricates. When he told me how little they cost in relation to the solution, I couldn't resist. We still do all the cutting and lightening of the doors, but it will be covered in a nice clean look and still have indentations for the cage's x-bracing.

This car is shaping up to be totally trick. And in the budget of race cars, this thing is relatively cheap to build. Note that I said "relatively".... barf.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.

nine14cats
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 11 2006, 12:19 PM) *

Bill/Brad, I suggest you start thinking about assigning people to various projects ahead of time. If not, you're going to have spectators doing nothing. Good for learning, but bad for progress.

I'll bring some misc tools, including my plasma cutter and MIG, just in case. I can be there Friday night as well if it'll help. wink.gif

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the offer of the plasma and mig and please bring them!

I see B just posted a response, but perhaps between the 3 of us we can get alot of the stripping done on Friday night. As discussed, we have room for you to stay with us.

I'll talk with Brad and get back to you on scheduling.

Thanks again!

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
My initial thoughts were: 10k for the home user to build one+ purchase price of the car.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 11 2006, 02:01 PM) *

My initial thoughts were: 10k for the home user to build one+ purchase price of the car.

B

That is pretty much on the mark if you build a Spec Boxster to the letter of the law on a tight budget. You can get into the low $9K's to 9.5's if you don't buy extra rims, tires, quick disconnect steering wheel, etc. Also, the bold in Safety Devices cage will cost half the amount as a stick builty.

No frills and a sanctioned POC race car for less than $10K in parts. Not bad I'd say...

Bill P.
nine14cats
B,

How many liters of Pentosin will I need to flush the car? I just had 2 liters show up at my doorstep last night.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
That will be more than enough. You will have almost a full can left over for the track.

B
Brad Roberts
Hey Bill...UMMM?? LOL I scheduled the flight for this weekend..LOL

I'll change it. I just noticed in the "Fritz" thread your "honey do's" for this weekend.

GF will be happy..LOL

OOPS.

Hopefully they dont charge me anything to change the date.

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 12 2006, 04:54 PM) *

How many liters of Pentosin will I need to flush the car?

Just curious... what is Pentosin?
Series9
Man, I wish I could play.
DanT
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 12 2006, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 12 2006, 04:54 PM) *

How many liters of Pentosin will I need to flush the car?

Just curious... what is Pentosin?

DOT 4 brake fluid...good stuff
Jeroen
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 13 2006, 02:56 AM) *

DOT 4 brake fluid...good stuff

OK... thanks for clearing that up
nine14cats
QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 12 2006, 05:49 PM) *

Man, I wish I could play.

Too bad you weren't closer Joe. It would be great to have you on the build team!

Bill P.
nine14cats
Pentosin has extremely high boiling temps...

300 degrees C. And the so-called "wet" boiling point is 200 degrees C. Very nice properties indeed.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
And it is $15 a can or cheaper. Those numbers are higher than the high dollar Castrol stuff we have been using for a few years.

Pentosin is the supplier to Porsche for all the late model cars. They supply the brake fluid and power steering fluid.

It is called: Pentosin Racing brake fluid. We will carry it here in the store as soon as it is up and running.

B
nine14cats
Brad,

I measured the PSS9's from the bottom of the threads to the bottom of the adjustable collars:

Front = 35mm
Rears = 22mm

Gratuitous pics attached.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Getting ready for the build party. I started unboxing all the parts and getting organized.

Here's a pic of the GT3 front nose and some of the boxes that the parts came in.

Bill P.
nine14cats
And organizing the parts to go on for the build team. We will have a person at each corner. Another will pull the doors and cut them out.

I picked up some nice little carts at Target for $20. All parts are set out and marked for Front Left, Rear Left, etc. I also picked up plastic bins for $3 to put in the hardware. I want to make it as easy as possible for all the folks helping me. I appreciate their efforts!

Bill P.

nine14cats
another shot of the racks....

nine14cats
One more...I like the racks!

nine14cats
Some seats for the spec car....

Bill P.
J P Stein
Bill:
I used the phrase "...spending money like a drunken sailor" to describe my wife's spending on my daughters first wedding. Now, you and my wife have something in common.

