Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: philadelphia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vortrex
anyone on the board from philadelphia? just looking for opinions from the experts on where to live. I'd like a garage (I know, next to impossible in the city) and also not live in the ghetto or near too many old people. I've got to move in 3 weeks, any advice would be great.

also, are there any decent 914 shops in the area?
Part Pricer
I'm originally from Philadelphia. My parents and my sister still live in the area. My daughter goes to college at Drexel University. And, I have a lot of friends in the area. So, I do know a little about Philadelphia.

Now, regarding where to live, that depends where you are going to be working. You don't want to commute from South Jersey if you're working on the Main Line. There are a lot of different options avalable. Where will your office be?

Now, there is really only one 914 guy in the area. That is Fred Avery at I Service Imports in Cherry Hill, NJ. Fred has been a Porsche wrench for years and at one time campained 914s.
vortrex
thanks for the info paul. I will be working in cherry hill, nj. I'll also have a car, so public transport is not much of a concern. just want a decent neighborhood that's somewhat interesting. I'm not too much interested in suburbia.
Part Pricer
OK. Cherry Hill is an interesting area. It has a bit of suburbia, a bit of snobishness but also has a few redeeming values. From Cherry Hill, you can be in Center City Philadelphia in 15-20 minutes if you are not driving during rush hours.

Cherry Hill can be a bit expensive to buy a home, but there are some surrounding communities that are a little more affordable. Are you looking for a house or an apartment?
Brad Roberts
Cherry Hill Porsche used to sponsor/campaign several 911's in the IMSA days when it was called the EXXON SuperFlow world challenge. I have the Cherry Hill Tee-shirt from 198-something.

Sounds like a nice area.

You'll move just in time to visit the Hershey Porsche swap meet.

B
vortrex
I would be looking to buy a place. I'm actually more interested in living on the philly side and commuting the 8 miles to work in cherry hill. I prefer more of an "urban" setting such as center city or possibly areas like mt airy or germantown (even though I haven't seen that area yet). have you been there? least I could get a garage in those parts.
Part Pricer
The biggest problem with CC, Germantown, Manayunk, etc. will be garage space. Those are some great areas though.

I friend of mine lives at 8th & Kater (1/2 block from South St.). He has a one-car attached garage. He figures that the garage adds about 90K to the value of his house.

Drop me an email with some of the particulars that you may be looking for in a house and neighborhood. I can give you some direction.
ChrisReale
They have good steak sandwiches mueba.gif
Part Pricer
One thing that you should consider about living in Philadelphia is the city wage tax. Even though you will be working in Cherry Hill, you must pay Philadelphia 4.5% of your income for the privledge of living in the city.
joea9146
How about Yardley PA nice area not far from what I can remember from
cherryhill or philly
Zeke
You should be so lucky as to live near a bunch of "old" poeple. They are home a lot and watch your house. They don't play rap music in the street. They get annoyed easily and are not apt to own some POS dog that barks all night. If I could, I'd be the youngest person for miles. You don't have to watch TV with them or invite them to dinner although you might fine their stories a bit more interesting than say a group of gang bangers out on the street. ar15.gif
vortrex
hah, believe me I'd be watching tv and playing bingo with the seniors before I dealt with listening to the gang bangers rap music and their other antics. biggrin.gif
vortrex
could this be a sign? here's a house for sale in center city philly that has a garage (rare), you see what's parked right outside? biggrin.gif
Part Pricer
What neighborhood is that?
vortrex
that's the art museum district.
Part Pricer
That area, and the area right around the Ben Franklin Parkway, are great. There is a lot to do and it is a fairly...um, respectable area. However, you should be aware that the neighborhood drastically changes as you get closer to Spring Garden St. and completly changes after Fairmount Ave.
vortrex
yeah I was trying to find art museum last week when I was there, but ended up around fairmount ave. I know what you mean. art museum is appealing to me because it's close to the park. my realtor says art museum has really turned around in the last 5 years and the houses are still on avg the lowest priced in center city. definitely will check that area out more when I arrive.
Sammy
I spent some time in the Malvern area, about 1/2 hour north west of philly. Beautiful area, decent people, great roads. Not sure about the real estate prices, seemed like an upscale area.
I know you said you didn't want ot commute, but in So Cal a 1/2 hour drive is practically next door laugh.gif
vortrex
yeah I am trying to simplify my life. in the bay area I commuted 30 miles each way into silicon valley. I hate traffic. if I live in philly it's about 8 miles I think to the office.
cgnj
Hi,

I grew up in Philadelphia and live about 25 miles east of in Medford, NJ. If your single, living inthe city is the way to go. Art Museum, Olde City, Queens Village, and Society Hill would be the places to move to. If your married and have kids, unless you plan to have your kids in private school, you should live in Mt. Laurel, Medford, Medford Lakes or Marlton. More east is better, less congestion.

The wage tax issue is a big issue, in addition to the wage tax, PA state will grab at least 2%. And you can't offset your state bill by the amount you pay the city. Car insurance is terrible in Philadelphia, marginally less in NJ, I would be looking into insurance right now, I moved 10 miles further from Philly and my insurance went down $600/year.

I Service Imports worked on my first 914 in the early 80's. I do my own work now. Outside stuff I take to Three Brothers in Medford.

Good luck on your move. Feel free to look me up.

Carlos

76 2270
76 project
vortrex
soon to be 32 and single, well single with GF. that wage tax is annoying, but if I've got to pay it to live somewhere I want I will. at least it's another deduction. biggrin.gif I've heard about the insurance nightmare out there, I do need to call and get a quote. I'm actually thinking of getting a new car too. hmmm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.