How's the beast comming along? laugh.gif

nine14cats
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 14 2006, 08:09 PM) *

Bill:
I used the phrase "...spending money like a drunken sailor" to describe my wife's spending on my daughters first wedding. Now, you and my wife have something in common.

How's the beast comming along? laugh.gif

JP,

You know I ain't no sailor! drunk.gif

I"ll be thinning the herd quite a bit over the coming months. Mommy is not going to allow me to keep everything..... laugh.gif

Status of The Beast:

It goes to powdercoat next week. It is on the trailer and ready for delivery. The tub is completely stripped and prepped.

I have the Ground Control shocks here at home. I will box them up and send them to GC for a "tune up". They get $50 a corner to tear them apart, clean them and put new N2 in them. Pretty good deal considering they have been sitting around for years.

We will have a party for that one too!

Bill P.
Jeroen
Nicely organized!
Which Sparco's are those (the seats - the type is hard to see in the pic)?
nine14cats
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 15 2006, 03:41 AM) *

Nicely organized!
Which Sparco's are those (the seats - the type is hard to see in the pic)?

Hi Jeroen,

The seats are Sparco Pro2000's. They are the same model I use in Frtiz. They fit my butt the most comfortably of all the seats I tried. My original set for the 914-6 2.8 was Corbeau's. When I picked up The Beast I had some time so I sat in all kinds of seats (Recaro, Kirkey, you name it). I found that even the Sparco EVO's are a tad too narrow for my comfort. The EVO 2's are a tad too wide. The PRO2000 model is in-between.

And they are light!

Bill P.
Dave-O
It must take discipline to not tear into that car right now with all those nice parts sitting around! biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Oct 15 2006, 06:24 PM) *

It must take discipline to not tear into that car right now with all those nice parts sitting around! biggrin.gif

I'm definitely itching to tear into the car, but I'm really going to enjoy watching and working with all the folks coming over to help. It will be more enjoyable than working on it myself.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Thanks for measurements Bill. I'll get the numbers this week.

The seats will look AWESOME in the car.

Great idea on the racks!

B
nine14cats
Dyno results are in for the Spec Boxster. I took it to Dynospot in San Jose for a rear wheel (chassis dyno). European Car Magazine had a project Boxster 2.5L car a few years ago. They got 168 RWHP.

What do you know....I got 169 RWHP and 149 ft/lbs TQ on my pulls for a dead stock motor. PPI I had done on the car had good compression and leakdown numbers, so it looks like the motor is okay.

Let the mods begin!

Here's the dyno graph. The 2.5 has a fairly flat Torque curve from 3500 RPM to 6100RPM.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Data. I have it in 100 RPM increments. I cut it down.

Bill P.
DanT
Those numbers pretty much echo the feel I get in my stocker...
My buttometer is calibrated pretty good. biggrin.gif

And if you didn't get my PM.....I WILL be there on Sat am for the big fun burnout.gif smash.gif
nine14cats
It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare with more air running through the motor..... happy11.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 18 2006, 05:58 PM) *

Those numbers pretty much echo the feel I get in my stocker...
My buttometer is calibrated pretty good. biggrin.gif

And if you didn't get my PM.....I WILL be there on Sat am for the big fun burnout.gif smash.gif

The gang is going to all be here!......

Oh Yeah!...... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif w00t.gif

beerchug.gif

I'm really looking forward to it.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Cool on the numbers. I got 172 or so from our car through the stock muffler/cats amd paper air cleaner on RACE gas.

The torque is dead on with what I had. It is also easy to feel this.

I didnt have the sheets to show you online. They are buried in the Boxster folder at the shop.

B
Brad Roberts
I set the shift light at 6200, factory fuel cutoff is something like 6900 or so. I know I have a few 100 rpm after the shift light comes on to continue with my foot down before the ignition/fuel cutoff.

I end up driving the car in 4th gear a lot with the light on..LOL

B
nine14cats
Camber plates are here.

Here's a pic of what came with them. 2 little collars.

There are (6) threaded holes that locate the plates. Does the stock hardware fit these or do I have to source some hardware before this weekend?

Bill P.

Brad Roberts
Um...

You will need to buy hardware. The stock stuff uses studs with nuts.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 18 2006, 06:20 PM) *

Um...

You will need to buy hardware. The stock stuff uses studs with nuts.

B

What am I going to need? I've got 2 days to find it.... blink.gif

Bill P.
GTeener
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 8 2006, 05:29 AM) *

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 7 2006, 10:00 PM) *

ooh, that looks way to nice to turn into a race car!!! couldn't you find a wrecker??

laugh.gif yeah, I know. Doris has fallen in love with the car as is and wants to drive it as a commuter car to her work (I've been letting her "bond" with the car since we got it). She said the same thing...can't you find a beater car to gut?

I want a clean platform from the start. No dents, rust, holes, etc. This car certainly meets the criteria.

Bill P.

Tell Doris we have a 2005 Boxster S with under 10K miles the we want to sell. She can drive her own daily smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Take the plate with you to a decent hardware store.

They appear to be M8x1.25 holes.

I personally would want the bolt to pass up and through the plate and be caught on the top with a M8x1.25 nylock.

I have NO idea what they are without having it in my hands.

The tub is thin. So the bolt only needs to pass through the plate and thin metal.

I would start with: M8x12.5x20's

Stock appears to be M8x1.25. I know the nuts are 13mm that go on the studs. This typically yields a M8X1.25 stud.

B
nine14cats
B,

I have a metric nut and bolt box in the trailer. The bolts are M8x1.25 threads. I was looking at the 13mm nuts and they have the serrated flange, which I thought we could re-use. The other option is to use lock washers and nylock nuts.

I spoke with McMark and with Sportech and they said grade 8.8 from the hardware stores should be fine.

I'll be making a hardware run tonight after dinner. I'll get different lengths to allow us options.

McMark is bringing the spring compressors.

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 19 2006, 01:47 PM) *

ooh, that looks way to nice to turn into a race car!!! couldn't you find a wrecker??

laugh.gif yeah, I know. Doris has fallen in love with the car as is and wants to drive it as a commuter car to her work (I've been letting her "bond" with the car since we got it). She said the same thing...can't you find a beater car to gut?

I want a clean platform from the start. No dents, rust, holes, etc. This car certainly meets the criteria.

Bill P.

Tell Doris we have a 2005 Boxster S with under 10K miles the we want to sell. She can drive her own daily smile.gif

Hi Gwen,

I think the 2005 will be a little out of our price range for now....I've got several cars to sell yet to replenish the savings account!.... laugh.gif

Why are you bagging the "S"?

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Not sure why you think we need a spring compressor??

I have never used one on a Boxster.

B

Brad Roberts
8.8 is fine, but if we go with factory torque specs + 1lb.. 8.8 isnt needed. Generic works fine. I promise Porsche didnt use a 8.8 stud... they snap off all the time.. ask me how I know smile.gif

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 19 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Not sure why you think we need a spring compressor??

I have never used one on a Boxster.

B

Uncompressed, the springs on the bils go over the threaded top of the shock. To put on the hat, we would either need to compress the springs or to lower threaded height collars.

If they are preset at a certain height, I thought it would be easier to compress the springs to put the hats on rather than dick with the threaded collars. Seemed faster.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
The "tender" spring should be able to be collasped by hand. Put the plate on and push down with body weight and thread on the nut.

The tenders are under 100lbs worth of spring (have been in the past) They almost serve no purpose. When the car is on the ground they are fully collapsed and server no othr purpose but to keep everything from flopping around when the car is unloaded.

I *think* you will find that conventional spring compressors wont fit between the tight coils on the Bilstein springs.

B
Brad Roberts
Bill,

I sent you an email with this .eps file and wanted to show everyone what Jeroen is capable of!!!

B
GTeener
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 19 2006, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 19 2006, 01:47 PM) *

Bill P.

Hi Gwen,

I think the 2005 will be a little out of our price range for now....I've got several cars to sell yet to replenish the savings account!.... laugh.gif

Why are you bagging the "S"?

Bill P.

It doesn't get driven enough and I'd like to start saving for a home of my own. We're still paying for it. Rather bank the money than drive it wink.gif

It's beautiful and a fun drive (seal gray on gray with hard top, 19" rims), but doesn't get enough attention.

Doris is a working woman. She can pay us a portion of what we've put in to it and take over payments --
Win-win smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Leaving work now! Headed home to grab "stuff" and head to the airport.

See you soon Bill (dont forget me) alfred.gif

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.